Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2007 JK + Upgrades or 2009 JK Rubicon – Help Me Decide

Old 08-11-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 JK + Upgrades or 2009 JK Rubicon – Help Me Decide

Scenario:

I have about $ 35,000 to invest in a second vehicle. I have always enjoyed Jeeps. I previously owned a 1989 YJ and a 1991 YJ. I presently have a commuter car so this purchase is purely a recreational choice. I will be using it around town for some errands, occasional off-road, camping, and maybe a Jeep Jamboree.

Dilemma:

Buy either a 2009 relatively loaded Rubicon or buy a 2007 and upgrade it. The 2009 would certainly do the trick for my needs but would the 2007 be a better choice? To give you an idea of how I am thinking please see my advantages and possible choices.

2007 Advantages – Potential engine swap, color choice (Putty)
2009 Advantages – Warranty, Ready To Roll (minor upgrades needed)

Possible Choices:
2007 Used Wrangler Unlimited 4x4 ~ $20,000
Configuration – Dependant On Used Vehicle

$14,000 Upgrade Budget (Lift, Tires, Lockers, Gears, and maybe a engine swap – no Hemi) ;-)

2009 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4x4 ~ $34,000
Configuration
4-SPD. AUTOMATIC VLP 42RLE TRANS
AM/FM 6 DISC DVD MP3 RADIO
DUAL TOP GROUP
ENGINE BLOCK HEATER
HALF METAL DOORS WITH LOCKS
REMOTE START SYSTEM
SUPPLEMENTAL FRT SEAT SIDE AIR BAGS
TRAILER TOW GROUP
POWER CONVENIENCE GROUP
FREEDOM TOP 3-PIECE BLACK HARD TOP (VKX)
Exterior color (Undecided)
DEEP WATER BLUE PEARL COAT (PBS) - New for 2009
RED ROCK CRYSTAL PEARL COAT (PEM)
SUNBURST ORANGE PEARL COAT (PV6) - New Color for 2009
Old 08-12-2008, 03:09 AM
JK Jedi

With that budget, and assuming the Jeep was a dedicated secondary/pleasure vehicle I would buy a good used rig, and modify it. If you use your $20K number for the used Jeep, $15K can go a long way to lifting, larger tires, stronger axels, other than maybe a supercharger I'm not sure what kind of engine swap would be able to fit in there though. This also assumes building a big JK (like on 37"+ tires). If you're going to stay 35" or less then you might well be better served to buy the Rubicon.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:26 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input so far!

I do think I would stay 35" or less on the tires. I am a bit worried about going with 35" on a new rubicon on engine power (not being enough).

Can anyone chime in about 35's on the current V6?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2008, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edevaney

I do think I would stay 35" or less on the tires. I am a bit worried about going with 35" on a new rubicon on engine power (not being enough).

Thanks!
Works just fine for me...the motor is not the issue IMO...the issue is that the 4:10 gears that come with the Jeep aren't enough for 35's...there's lots of discussion about this very topic throughout the forum...

IMO once you regear...you won't get a sports car, but it will be better than stock on/off road...

BTW...I went the route of buying an X to upgrade vice a Rubicon...but, if I had to do it all over again I would have bought the Rubicon...the mods on the X really add up quick...

Last edited by Rescue X; 08-12-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by edevaney

Thanks!

With 35's, auto, re-geared (key) you'll be fine, get the new Rubi, it's the Corvette Z06 of Jeeps

Or you could get a 2wd 07 JK and build it better than Chrysler ever considered, RockJock 60's, Atlas T-case, LS2 or LS7 vette engine (way better than a hemi), but that's not the point, you are looking for a warranty, built rig off the showroom floor and the ability to run 35s...re-gearing ($1k with parts/labor)

Get the Rubi
Old 08-12-2008, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was facing the exact same dilema as you. For what it's worth, I picked up my '09 Rubi on Saturday and despite the fact it rained all weekend here, couldn't be happier.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm giving serious thought to Portal Tek axles with 3:1 R&P and 2.06:1 portal reduction for a final drive of 6.12:1 with 37-38" tires on a 2007, too.

Just something to think about. I agree that the engine is not the main reason you'd have trouble running 35's and the gearing in the portals is more than enough for any reasonable tire you could possibly want to run.

Sorry, I think I busted your budget, though...
Old 08-12-2008, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rob4607
Like Sasquatch said get the Rubi, I did. 30k out the door, go the last day of the month dealers are dying to get sales #'s up. Oh, and it was fully loaded, the only two options left that I could have got were the dual top option, and side airbags. I went Saturday with Sasquatch and some of his friends off roading, they are all lifted, bigger tires and on and on, I had no problems following them up, over, through everything they went through in my 4dr and they were 2drs. The old guy was impressed that I wasn't afraid to get my 2 month old muddy and I mean MUDDY, it was alot of fun. Besides everything that most put on here aftermarket you can get on the Rubicon covered under a lifetime warranty, HELLO! And yes I got the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty, don't pay too much for it either. I would not change a thing about mine. Good luck with either route you take, I am sure you will be happy either way.
Hey he wasn't talking about me as the "old-guy" , this was an old TJ guy with us...and indeed Rob's Rubi conquered everything we did, I've done the same with my stock Rubi (not that long ago) riding with built rigs, they were impressed I went everywhere they could in their built rigs, says a lot for what you pay for. Again it doesn't mean someone with an X or Sahara couldn't hang either...but everyone knows the difference here, no need to go on about all that hoohah
Old 08-12-2008, 07:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also go with the Rubi and regear with 5.13's with 35's. The motor is ok but with the gears its almost great. Granted RubyDoo has the 6 speed. She almost tried to take a v8 powered camaro and when she cherped second he romped on it and left me.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkkat
I would also go with the Rubi and regear with 5.13's with 35's. The motor is ok but with the gears its almost great. Granted RubyDoo has the 6 speed. She almost tried to take a v8 powered camaro and when she cherped second he romped on it and left me.
that's hilarious...I like messin with Mustangs...I've yet to beat anything , well except a Honda Accord once....my wife can beat me in her Camry ...she does every other morning ...and she does it from a dig, not a roll , she's no ricer , race blood in my girl

Quick Reply: 2007 JK + Upgrades or 2009 JK Rubicon – Help Me Decide