Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Aftermarket Warranty

Old 06-08-2007, 12:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you guys had any luck with negotiating the warranty price? I tried to on mine, and no go. He wouldnt budge. Granted i was about 700 miles away from home and didnt really have any room to negotiate, but it was sticker price all the way. I ended up with 6 yr 85k mile. It seemed to almost make my payment go up 20 bucks a month if I went with 7 yr/100k. I figure if it isnt broken by 85k miles, hopefully i'll be good to go. I guess I could always update it if I feel the need before the factory runs out..

also, any word on these sites that sell "genuine" chrysler warranty contracts for less? Are they legit?
Old 06-08-2007, 09:04 AM
JK Freak

I've had experience with both and by far (as everyone has said) go with the factory extended.

The place I got my Jeep from knocked $1000 off the retail price of the extended warranty. Not sure if they do that if you don't buy the Jeep from them, but it may be worth a shot...

PM me if you need the Dealer's name.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

My dealer quoted me a price of $300 over invoice on an extended factory warranty (Maximum Care). That was less than many of the factory warranties sold by other dealers over the internet. FYI: You can buy an extended factory warranty without penalty if you buy within 12 months / 12,000 miles of in service date.

PM me if you want the dealer's contact info.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the Maximum Care with the Money Back Guarantee -- if I never use it I get a full refund.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

You may want to check out these prices as well.

Not sure if they are better than other dealers. I did something similar with our Nissan Titan and saved a lot over the local dealer and it's a 100% Nissan Warrenty.
http://chryslerservicecontracts.com/
Old 07-26-2007, 07:56 AM
JK Freak

Default Should I get an extended warranty (LONG posting)

I am considering a Factory Jeep extended warranty. I got a pamphlet a while back in the mail from DCX. I am debating whether it is worth it. Any opinions?

My Situation
My Jk is about 6 months old and has 8,400 miles on it. That means I will be putting about 17,000 miles per year on it. I was looking at the range of warranties a while back and it seemed like I would be talking in the neighborhood of $1,000 or more.

My concerns are:

1) I will eventually mod my JK with a lift, lockers, etc. (nothing bigger than a 2.5 BB and 32 or 33" tires) Will it be difficult to make claims to the point where it won't be worth it?

2) Does the factory extended warranty run side-by-side or start after the original expires?

3) The extended warranties I looked at were from 5 to 7 years with the 7 year one being on the high side as far as price. Is something extremely expensive likely to happen shortly after 3 years (how do these auto transmissions hold up). I will be doing occasional wheeling (twice a month or so). I mean owned a 1998 Olds Bravada and I never had major issues (transmission, engine, etc) even at 90k miles.

4) Would I be better off saving the money and putting it in an interest yielding account (e.g. CD), allowing it to collect interest with the idea of using it in the future in case I need to make repairs?

5) What have you all paid for dealer DCX extended warranties purchased after you bought your JK but within the first 12 months of ownership?

This is my first new car. I bought new so that I would have a warranty and not have to shell out money all the time for repairs (previously owned a '93 VW corrado). I am not too worried about electrical stuff much (maybe I should?), just major components like transmission and engine.

Thank you so much to everyone who takes the time to read this and offers their insight.

Damien
Old 07-26-2007, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

As far as the Canadian version goes; I purchased the Chrysler Gold Plan Warranty. Extending the warranty from 3 year 60,000 km. to 5 year 100,000 km. I got the price down a few hundred dollars. The big bonus was getting 5 years of maintenance included with no deductible whatsoever. Having still the option of extending the warranty anytime before the 5 years are up.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black_sahara07
OK, sound advice, thank you.

What about the websites that claim to be selling a "Genuine Jeep Extended Warranty". If you dig enough you can see that some of them appear to be actual car dealerships, for example a dealer in Chicopee, MA (I won't mention the name) has a site they created to sell extended warranties over the web, or it is some company claiming to be that dealership. Can I trust these people or should I forget it and go to my closest dealer (who I expect to try and rip me off)?
As most have suggested don't go aftermarket, just go back to the dealership that you bought from. In as much as expecting them to rip you off I would consider the price you pay at the dealership won't be as much of a ripoff as if you have an aftermarket that fails to pay because they disagree with the repairs done and you wind up footing the repair bill . That would be the ripoff if you ask me and it has happened. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

I had an aftermarket extended warranty when I had a ford; that turned out to be a total nightmare. When I purchased my Jeep JK 4 Door, I also purchased a 6 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty that covers most things (to include gaskets and seals) with zero deductible from the dealer. It cost about 400 more than other aftermarket warranties, but I do not want to have that headache again! Now I rest comfortably. Got gap insurance and a warranty that is longer than the time I financed the jeep for.

You know what's strange? I actually look for reasons to go driving somewhere now that I have a jeep; before I dreaded driving places. I actually smile now when I get into my Jeep. Is this normal? Will i be ok?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know what you mean familyNPJeeper. I haven't felt like this since I got my first vehicle and my first Jeep. I actually get excited when I get in.
My daughter and I went off-roading two days ago, then with my two kids yesterday. Today, washed, did a step 1, 2, and 3 to detail it and we took the hardtop off. What a feeling! I expect my kids will be Jeep owners one day.
Also, getting the extended warranty sure is worth it to me too.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Warranty