Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Advice Needed!

Old 12-05-2014, 11:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If it is priced over $15k I would pass on it. I doubt it has been re-geared and that is something I would look into since it has the shitty 4 speed automatic. Drive it again on the highway, up some steep grades or overpasses and see if the engine lugs down to where the transmission has to downshift. However it is your money spend it the way you want.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spicoli
Why buy a lifted jeep that you're just going to change the lift on it anyway? I think if that was a lift you wanted then might make sense to buy it.

The 2015s are significantly nicer interiors w/ a very good stereo. What would you be paying for this jeep?

The 3.8 engine is noticeably slower on the highway. For crawling and city stop/go they should be about the same.
The price for the new jeep is 33,400 before tax/dmv fees. Thanks for the input!
Old 12-05-2014, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys, the opinions seem to be unanimous which tells me new is the way to go! I've just always been told to never buy a new car but I guess with a wrangler it's different. From what I've read its worth it to get the Rubi rather than build up a sport, it's interesting to see someone saying otherwise. Anyone else think it would be better to get sport and build it? I feel like the resale of a Rubicon would be better than a built sport... I don't know though.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

It really depends on what you are going to do with your jeep. If you are just going to bolt crap on it and drive to the mall or throw tons under it with 37"+ tires and head for the rocks. We don't know what kind of experience you have with tools or fabrication. Buying a new can is not a bad idea if you don't have to finance it and you don't have to sacrifice in other areas of your life to be able to afford it. Jeep wranglers do tend to hold their value better then most other vehicles and ones that are just a couple years old are selling for 80% of new. I now there is a 2012 loaded rubicon sitting at a local dealer that is asking $33k. If comparing that jeep to a new sport I would get the used rubi over the sport for the dana 44 front, lockers, and transfer case. Personally I would stay away from modded jeeps unless you know the person that did the mods or it is set up exactly like you want it and know what to look for in suspensions as there are a lot of jeeps out there that have been screwed up by people not knowing what they are doing.
Good luck with the search.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed!