Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2007 Jeep JK Rubicon PAINT ISSUE ON THE HINGES

Old 02-27-2008, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2007 Jeep JK Rubicon PAINT ISSUE ON THE HINGES

Hi All,

This is my first time writing into this forum...

I purcased a new Rubicon Unlimited in May of 2007... after 20 years...

I love my new toy (Graystone) and am probably the 1st to have a 2007 in Nunavut Canada.

Back to my issue, I have noticed that after approximately 800km there is paint

missing from all 4 rear door hinges. I took pics of it and contacted my dealer...
I am told that it looks like rock chips and nothing they can do for me.

I know that I bought a Jeep and I am expecting a scratch and a dent here and there on off roading trips.
These paint chips are, as near as I can figure is from pebbles thrown from my front tires due to lack of tire coverage by the fenders...
I drive on 80% pavement...

I guess Mud Flaps are the next purchase and new fenders...

Old 02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

how strange!
I drive 50% pav. and 50% dirt roads, and have 50,000 miles on my Jeep and I don't have any chips on the hindges.

Hubby has an 08 with 20,000 miles and has no chips on his hindges either.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stock tires held and spit out alot of gravel while I drove. My MTZ's eliminated that problem. Your solution might be to get some beefier tires with more space between treads.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:44 PM
JK Super Freak

There has been a lot of mention of poor paint finishing on many of the JKs. There's a couple of spots INSIDE the door jamb on my driver's door with some missing paint. One of the many eccentricities associated with the Wrangler.

Russ D.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

You're not alone on this battle! I live on a mile of gravel and despite taking it easy they still get chewed up. My '07 Sahara had the hinges and front side of the rear flares chewed up. I have an '08 Rubi now and it has the factory mud flaps but the hinges are already taking a beating. NOt sure what the answer is!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

maybe thats why we haven't had this issue. Both of our Jeeps got Mud Tires within days of bringing them home!

Now, our 08 has some spots behind the hindges where there just isn't any paint and on the whiper cowl the paint is so thin you can see right thru it.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you wanna be pissy bout and have the time, yank all your carpet out go around with a camera inside and out and take picks of all the spots missing paint and tell the dealer if they don't wanna fix those spots they need to re-paint every where else paints missing that's supposed to have paint.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
If you wanna be pissy bout and have the time, yank all your carpet out go around with a camera inside and out and take picks of all the spots missing paint and tell the dealer if they don't wanna fix those spots they need to re-paint every where else paints missing that's supposed to have paint.

That's too much trouble lol

who cares about paint anyhow? lol

besides from what the trees and rocks have removed you don't notice the hindges LOL
Old 03-03-2008, 06:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rebeljennie
That's too much trouble lol

who cares about paint anyhow? lol

besides from what the trees and rocks have removed you don't notice the hindges LOL
Hey, I did say if you "if you wanted to be pissy about it and had the time" I don't really care about mine since I'll probably herculine the inside this summer and re-paint the outside in a couple years. Your very cute by the way
Old 03-03-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Hey, I did say if you "if you wanted to be pissy about it and had the time" I don't really care about mine since I'll probably herculine the inside this summer and re-paint the outside in a couple years. Your very cute by the way
Thank you!
Funny how things work out the yellow 4d is the one with all the paint issues
BUT the red 4d is the one getting the new paint Job!

Quick Reply: 2007 Jeep JK Rubicon PAINT ISSUE ON THE HINGES