Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

am I getting ripped off here?

Old 01-06-2021, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am I getting ripped off here?

2013 JK Sport. Antifreeze leak. No heat. Overheats.

Estimate-
Radiator, thermostat, coolant flush, oil change, labor, taxes: $1027

Am I getting ripped off??

I am at a national chain auto service place. I usually do everything myself, but I knew I needed a radiator flush at minimum, probably a thermostat, and was hoping the radiator itself didn't need replacing. I am in Upstate NY on a lake, its January, its raining and 34 degrees with a good amount of wind. I was wrong to pay to have someone else use the radiator today. I get my tires rotated here for free, so I figured kill two birds.Radiator leaking brought me here. Lost heat in Jeep. Over heating. Didnt go more than two miles hot. This Jeep is not driven much at all regularly. Well... it needs new a radiator and thermostat. Not reallexpensive parts. But marked up here to 250 for the radiator and 100 for thermostat. sheesh. but ok. I get it.

But they say it will take 4 hours of labor, which is $450, almost half the $1000 total after taxes.

I told them I know they know what they are doing, but it won't take 4 hours. Wranglers are lego cars. He started telling me the whole grill has to come apart, and I was like, "Oh I know. I've had it apart a hundred times. I would be doing this right now, but I am not lying in the cold under the jeep, flushing fluids with the hose." And I said "You really think it will take 4 hours? I have to sit here." He said he was going by the estimate time it would take

I mean... it really is not that crazy. He said the air conditioning has to be taken apart, and that is news to me. I am going to check that online.

I asked, "Are these parts HERE?" and they are at the local warehouse. I got here before 9 and thought I'd be out of here by lunch. I have important errands to run. Prescriptions to pick up that I am supposed to take and stuff. Can't leave. The thing overheats and I can't just run around town with it.

So... this sucks.

I can see the jeep from where I am sitting in the
waiting area. I think I can run a stopwatch when someone is working on it if they make me sit here the four hours to stick it to me.

Worst feeling (like I'm getting ripped off)
Old 01-07-2021, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The price of aluminum has went up lately- I bought a radiator for the jeep and a week later, the price jumped $100. I wouldn't say 4 hours, I think I knocked mine out in 2 and that was taking my time. I have done it before though so I knew exactly what tools I needed and where the fasteners were and which pieces could stay in place.

But......if it's that cold and miserable outside......it might be worth a couple extra bucks.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

A mechanics labor cost can range from $50.00 to nearly &200.00, so this quoted price is on the high side. But I'd be concerned if they do not replace the the hoses also. Typically when an issue like this occurs, one would need to have the radiator, hoses, thermostat & coolant flush. The only reason they added an oil change is to make sure none of the coolant has entered into the system. As a last resort, when they replace the hoses etc.. they would inspect the upper & lower coolant elbows because these tend to develop hair line cracks.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:28 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

How would coolant enter the engine oil by changing the radiator?
Old 01-07-2021, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Give him a minute and he'll do a write-up for you..
Old 01-07-2021, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

TheDirtman Ignored
2011oscarmike Ignored
Old 01-07-2021, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by OscarMlke
TheDirtman Ignored
2011oscarmike Ignored
Come on man. Just funnin with ya!!
Old 01-08-2021, 04:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
Jay2013jk (02-02-2021), karls10jk (01-08-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 01:43 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way too expensive
I move the stock OEM radiator @ $119.00
Thermostat w/ housing $39
I'm figuring no more than 2 hours with your oil change and everything else.

But, when you are stuck... they going to nail you. It's the way of the local garage and how they make ends meat...

I've been at this 20+ years and every garage that buys from me turns around and rips people as high as they can.
I'll make 20 bux, they turn around and quote someone making 200 ...
I'm often dumfounded how they can make those margins on parts.

I feel for you. When you are broken down, it doesn't matter if it's a national chain, dealer or mom and pop garage down the street, they are going to make their days worth on you.. .

Michael
Radexpress
Old 02-02-2021, 04:02 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by RadiatorExpress
I move the stock OEM radiator @ $119.00
Just to clarify, "stock OEM" for $119 is not the same as the Mopar unit, but equivalent.

Quick Reply: am I getting ripped off here?