Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2013 JKUR water rushing sound behind Glovebox

Old 09-13-2012, 06:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 JKUR water rushing sound behind Glovebox

I have a 2013 JKUR with about 1500 miles on it. I'm starting to hear water rushing or gurgling behind the glovebox. I take it to the local stealership and they pull a tech out to come check it for me. He pops the hood, looks around for coolant levels, checks the cap and closes the hood. Goes inside the Jeep and starts it up. Revs up the motor and hears the sound. Then he shuts it off and goes into the service advisors office and jumps on the computer. Mine while not saying a word. Opens up the program that says STAR REPORT. Types in all of the jeeps info and leaves the office. I turn to the service advisor and ask " what was that all about". What's wrong with my brand new Rubi. He says, we will find out in a few days when they get back to us. Go ahead and drive it home and not to worry. It's under warranty. I'm thinking REALLY. I just bought this a couple of weeks ago for $39k and not to worry. I then say, what's wrong with it. Seriously. He said" they have no idea and they have to wait for themSTAR people to get back to them" Boy that makes me feel better. Don't these Master Tech's get trained by Jeep?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better get used to it, there's more to come..... maybe someday Chrysler will have those STAR REPORTS ready when you pull up to the service counter. Then you won't need to deal with the 50% that don't give a shit you bought a Jeep.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Actually this is not as unusual as you would think and every manufacturer goes through it. There are many instances in which a company designs a vehicle and then when production ramps up they find an issue that is affecting a large number of the produced vehicles. The factory has to then go back to the drawing board and find out why the vehicles are doing what they are doing. Then they have to figure out how to fix the vehicles issue while still being cost effective (read as: as cheaply as possible). At which point they will pass the fix onto the dealerships. The technician can only do so much. Finding an issue is typically easy, fixing the issue not always easy. I mean what if what is causing the issue is a faulty part design and they haven't redesigned the part yet? Would you like them to replace it with the same part that is known to be an issue? There really are sometimes where the vehicle cannot be fixed at that time. Not saying that it makes it any easier to swallow just saying these things happen.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed.

I have a '13 JKU Sport with about 890 miles and just started hearing the same exact sound from time to time. I heard it today and was scratching my head. It seams to only happen when the a/c is on. I may be crazy, but it seems like I remember this happening in my '09 JKUR also, but I can't remember for sure.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Do you have the A/C on? Basically if it's hot out side you could be getting a little bit of the AC gasses liquifying coming in & out of the condenser. (nothing to worry too much about). You would need one of the AC techs take a look to see if the right amount is in it. Keep in mind they may come back and say it's completely normal because it kinda is.

The only fix that worked for me on my old jeep, I didn't turn the AC to full cold when I first started it up. (kinda like doing stretches before running) Not until I felt a decent amount of cool air coming through, then I cranked it up.

On the flip side, if you have the heat on and you hear gurgling, check your coolant fluid right away in the radiator (sounds like it is fine). Could be low or have a engine thermostat issue.

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2012, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 200blue
Do you have the A/C on? Basically if it's hot out side you could be getting a little bit of the AC gasses liquifying coming in & out of the condenser. (nothing to worry too much about). You would need one of the AC techs take a look to see if the right amount is in it. Keep in mind they may come back and say it's completely normal because it kinda is.

The only fix that worked for me on my old jeep, I didn't turn the AC to full cold when I first started it up. (kinda like doing stretches before running) Not until I felt a decent amount of cool air coming through, then I cranked it up.

On the flip side, if you have the heat on and you hear gurgling, check your coolant fluid right away in the radiator (sounds like it is fine). Could be low or have a engine thermostat issue.

Good luck!
That all makes sense to me. The more you rev it up the more that water is rushing around. I have to run the A/C every day. It's still 100+ out here every day. Every time i get into the Jeep its like a Saaaaauna in there. we aren't used to humidity out here in the desert. It's way too hot to even try the heater. It started after a trip to Vegas. I ran by a buddy's shop and asked them. He thinks it could as simple as a loose hose clamp. not loose enough to let coolant leak, but enough when hot to suck air. I will dig around it this weekend and check out everything.

Thanks Guys for the help.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Keep us posted cause I noticed this once in my 2013 already too and its only got like 400 miles on it right now. I noticed it about two days ago... Would like to hear what they tell u it's from...
Old 09-14-2012, 12:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dnm1012
Keep us posted cause I noticed this once in my 2013 already too and its only got like 400 miles on it right now. I noticed it about two days ago... Would like to hear what they tell u it's from...
I sure will. Going to the stealership today.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2012... Since the 2013 is newer it must be worse by Jeeper logic. Therefore I'm going to make a baseless blanket assumption that this is a problem with all 2013s. I'm so glad I got a 2012! These new fangled Jeeps are clearly junk and just not as good!!!

/end satire of most pre-2012 fanboys on the forum.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Freak

I have noticed this a few times in my 2013 as well. Only 900 miles and 3 weeks old..

Quick Reply: 2013 JKUR water rushing sound behind Glovebox