Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2 door or unlimited?

Old 08-11-2008, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 door or unlimited?

Hey guys, so I am going to be ordering a JK in the next 6 to 9 months, and I am torn on which one to get. I really want a 2 door, and have since they came out, but I also like the unlimited. this will primarily be my daily driver, with the occasional excursion to Breckenridge, or other places in western colorado. I have 2 boys, one is 5 and the other is 2. My concern is on those trips Fishing, camping, snowboarding, or wheeling, will I have room to bring gear. I would prefer not to put a wilderness rack on the roof, but I would do a basket from the hitch. At this point these trips would only be 4 or 5 per year. my mind is telling me go for an unlimited, but if I could justify a 2 door then I would go that route. so do you guy's think the cargo area in the 2 door would holda couple duffle bags, and a small tent, with a cooler, and extra outdoor gear on a hitch basket? or should I just go with the unlimited.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd say go with the unlimited for that kind of cargo. The only way to get decent room in the two door is to remove the rear seats, which is how mine is right now. Rear seat access is also a big pain if you haven't looked at that already.

I think of the two door as a 2 seater with emergency seats in in the back.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

hmm, yeah that makes alot of sense. most of those trips will be when they are a little older, I can remember getting into the back of my dad's yj when I was 14. I didnt realize that the unlimited's cargo area is almost 3 times bigger too. so I gues it's going to be be down to what color I get...... my oldest like Flame Red, my wife like Red Rock, and I prefer Yellow, Black, and White.... choices choices....
Old 08-11-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

4 door all the way, with or without kids. The extra space is so worth it. The 2nd row folds flat, so you basically have a pick up truck as well. Here's a pic of my kids and me in my Jeep. Take a look at the 3rd row seat I installed, which you can get at:

http://www.littlepassengerseats.com/4_dr_jeep_wrangler.htm

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=48163&page=3

Last edited by toad; 08-11-2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Please refrain from direct links to non-sponsored vendors. :) Thank you!
Old 08-11-2008, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by echofoxtrot
I think of the two door as a 2 seater with emergency seats in in the back.
That's how I feel about my truck. 2 seater but has emergency seats in the rear for when you HAVE to put someone back there.

If you can afford it, get the Unlimited. I would rather have more cabin room than I need than not have enough when I need it.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys, thats exactly the kinda info i was looking for. So it looks like a Yellow Rubi will be in my future.....
Old 08-11-2008, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went thru the same dilemma. In the end, the kids didn't mind clambering into the back of the 2dr (I had a 2dr car before the jeep anyways), it's all good fun to them. To solve the gear storage issue, I am ordering a small offroad trailer to take camping/biking gear, cost less than the extra doors would have and I'm not lugging around and trying to park an extra few feet of truck all the time when I don't need it. You can get anything from a 6'x4' utility trailer to a lifted camping setup these days. A lockable lid also solves the probs of secure storage in the Jeep when away from home.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2dr- been there. NO MORE

Did the 2dr style for 13 years, got really TIRED of planning every outing around the space available in the back of the 2dr. Rented a 4dr JK, absolutely No comparison. Bought one in December, there are no driving issues, it's just as easy to drive and park as my 2 dr was.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:14 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Ldogg
Hey guys, so I am going to be ordering a JK in the next 6 to 9 months, and I am torn on which one to get. I really want a 2 door, and have since they came out, but I also like the unlimited. this will primarily be my daily driver, with the occasional excursion to Breckenridge, or other places in western colorado. I have 2 boys, one is 5 and the other is 2. My concern is on those trips Fishing, camping, snowboarding, or wheeling, will I have room to bring gear. I would prefer not to put a wilderness rack on the roof, but I would do a basket from the hitch. At this point these trips would only be 4 or 5 per year. my mind is telling me go for an unlimited, but if I could justify a 2 door then I would go that route. so do you guy's think the cargo area in the 2 door would holda couple duffle bags, and a small tent, with a cooler, and extra outdoor gear on a hitch basket? or should I just go with the unlimited.
If I was in your situation, I would get the Unlimited.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Get the 4-dr...I read as far as you saying "I have 2 boys" and stopped, I bought my 2-dr and married the girl who helped me pick out the color 6 months later....she has two daughters, 12 & 14 and it's a PIA for them to get in and out, there are advantages to both, but if I could start over it would be the 4-dr hands down.

Quick Reply: 2 door or unlimited?