Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2dr + family + rottweiler

Old 05-06-2012, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2dr + family + rottweiler

I need some help. I have a 2dr JK, we like to take our 100+ lbs rottwieler to the lake but thats a little difficult with my wife and 2 kids in the jeep also. Getting to the lake is ok, but bringing home a soaking wet large dog in a confined space like that is not ok!

So I'm trying to come up with some ideas on what i can do with him for that return home. My first thought was a trailer with high rails and him in his kennel, but I'm not to sure about that idea. Is there anyone else out there with this problem, it's not even somwthing i thought of before buying the Jeep, in the next 2-3 years i'll definatly be upgrading to a 4 door!!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Keep the Rotti out of the water about a hour before you leave. She will dry out just fine, mine always does.
Bill
Old 05-06-2012, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

The idiots I have 2 large Labs. 1 from birth and 1 is a rescue. They are My Boys. They are
Our Protectors, Our Kids, and and the Loves of Our Lives. We have All been
professionally trained in Obedience and Agility,( I say We as I am including My
Family along with Our Boys.) As They have Grown older, We no longer compete
in Obedience or Agility. But make no mistake, They are two of the Best Dogs
anyone could hope to have come in contact with.
Just My

As for the issue of what to do with a Large Wet Dog in a small environment;

Have You looked into a Extra Large Crate?
This is not a cruel thing to consider. And there are benefits to doing this.

1. You will have complete control of Your Pet.
2. God forbid there is an accident, Your Pet will be safe. As will you for not having
a large animal flying through your vehicle, during a sudden stop or impact.
3. You can line the inside & outside of the crate to keep the "WET" in it's place.
4. It is much easier to clean a crate than the inside of Your vehicle.
5. It is the most humane thing to do when traveling via vehicle.

Hope this Helps.

Last edited by mkjeep; 05-08-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: off topic
Old 05-06-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

The op just wants a way to take his family and his dog out for a day jeepin and swimming. Then wants everyone to ride home comfortably. I don't think he asked his question on a jeep forum to get parental advice on how to raise his children or what to expose them to.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Junkie

I think an idea such as one of those M1A trailer types built up would be a unique and awesome option. Have it almost like a miniature cattle hauler type with half walls, sheet metal front wall for wind, and tube walls and ceiling with canvas top. Always carry gear in there when the dog's not in it as well.

Be useful for many years even after upgrading to the Unlimited in the future.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

When I take both of my Rotties to the lake, I bring a towel, dry them off and return home, done deal.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 5 year old 120 lbs rotty that I would let baby sit my 1 year old boy in a heart beat I trust her with my life
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-264795813.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	313715  
Old 05-06-2012, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

.... i don't know how far you are form the lake or camp grounds, but i would think it is up to the dog. my dog loves riding in the back seat head out the window, but not as much in the bed of the truck. i don't think he would do good in a trailer. now if i had his kennel with his blankets and filled the trailer up with "stuff" to keep the wind form buffeting him so much, i am sure he would do fine, but i would start with short distances.

Last edited by mkjeep; 05-08-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: off topic
Old 05-06-2012, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some people say the stupidest things....with that being said,i have the same problem except i have a lab mixed with Pitt. i think for me personally its almost going to be more comfortable for my family and pets to buy a cheap beat up xj. the jk just doesn't have enough cargo space for large breed dogs comfortably. half the time we take our Passat because its easier, but that sucks to cause of the leather seats and worrying about damage. i don't think there will be a practical fix for the space issue, but if you find one i'm all ears.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I feel your pain with the lack of space in the jeep. How far is the lake? Maybe you need to take two vehicles. I used to drive my two kids and the 100 pound Rottweiler on 200 mile round trips in a cj7. I just don't know how it would have worked if my wife didn't drive her own car. A small trailer may work, or perhaps just a cargo carrier in a hitch with a crate strapped to it. I would make sure there was some shock absorption of some kind.

Last edited by mkjeep; 05-08-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: off topic

Quick Reply: 2dr + family + rottweiler