Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 is basically just an interior upgrade

Old 08-12-2011, 09:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy cow!!!! Today I test drove a top of the line 2012 Rubicon Unlimited Automatic (Yes with a matching top and fender flares). Anyways leather interior and navigation, basically "THE WORKS". Let me tell u this, in town there was ALMOST no difference!!! It shifted a lot but lacked that ummfff that I truly thought this new engine was going to have!!! Yeah when I was on the highway u could feel a bit more power but "it's a jeep" screw the highway!!! My 2010 auto with 5.13's felt the same as the 2012 around town. What a unbelievable disappointment!!! Now if u put larger tires on u r back to the same dogging as before!!!!

Now as to when I did feel a different was when I drive a 2012 2door bone stock and manual. Grant it the jeep had the smallest wheels possible and it was lighter but this was when u could really feel it just wanting to take off an when u did u could hear a different engine. Here is the problem, I want 4door and even though I enjoy manual i have driven it my whole life that now I enjoy auto.

BASICALLY, 4dr auto was a huge disappointment! And the 2dr manual with tinnie tiny none jeep looking wheels felt good.

I leave u with this.......NOTHING!! Once again I really wanted to upgrade to the 2012 but in my opinion not with it!!! I hate saying that cause I was a big fan of it coming out. All I will feel that changed is the interior and to me it's not worth it!

I guess i will be supercharging

All of u that r on the fence with having to pick between a 2011 DEAL or a 2012. I would heavily recommend save the cash and get the 2011 deal. Just regear it cause I WILL have to anyways with the 2012 and/or supercharge it. With the saved cash u can have more HP at the rear wheel with a RIPP supercharge 2011 then with a 3.6L 2012

Last edited by Bingbola; 08-12-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 PM
JK Newbie

I test drove a 2012 JKU automatic yesterday. My experience was different. It felt quite a bit peppier up to the 50 or so mph that I drove. I would like to take it on a freeway onramp. Perhaps this weekend. The car I drove was a rubicon and it felt like it needed a wheel alignment or perhaps an issue due to new tires or inflation issue.

Paul
Old 08-12-2011, 10:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure why you would say
"it's a jeep" screw the highway!!!
, many people, myself included, commute many freeway miles, so highway performance is as important as around town.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree. After test-driving a 2012 and 2011 Unlimited Rubicon (Auto), I didn't think the 2012 was that much different than the 2011... Especially for the price difference. I ended up buying the 2011, and got an awesome deal plus 0% APR for 60 months. Make sure you drive both before you decide, and don't get too caught up in the pentastar hype.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3395397708.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	195172  
Old 08-12-2011, 11:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bingbola
Holy cow!!!! Today I test drove a top of the line 2012 Rubicon Unlimited Automatic (Yes with a matching top and fender flares). Anyways leather interior and navigation, basically "THE WORKS". Let me tell u this, in town there was ALMOST no difference!!! It shifted a lot but lacked that ummfff that I truly thought this new engine was going to have!!! Yeah when I was on the highway u could feel a bit more power but "it's a jeep" screw the highway!!! My 2010 auto with 5.13's felt the same as the 2012 around town. What a unbelievable disappointment!!! Now if u put larger tires on u r back to the same dogging as before!!!!

Now as to when I did feel a different was when I drive a 2012 2door bone stock and manual. Grant it the jeep had the smallest wheels possible and it was lighter but this was when u could really feel it just wanting to take off an when u did u could hear a different engine. Here is the problem, I want 4door and even though I enjoy manual i have driven it my whole life that now I enjoy auto.

BASICALLY, 4dr auto was a huge disappointment! And the 2dr manual with tinnie tiny none jeep looking wheels felt good.

I leave u with this.......NOTHING!! Once again I really wanted to upgrade to the 2012 but in my opinion not with it!!! I hate saying that cause I was a big fan of it coming out. All I will feel that changed is the interior and to me it's not worth it!

I guess i will be supercharging

All of u that r on the fence with having to pick between a 2011 DEAL or a 2012. I would heavily recommend save the cash and get the 2011 deal. Just regear it cause I WILL have to anyways with the 2012 and/or supercharge it. With the saved cash u can have more HP at the rear wheel with a RIPP supercharge 2011 then with a 3.6L 2012
You have 5.13s. From a stop and around town is precisely where that will help make the difference. You are right though, you could re-gear a 2011 or older and get the same feel at non-highway speeds. As Chipmaker has mentioned however, you may from time to time want to use it on the highway and then you miss the additional ponies as you try to move your brick at speed.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stormcooper
I agree. After test-driving a 2012 and 2011 Unlimited Rubicon (Auto), I didn't think the 2012 was that much different than the 2011... Especially for the price difference. I ended up buying the 2011, and got an awesome deal plus 0% APR for 60 months. Make sure you drive both before you decide, and don't get too caught up in the pentastar hype.
I'm at a loss. Why does your profile say you have a 3.6l Pentastar?
Old 08-13-2011, 12:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know it's illegal to compare by racing but still i am saying feeling is different and real experiment is the one which i can believe.

I hope that sooner someone will post a video of the race
Old 08-13-2011, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just updated my profile. (I had originally ordered a 2012, but cancelled my order after driving one.)
Old 08-13-2011, 05:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by emirates81
I know it's illegal to compare by racing but still i am saying feeling is different and real experiment is the one which i can believe.

I hope that sooner someone will post a video of the race
I belive the race video would crash the system if uploaded all at once. The length of that video would be significant an would have to come out in parts like the Moab videos.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chipmaker
Not sure why you would say , many people, myself included, commute many freeway miles, so highway performance is as important as around town.
X2 My JKU Sahara is my DD, and per week I do 85% of my driving on the highway, 120KM round trip per day. Jeep is bone stock (yes I know) but thats ok for me. I'm very happy with it and it performence on the road. I'm not into speed, I cruz at 100 KM/HR or so, and just enjoy being behind the wheel of my JK.

Quick Reply: 2012 is basically just an interior upgrade