Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2013 Wrangler changes

Old 01-06-2012, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I heard the 2015 JK was the next possibility of getting a diesel in North America (I believe on a timeline I saw or an interview with Marchionne I read he said something about a possible Grand Cherokee diesel in 2014 and Wrangler in 2015). It sounded like that would be the next major redesign of the Wrangler platform. That would sound about right as it would mean the current platform would be used for 8 years (TJ was 10 years, YJ was 10 also[?], WJ was 6, ZJ was 6, XJ was 13 before redesign and another 4-5 after).

Anyone else have any ideas or heard rumors about platform redesign?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

And of course right after I post this I see Chrysler announced they are adding 1100-1200 jobs and a big part of that is the building the diesel Grand:

"Chrysler will add another 1,100 workers at the Detroit plant to build the diesel Jeep and to boost production of the Grand Cherokee and the Dodge Durango."

Sounds like it will be the 3.0L we've seen before (and goes to export markets). I'd LOVE to have that motor an option in my Wrangler. I'd even consider trading the JKU for a Grand just to get it.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Someone posted a link earlier where a Chrysler CEO or someone up high was quoted about the model revamp around 2016 saying something along the lines of:

"We will try to maintain the wrangler's heritage with removeable top and doors."

Probably just another Crapsler rep who has no idea what he's talking about and that is probably NOT going to happen. However, if they were stupid enough to make the top/doors no longer removeable? I think it would kill the brand.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

I love my rescue green 2010! Even with the "old" interior, 3.8 and 6 speed. It gets the job done with no problems so far. The only thing I am waiting for now is the diesel. When that comes out in the next few years, I will be trading/selling my 10.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GearWhore
I thought I heard the 2015 JK was the next possibility of getting a diesel in North America (I believe on a timeline I saw or an interview with Marchionne I read he said something about a possible Grand Cherokee diesel in 2014 and Wrangler in 2015). It sounded like that would be the next major redesign of the Wrangler platform. That would sound about right as it would mean the current platform would be used for 8 years (TJ was 10 years, YJ was 10 also[?], WJ was 6, ZJ was 6, XJ was 13 before redesign and another 4-5 after).

Anyone else have any ideas or heard rumors about platform redesign?
I have a friend that's a Chrysler engineer in auburn hills, he's been redesigning some of the engine bay plastics to accommodate a diesel, unfortunately he doesn't know which one, or what model year. I'm trying to press him for more info lol
Old 01-06-2012, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

Probably some minor changes if any from '12 to '13... I read that there won't be a "redesign" of the JK until maybe 2014 but most likely 2015 or later...
Old 01-07-2012, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrettDez
Someone posted a link earlier where a Chrysler CEO or someone up high was quoted about the model revamp around 2016 saying something along the lines of:

"We will try to maintain the wrangler's heritage with removeable top and doors."

Probably just another Crapsler rep who has no idea what he's talking about and that is probably NOT going to happen. However, if they were stupid enough to make the top/doors no longer removeable? I think it would kill the brand.
i agree wholeheartedly here, IF Jeep was to make the mistake of doing away with the fold down windshield, and removable doors, you can kiss Jeep goodbye. I know that probably some really high amount around 95% of all Jeeps have never had their windshield down, but all of mine have, and as far as doors off, again I'm sure most have never had their doors off, and again for me, this would be a dealbreaker as being in FL i spend at least 40-50% of the time with my doors off on all of my Jeeps.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's what the other jeeps are for...no removable top, doors, windshields. Leave the basics of the wrangler alone. That is why there are vehicle "models"

Last edited by sclan; 01-07-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Id' like to see the 2013 have:

An engine that produces adequate torque in the 2-3000 rpm range, instead of the F1/Indy car 5800 rpm range
Correct door hinge camber so they swing closed, instead of open
Door electronic cable disconnects and hardtop washer disconnects that release without struggle and pliers
a drop down tail gate with a swing away spare tire
A wider dash catchall, below the radio that actually fits a smart phone (NA for those with power doors/locks)
Vertical mount oil filter, like all other vehicles, that doesn't require spillage of oil when replacing
winch mount on standard bumpers
door hinge protectors to prevent damage from door installation/removal, negating the need for NASA-precision guided laser sights
Polymer cowls that avoid the "dimple mod"
Flush mount lift lugs on the hard top for hoisting
Improve/remove clumsy rear washer housing that blocks 40% rear visibility
A soft top that raises or lowers and stores onboard in 90 seconds. And a $6K power top don't count

Just a few ideas...
Old 01-08-2012, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't seem like much revamping would be needed for a diesel, since they already export one. A larger diesel would be nice, the jk is a large capable vehicle why do they allow the power train to hold it back. Why isn't it like the trucks, with multiple options?

Quick Reply: 2013 Wrangler changes