Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2dr n kid(s)

Old 11-17-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2dr n kid(s)

My last Jeep was a Tj and i traded it for a quad cab dodge dakota, because i felt the need to have a bed along with having more room for my first kid on the way. Not to long after i was kicking myself in the ass for it. So i'm looking to get back into another Jeep. Over all i like the 2 dr's over the 4dr's even though the 4dr would be much more practical. How muck of a pain is it getting your child in and out of the back? (mine will be 1yr soon so that means the seat would be fwd facing) Thanks for the info.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a 2dr and a 3yr old. It's not horrible getting him in and out since he likes to climb into the back. I too went back and forth because of having a kid. Sometimes I wish I went with the 4dr other times I'm glad the 2dr. Now that your kid is in a forward facing seat you can get away with it.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:58 PM
JK Freak

It all depends on how much you travel with him in it. I have a 2dr, but wish I had went with a 4 dr b/c of the extra room.

Oh yeah, 3 kids, but they are small enough to fit back there for now. added a 3rd seat belt. Mainly for trips to the beach.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

I have a 4 door with 2 kids. Really makes things easy. Plus there's alot of room behind the seats. I really like the 2 doors, but for me it's just way easier with an Unlimited for the family.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Save yourself some grief and get the 4dr. I bought a two door one year ago and I loved it. Kids are grown but I have three grandaughters who loved it also. But I couldn't fit them in the back seat at once. And the passenger seat doesn't flip up like the 2000 TJ I had. Quite a pain to get others back there. My wife liked it, but she wanted me to get a 4dr from the beginning and reminded me of that for a year. And she would not go on trips in it for being cramped. Plus I never had enough room for anything. So to make a long story short, I traded two weeks ago for a 4dr Sahara. The grandaughters are tickled and LOVE the room, wife is content, the sun is shining, and the birds are singing...
Old 11-17-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Make it easy on yourself, buy one of each. no real decision to be made then. We have a 2Dr and a 4Dr. Running around town in the 2Dr is great, easy to park and get around in the traffic. And we use the 4Dr for the road trips. My lady has the 2Dr, she loves how easy it is to park. And I have the 4DR, as I use it for work. Every now and then we have the grand kids, and they all fit in the back seat of mine just nicely. But take your time to think about it though, try putting a carseat in the back of a 2Dr and then try in the 4Dr. After you have done it let your wife give it a try. Then let her decide which one to get.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Think about the future. Think two years from now. One kid isn't just one kid. A 3 year old will be him/her, plus h/h bike, your bike, things to eat for your biking trip and perhaps h/h friend and h/h gear too. Or camping. Or boating. Or whatever. One kid= two of h/h friends tagging along too. Get the 4 door. I put a 3rd row seat in mine so I seat 7. You shoulda seen my JK unltd on Sat. I had 6 people in it, 4 of them kids, top down, with 6 bikes stacked sideways strapped on the roof with bungee cords for a mountain bike trip up at Rancho San Antonio in Cupertino, Ca. Awesome times. There was plenty of room for everyone. Everyone was cozy. I'm an outdoorsman, I offroad, I'm a soccer dad, and I love taking the family and their friends and exposing them to the outdoors so if you're like me the Unltd is the only way to go.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like the 2 door better get it. I have 2 boys (2 &4), when I first got the Jeep my youngest was still in a rearward facing seat that was a real pain he had to go in through the back but now both are forward facing and it really isn't a problem. I found it easier set them up on the front seat and lift them in the back between the front seats rather than trying to squeeze behind the seat to buckle them in. They are old enough now that both can crawl between the seats themselves and get in there careseats and I just reach back between the seats to help buckle them in.

I can normally fit everything in the Jeep if we are doing a long weekend visiting family but if you are planning on using the Jeep for any long trips or camping I do recomend adding some more storage, I have a Warrior Safari rack on mine.

Rear Facing

Forward Facing

After a long day on the trail

Old 11-18-2008, 04:20 AM
JK Freak

when i have kids, they can ride in their mother's car....2 door all the way
Old 11-18-2008, 05:01 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the two door. It's manageable.

Quick Reply: 2dr n kid(s)