Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2 Dr Towing

Old 09-06-2008, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Dr Towing

I am looking to purchase a small hard side camper to tow with my 2Dr Rubi.

So who is towing with their 2 Dr and I would like to know the good the bad and the ugly. Tell me your experiences, most everything on this forum is with 4 doors.

It just isnt fun with the Toyota Motorhome anymore. Now we camp and see all kinds of dirt roads in the woods we cant go on.

So I now I have a 1986 Toyota motorhome for sale.

Thx
Old 09-06-2008, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm not towing but many are. There are many pop ups, home mades and, of course, roof top tents and campers availabe that are well below our tow limits.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would actually like to know, whats the most weight that people have towed.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:58 PM
JK Super Freak

I posted a pic a while back of a 2dr JK towing a built Rocky on a custom, heavy duty, dual axle trailer. That setup probably weighed upwards of 6k pounds. I would not recommend that much weight on it (I think the guy who did that was a moron who was endangering everyone on the road while he was pulling that much weight and I made it known), but it has been done.

FWIW, the JK was runnin' Boggers (I think they're 35's), too. While the Boggers are excellent for traction in mud, they do NOT offer the traction you need onroad, especially when needing to safely control that much weight behind you.

Enough of the rant. If you have a factory tow package, then your 2dr will safely handle 2000 pounds. You might go a bit above that, but I wouldn't push it much at all.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:20 AM
JK Freak

I tow a steel utility trailer (single axle - 6.5x10') weighs about 1000 lbs. all by itself. Mostly use it for the atv. Polaris Sportsman 700 (weighs close to 900 lbs.) So, there you go. about 1900 lbs. No problems. Obviosly, there shouldn't be it is within the limit. I will say this though, I wouldn't want to do too much more than that. It really dogs it on hills, etc. Other than that, no problems. I did have to use a suprisingly steep hitch though.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:55 PM
JK Super Freak

I will plan doing a test tow of the unit I a looking at. It will weigh about 2400 fully loaded so i am not sure I will buy it.

This weekend I just added a brake controller so hopefully I will be good to go.

In regards to lack of power until you drive a 21 ft motorhome with a 22R 4 cylinder you have no real experiance.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Do a search on the whole board, there are lots of threads and pictures, some from down-under that are really nice. Be sure your tongue is not short or you will have problems.

I used to pull a teardrop trailer with the rear end opening up as a kitchen, would go anywhere I went.

But take a look on this board before you buy.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love to tow my ATV trailer weighs about 300lbs and hold 2000lbs.
Its a great trailer I use it for everything you can't own a Jeep without a trailer.
I'm going to install larger tires on it, a little bit later.
I have a two door with 4:10 gears and at this time of the picture I was running stock tires,and had no problems at all,very nice drive
Not sure about other trailers than mine,hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 2 Dr Towing