Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

4WD / 2WD MPG comparison

Old 01-09-2008, 02:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD / 2WD MPG comparison

Got into a discussion with a fellow co-worker regarding the fuel economy between the 4 WD models compared to the 2WD models. He pretty much is under the impression that most Jeep owners don't ever use 4WD and that the 2WD version would be just as satisfactory and of course deliver better fuel economy. I would like to see some actual numbers from some of you folks that run the 2 WD models. Thanks a bunch.

Cheers,
JV
Old 01-09-2008, 02:24 AM
JK Jedi

While there may be a lot of JK owners who don't use four wheel drive in the general population, you probably won't find many here. Even if you live in a snowy climate and never go off-road you will use it though. Yes the 2wd gets slightly better gas mileage, but if you consider capability and resale I would absolutely go for a 4x4. Obviously Jeep sees a market for the 2wd or they wouldn't offer it.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Buying a JK without 4X4 is like buying a 4cyl Corvette!!! WHAT THE HELL!

Old 01-09-2008, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am leasing a 2WD. I get about 17mpg according to the computer. But I drive mostly city. I've never calculated it myself to see if it was accurate.

I'm counting the days to the end of my lease (24 months to go) so I can get a 4WD model, or I may just bite the bullet and get one.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most 4wd owners never go off road or use 4wd. It is around 90% of all 4wd owners that neve use it.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Likely 90% of JK owners don't visit this site either.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
Most 4wd owners never go off road or use 4wd. It is around 90% of all 4wd owners that neve use it.
kinda sad isnt it?

kinda like the F250's 4x4 edition i see in my parking lot that will never pull a trailer, haul a bed of dirt or drive around a construction site

Old 01-09-2008, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Ever hear of snow & ice?

Originally Posted by jeepviper
Got into a discussion with a fellow co-worker regarding the fuel economy between the 4 WD models compared to the 2WD models. He pretty much is under the impression that most Jeep owners don't ever use 4WD and that the 2WD version would be just as satisfactory and of course deliver better fuel economy. I would like to see some actual numbers from some of you folks that run the 2 WD models. Thanks a bunch.

Cheers,
JV
That may be true for texas where a big hill is 10 feet tall.
Then again, every time I am in Dallas or Houston, I note the sea of 2wd polished pick ups in the parking lot. Never would see that at home (2wd or polished cause of the salt).

Up in in New Hampshire, no one in their right mind buys a pickup or jeep without 4x4. Even a half ton of sand in the back is not going to help on a pickup.

I live a street that that rises 520' & spends 3months of the year under 6" of packed ice & snow since the town outlawed the use of salt and the deadbeats never put the plow blade low enough. No way up this puppy without a minimum of FWD+traction control, or more likely, 4wd/awd during a snow storm. There are times the town dump trucks have to lift the plows to the to the top of the hill with a full load of sand so they only have to plow downhill.

Whenever some flatlander like your buddy moves in, we like to ask "so you got a 4x4?"
If they say they don't need one, we ALL laugh and say "You will". By spring they will have at least 1.

For packed wet snow and hills, you need a 4x4 if you live in the hills. I have a full size auto with traction control and even with 30 years experience I have come up short and need to hike home to get the jeep to pull it the last mile or so.

Best one was pulling it straigth up a 1 mile long steep slope with the wife honking the horn thinking I was going to fast with our Grand Cherokee. Though she was real funny when she slammed the brakes on. Dragged that volvo like it wasn't even there the whole way to the top. Her Blizzaks never had a change against my jeep..

Remember the old adage
It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
It surely applies to 4wd.

homer
Old 01-09-2008, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

Talking Woot

Sweet I am in the 10%

I offroad a bit, but not so much in the winter, no rain =no mud = too bumpy for fun.

And here in Texas, everyone and their mum has a truck, a lot of 4wd that never get used, a lot of shiny trucks, or those assugly lowerd trucks, but you do see a hell of a lot of trucks beat to $%#@ because thier owner uses their truck like it should be. And no, here in west Texas we don't have many hills. so

oh, and I get around 18ish in the city, don't drive there alot, but I have 2d with 3.21 gears, I think.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Going by the computer my 2wd gets 18-19 in city, 22-23 on hwy.
A little better than I expected, and from what I've read it should get a little better after breaking in?? (Odo @ 1200mi).

Quick Reply: 4WD / 2WD MPG comparison