Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Am I the only one NOT filthy rich with a JK??

Old 06-22-2014, 04:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol theres lots in the same boat as you(I think you know that) .... In terms of being rich ... We all are really when we compare our selves to how many people live in this world no food, home, clothing etc.
The Lord has blessed me many times over cause I put him first!!!! I'm just a bus driver (for the elderly and wheelchair clientele) blessed with a responsible good wife ..... We have no mortgage(paid off last year) so I can put a little extra into my jeep
But I give the praise and glory to the good Lord!!
PS some good points mentioned above by Mark too. We were given choice ... So make the the right ones(choices/decisions)... Take care
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-733325810.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	561154   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3470013607.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	561155   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1242515373.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	561156   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1883743428.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	561157   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3264442423.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	561158  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2513634508.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	561159   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2008562547.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	561160  

Last edited by robsjeep9; 06-22-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some very good points made by Mark and Robsjeep9!

Rich? Health, happiness, freedom, home with a roof, best friend in the world beside me (my wife) two amazing kiddies, three square meals a day and my Jeep. Yup.

I too build slow and save save save and that's all good with me.

I get encouragement from guys like Robsjeep9 local Canadian who is further on his mods then I and is a example of where I want to be over time.

Be proud of what you have!
Old 06-22-2014, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im a laborer in KC. Build Roads. Im far from filthy rich! haha

It will be a while before im brave enough to trail the JKU. Ive got a while for some mods id like to do first. By the time i get done, it should be old enough to go bang on some trees!

Old 06-22-2014, 06:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
1. Keep your vehicles for ten years minimum.

2. Never finance a vehicle. If you can't pay cash, you can't afford a new one. Keep your old one.

3. Invest the money you'd make in car payments into the stock market--VFINX. Don't fret over whether it is going up or down. Just make your monthly payment.

4. After five years minimum, buy a new vehicle for you or the wife--when the markets are strong. Take out the excess cash on occasion to buy Jeep parts.

5. Take time building your Jeep. You'll have ten years to work on it. And do the work yourself--not only to save money, but to gain valuable knowledge for when you have problems--whether on the trail or at the mall.

Yes, there are certainly a few very well-paid people on this forum. And there are some fools who are financing their mods and living beyond their means. But the above let a retired GI--me--build the Jeep of his dreams ... and have a little extra to actually get out and use it ...

Explore Your World: http://youtu.be/0Yq51rHh8MY
Mark,

I always enjoy your travels and soooo jealous. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everybody has got some excellent advice. I have always worked on mine. Most of my add-ons have been slightly used. Some people I feel just max out a card...or two to achieve the results quicker. I do not agree. To each their own.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does seem there are some deep pockets on this forum. I'm not one of them lol.
I figure a few of these things help with us normal people struggling to make ends meet:
- be patient and just learn as you go. Take the time u r saving money up to research the hell out of what u want to do so u make the best/most economical decision.
- find used parts on craigslist or here or.. Sometimes u just get lucky.
- i personally look for a store/vendor that allows 6 months interest free credit. That way i can actually afford something that costs a lot in total, but is manageable in small monthly payments.
- dont drool too much over what u dont have. Remember we here are all lucky enough to have a jk when most people dont!

Cheers to the people who barely have enough money left over to put fuel in the gas tank!
Old 06-22-2014, 07:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Ya I forgot to note doing as much work as I can save money, provides job satisfaction, knowledge of your jeep, and a pass time to research like others have said.

I know my limits and not shy to reach out to my local 4x4 shop when special tools and skills are needed.

This forum helps out big time!

Oil changes, brakes, shocks, diff fluid changes, PVC ect...done in my un-heated garage. Next will be more advanced like lift kit ect..,

Money saved here goes to new parts or gently used....why not.

Sure beats driving something else and being a grumpy bear every time you see a JK stock or otherwise

Cheers!
Old 06-22-2014, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

I expected some quick responses, but man I sure didn't expect you guys! If you aren't making plenty if money you should go into motivational speaking and write books! I feel like I can conquer the world now after reading all that!

Also, I do plan on building my JKU slow, I've named her "Jeanette" and she's going to be in the family till the engine falls out. Then I might even look into one of those fancy 5.7-6.1 V8 conversion kits. I love my Jeep, since the second I laid eyes on her I knew she was the one. (Almost easier than finding my wife!) Money is of no issue, we are getting a house made into a home and starting college all while moving between units. Jeanette will run the trails just as good the way she is now, everyday until I save enough to buy more goodies.

I greatly appreciate the feedback, the Jeep community continues to amaze and impress me. A great group of Men and Women, a great family to be a part of.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im a 38 year old single dad of a teenage daughter and Im also a truckdriver and have a small lawn care business. You dont have to be rich to have fun with your jeep. Just take your time, do your own work and dont make the mistake of buying parts that you cant pay for with cash.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Softtailfreek
Im a 38 year old single dad of a teenage daughter and Im also a truckdriver and have a small lawn care business. You dont have to be rich to have fun with your jeep. Just take your time, do your own work and dont make the mistake of buying parts that you cant pay for with cash.
Damn right!! And well done!! I'm a 47 year old Dad of an almost 6 year old son!

Quick Reply: Am I the only one NOT filthy rich with a JK??