Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

4wd Hardware....a bunch of scammers?

Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd Hardware....a bunch of scammers?

Is 4wd Hardware as shady as they seem? I called this morning to place an order. I got all the prices out of their CURRENT holiday catalog.

First item was a Smittybilt winch plate,advertised at $99 in the catalog. Actual price when placing the order $149.99

The same winch plate isn't even currently available for sale. They're on backorder with no timeframe for shipment.

Second item was a Smittybilt XRC8 Comp winch. Listed at $499 in the catalog,and currently $100 off. When I went to school 499-100 was 399. Once again,the catalog price wasn't correct. The actual price on the winch was $549 with $100 off.

Both items I tried to order were priced $50 higher than their catalog price.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NorthRiver
Is 4wd Hardware as shady as they seem? I called this morning to place an order. I got all the prices out of their CURRENT holiday catalog.

First item was a Smittybilt winch plate,advertised at $99 in the catalog. Actual price when placing the order $149.99

The same winch plate isn't even currently available for sale. They're on backorder with no timeframe for shipment.

Second item was a Smittybilt XRC8 Comp winch. Listed at $499 in the catalog,and currently $100 off. When I went to school 499-100 was 399. Once again,the catalog price wasn't correct. The actual price on the winch was $549 with $100 off.

Both items I tried to order were priced $50 higher than their catalog price.
There are a bunch of reps from 4wd.com on this forum - like username 'Bruised'. Search for one of them and place your order directly though them. They are straight shooters and have to answer to the forum if what you order doesn't jive with what you pay.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

I have not had problems with 4wd, but Smittybuilt has a very poor record for having things available or they take forever to fill the order. I ordered some of their side protection at the 4wd show in Dallas and 6 months later still did not have my order. I canceled and bought another brand.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

I always call my orders in on the phone and they always honor the sale price, plus they give our club a 10% off.

So call them on the phone dont use the web site.

Also when did the holiday offers expire are you past the date?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goldtr8
I always call my orders in on the phone and they always honor the sale price, plus they give our club a 10% off.

So call them on the phone dont use the web site.

Also when did the holiday offers expire are you past the date?
I did call them over the phone,and no they wouldn't honor the lower catalog price. All they said was "uhh...well...uhh...I don't know why the catalog has a lower price"

The "supposed" holiday offer doesn't expire until the 31st.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Former Member

I am on this Forum everyday, PM me your Order number and I will look into the order you placed. And I looked at the parts you were describing and there are pricing discrepancies in the catalog and online. The pricing in the catalog on the winch is not correct but we have been honoring that price. They changed the winch plate and the new price on it is the $149.99. Give me a call if you want to chat 800-333-5535 ext. 938.

Thanks
Bryan

Last edited by Bustabizz; 12-29-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bustabizz
I am on this Forum everyday, PM me your Order number and I will look into the order you placed. And I looked at the parts you were describing and there are pricing discrepancies in the catalog and online. The pricing in the catalog is not correct but we have been honoring those prices. Give me a call if you want to chat 800-333-5535 ext. 938.

Thanks
Bryan
I appreciate the offer to look into my order,but I didn't end up ordering either item. The fact that the pricing was incorrect and the customer service associate wasn't willing to honor the lower price when asked, left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Its nice to see that someone at 4wd Hardware has some customer service skills. Thank you for looking into the pricing discrepancies.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Former Member

I just edited my post after looking into that more. I just sent you a PM as well.

But if you need help, or want to place and order let me know, I will be happy to assist you.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:13 PM
JK Freak

I have had no problems with 4WD hardware. I have called "Bruised", a rep on this forum, and he was very helpful and beat the lowest pricing I could find when I bought bumpers for my Jeep.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

after getting the run-around for nearly a year from them on smittybilt bumpers (paid for at time of order) i will not deal with them ever again.

Quick Reply: 4wd Hardware....a bunch of scammers?