Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

3.8 v6 = junk!!!!!

Old 04-14-2021, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

Old thread but ..... old school V8 in a JK would render it worthless for resale. Plus a lot of inactive gauges and functions in there. Dash would look like Times Square on New Years Eve. Take it from me - any conversion is a nightmare at best in these modern Jeeps. I would love to have a CJ7/CJ8 with a modern Chev engine as a hot rod conversion and coilover suspension.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2010 JK has 100k and serious overheat problems! Mud everywhere,but my wife wanted this Jeep! Bad for me! Had to overhaul! Radiator was leaking, condenser was clogged with mud, use a quart of oil a week regardless of mileage, no leaks visible, no smoke, no clue, tore it down, took block to machine shop had it hot tanked, checked for cracks, bored .020 over, decked, new freeze plugs, and I pressure washed when I got it back, and still had mud in the water jackets, not now, oiled it down and wrapped it up, no rust! Heads next, hot tanked, cleaned, shaved.020, pressure checked for cracks, new springs, SS valves, seals, retainers, locks, 3 angle valve job on seats & valves. Had rods resized, checked for cracks, new bolts installed. Ordered lots of my parts through NORTHERN AUTO PARTS, no junk, all brand names, gaskets, pistons rings, cam, lifters, pushrods, oil pump, press relief valve, bearings, rod & Mains, new bolts for rods, main caps, & heads! Cleaned oil out of upper & lower intake, new aluminum radiator,3 row, new teleflex cable for transfer case shifter, polished crank, new balancer, oil air separator, clutch, pressure plate, & throw out bearing, flywheel cleaned, and all the usuals for building, cleanliness, clearances, torques, & gaskets, yea and the kitchen sink in case I left something out! Fired it up and have 73psi oil press at idle, soethng else to fix, & no this is not my first rodeo by no means! Good luck!
Old 04-15-2021, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

What does the oil pressure go to cold with say 2000rpm? Pressure will lower once you get the engine run a bit more and loosen some wear surfaces inside. What oil are you running?
Old 04-16-2021, 03:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eng is up to normal operating temp, don’t take long to get there! I am using Castrol 10w30, non syn. Last eng run the oil press light illuminated, so I shut it off! Going to change filter again, and install a mopar filter, lot cheaper than wix! This will be the 3rd filter change in about 5 minutes omg eng run time!. I have built 2 BBC, 2SBC, 1SBF, & 1SBP, numerous aircraft engines, and NOW A JEEP, and what a pain it has been! They finally got their act together and installed a V8, hemi overkill of course! Took years to take a hint from AMC! I will start on the eng again Saturday, will see what happens this time!! Later

Quick Reply: 3.8 v6 = junk!!!!!