Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2014 JK top

Old 04-16-2019, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 JK top

Hey guys. Just bought a 2014 flame red Jk Unlimited and it has a red top. I wish it was the regular black one. Thought about line X in it but I live on dirt roads and when I look at my pickup bed,. I feel like dirt will stick to that to much. I got an estimate to paint it and they want $1400. That's ridiculous. Anybody in Texas wanna trade tops? I'm open to subsections on what people have done to their tops. I thought maybe the line X guy could maybe leave the texture out of the mix and the dirt won't stick to bad that way. I'm open to suggestions and seriously willing to trade tops if someone wants a flame red one. This one looks brand new.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I'd totally agree with your thoughts on the dirt collecting. Also though, it would be a shame to do that to a painted top that lot of people desire. I don't see a city in your profile, but guessing you are a ways out in the boonies rather than one of the metropolitan areas of Texas since you are a ranch manager. I'd think if you were able to trade this in one of the cities, you should expect to swap it for a standard black top + a couple hundred bucks. I've not linex'd anything, but dirt sticks to my Raptor-lined tup like crazy. Are you too far out to consider listing a Craigslist ad?
Old 04-16-2019, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

I’m actually not to far away from civilization. San Antonio is less than an hour from me. I thought about Craigslist and still might. I just thought I’d see what people have done. It would be a crying shame to waste this red top by line Xing it.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Most definitely, you should be receiving funds rather than spending. Nice looking rubi. Around DFW, a standard black top runs $1200-$1400 on Craigslist. People usually pay up towards $1600 for a color matched top. I agree with you too......that's a bit too much red for my liking. Someone had a pic of a red JK, color matched fenders, but a standard black top the other day, and it looked much better.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Yea I passed up a lot of red topped jeeps when looking for one but this one is a 2014 hard rock edition with only 37,000 mikes on it for a good buy couldn’t pass it up just figured I was going to put flat fenders anyway and the top could be changed
Old 04-18-2019, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I've seen color matched tops on Craigslist and they definitely go for more $. I would try selling your painted top and then use those funds to purchase a standard black. If you don't have a soft top, I would look into investing in one of those. That way you can roll with the soft top while you search for a standard black.

It may take awhile, but I would do that before considering repainting the top you have now.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Just for example purposes, this is similar to what you should expect....couple hundy in return -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/market/349860

Red seems to be a little less common too.....you might be able to leverage that even more.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

If we were closer I would trade you my black top. I'm looking for a flame red top for my 2010 but we are just a little bit to far apart.

Jeff
Old 05-03-2019, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default Jeep top

I’ve defi decided line x on my top is probably a bad idea. So I think trading it is the way to go. Anybody in Texas with a flame red Jeep that wants a paint match top. I’m willing to trade. My Jeep is a 2014 with only 37,000 garage kept miles. I am pretty sure it has never been removed So my top is as nice as the day it was made. I live outside San Antonio and am not afraid of a drive to make a good trade. Let me know if anyone is interested

Quick Reply: 2014 JK top