Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Advice Needed

Old 04-13-2018, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed

Hi all! Newbie here. I sold my '02 Wrangler Sport a few years back and regretted it since. In truth, it wasn't the right Wrangler for my needs, but I've got the bug again, and looking at a JK that hits all the buttons for me this time. It's a 2010 2-door Sahara in Red Rock Crystal with a Khaki colored freedom hardtop. Auto. It's bone stock, which is what I want. As I mod it, I'll know that I'll be the first guy to do so.

Here's the kicker. It's only got 32k miles on it and it's in perfect condition. The price on it is $23k. Is that a fair price for an auto 2010 Sahara w/ a hardtop w/ low miles? I know pricing varies around the country. I'm on the east coast (Richmond, VA) where prices may be somewhat higher.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your advice. Looking forward to getting my Jeep Wave on again

This is her.

Bruce
Old 04-13-2018, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Check the vin to see where it has lived. Finding jeeps isn'in our area is tough but it's tougher when you've got the rust buckets from MD being sold here. So if you decide to pursue it any further, you need to inspect the undercarriage for rust.

I've got to caution you though- my girlfriend just bought a '16 2dr, manual, soft top, 3.73's for $23k with only 10k miles. She was able to get a factory warranty as a certified pre-owned vehicle. So you've found a decent deal for the area but realistically the price should be down between $18 and $20 because you can buy very lightly used with the pentastar (you want it) for about the same price unless you're dead set on a limited color. I have a 2010 and I love it (180k miles- all mine) but the pentastar makes driving more fun and you'll find more support for interior as well as engine mods with the pentastar (2012+). Don't go with the 2012 as they were figuring out the penta that year. The 07-09 is also going to be a very cheap sell as they were having oil burning issues.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks! I'm not set on color. But, I am set on a 2-door auto Sahara with a hardtop. The proverbial needle in the haystack. So, pickin's are slim in the metro Richmond area.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Look outside of Richmond. What you're running into is the shortage of 2drs. Is there a reason you're set on the Sahara? You already said you plan to modify it so why not expand your search a little bit? If you buy a premium top then it could be worth a couple bucks to the guy looking to unload his hard top for the summer.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

I've looked from Hampton Roads to Lynchburg to Northern Va, and so on, and I only found one JK that I'd consider for about the same money but it's a Sport and doesn't have the tow package -- another necessity, whether I need to add it post sale or not. What I'm finding is that the price of this JK is in line, given all that it has. Seems 4-doors outnumber 2-doors by a huge margin these days.

I can find a 2-door Sahara for less w/ similar (usually more miles) but they are manual. Or they have a soft top. And, so on. If this one turns out as good as it looks, I think I'll go ahead and get it. It really is pretty much what I would order if I were to buy one new. I was hoping I could find a similar JK for less. It's just not out there at the moment.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

In your price range, you def should be looking at 2012 or newer to get the much improved HP that the 3.6 engine gets you.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

4 doors account for 70% of the sales, there's no illusion there. The hitch and wiring are very easy and relatively cheap to add (eBay for parts) after you purchase the jeep. It isn't like the TJ where it's a large piece and holes drilled to be added. And it's funny (to me) that all you can find are manuals. We searched high and low for a jeep and the manuals were scarce. The hard top is a little tougher option to find, used.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, installing a hitch/wiring is not an issue. But, it's an added cost, as is the hard top. It is funny, but many of the JK's I'm finding that meet my criteria are manuals. 2 months from now, I could be a different story. Just seems that this JK is a rare bird here. But, I dig it. I'll keep looking, but hopefully next week I can drive this one home. Only 32k miles on an 8 year old Jeep is decent. I bought my '02 in the same condition/mileage. I loved that thing. But, I spent a lot of time driving 2.5 hours on an interstate in it. In a soft top. In stop/go traffic shifting gears. So, it got old. But, I loved dropping the top on that thing around town. Nothing better. But, with highway driving, I need the hard top and auto. Can't wait!
Old 04-14-2018, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

Rob -- Trust me, I've looked! I can't find anything in 2012+ that hits all my buttons for the price within a reasonable distance from me. But, I'll keep looking just in case
Old 04-14-2018, 05:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by lindemanlax
Rob -- Trust me, I've looked! I can't find anything in 2012+ that hits all my buttons for the price within a reasonable distance from me. But, I'll keep looking just in case
Yeah, I can't believe the prices. I did get a good deal when I bought my 2012 jku sport. I ordered mine from the factory. Connectivity, power locks & windows. 3.73 rear with max tow package and hard top, alloy wheels. I only paid $29k. Brand new with zero miles. That was 6yrs ago & 101,000 miles. I still love it, and it's paid for! I also bought the lifetime factory warranty, so I don't think I'll ever sell it.
The following users liked this post:
lindemanlax (04-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Advice Needed