Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

4WD / 2WD MPG comparison

Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the main reason a 2wd will get better gas mileage is the reduced weight of the drivetrain. Less weight=less work for the engine=better gas mileage.

It is a shame, though, seeing 4wd vehicles being used for dry pavement only. It's more of a shame hearing these people complain about their gas mileage. I see why people would like the "security" of being bigger than every other vehicle on the road. I guess we have to blame the auto manufacturers for not marketing 2wd SUV's???

Here in New England though, as already said, 4wd is often necessary. I too, live up hill. My driveway is at a steep incline itself, so just to park on it usually requires 4wd.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
Most 4wd owners never go off road or use 4wd. It is around 90% of all 4wd owners that neve use it.
Whered u get your facts?
more like 90% of 4wd owners use 4wd.

There not buying a jeep to crawl &#^%*# parking lots
please tell me im right.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

I live in a relatively hilly area...2dr 4x4 auto gets 18-19 average country driving..highway 21..
Old 01-09-2008, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by homer
Whenever some flatlander like your buddy moves in....
homer
If you live in Nashua, you are a flatlander........ Just kidding, and welcome to the forum. Good to see some other NH folks.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Matador
Buying a JK without 4X4 is like buying a 4cyl Corvette!!! WHAT THE HELL!

LOL that was Hilarious!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skibum
If you live in Nashua, you are a flatlander........ Just kidding, and welcome to the forum. Good to see some other NH folks.
Thanks

Actually I live west of the city. But the town is so small, nobody has heard of it, so I use Nashua as a site . Though with the elections, even Nashua is getting known. I was talking with a guy in Germany yesterday and he said he was watching coverage on Nashua from home. and there wasn't even a NASCAR race
Old 01-09-2008, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by homer
Thanks

Actually I live west of the city. But the town is so small, nobody has heard of it, so I use Nashua as a site . Though with the elections, even Nashua is getting known. I was talking with a guy in Germany yesterday and he said he was watching coverage on Nashua from home. and there wasn't even a NASCAR race
Yeah. when people see the name of the town I live in they assume that its the company I work for. Am I ever glad this primary is over, I like it when we return to being annonamous.

Threadjack over.......I get 17-18 mpg in mixed driving in my 4wd unlimited x.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm from Canada and I was shocked a few years ago when I flew down to Texas and rented a Ford Explorer and it was only 2WD. I never dreamed there was such a thing as a 2WD SUV, whats the point? Pitiful gas mileage and no off-road/bad weather capability.

Since I've moved here I have owned 3 SUV's that were 2WD.

I also have a F150 with big knobby tires that is 4WD which I drive off road all they time.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Sarzilla
Whered u get your facts?
more like 90% of 4wd owners use 4wd.

There not buying a jeep to crawl &#^%*# parking lots
please tell me im right.
He's talking about 4wd vehicles in general I'm sure. Take a look around you. SUV's are everywhere! Do you think people in the southern states are using their 4wd??? I See the 90% figure to be very reasonable.

I'm sure there's a large amount of JK owners who wont use 4wd either. But they're the ones who don't visit websites like this. They bought the JK as a family mover, not an offroad machine.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm getting 17mpg with my 4 door 4x4 with 3.73 gear and 6 speed manual. But I've only got 2k on it so far, not sure if it will get better or worse as it goes.

But as far as 2wd or not,, I agree with the idea I wouldn't buy a Corvette with 4 cylinders, I wouldn't buy a jeep with 2wd.. In the 2k I've had mine, I've had it out in the sand in 4x4 three times already.

Quick Reply: 4WD / 2WD MPG comparison