Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Am I the only one NOT filthy rich with a JK??

Old 06-21-2014, 09:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the only one NOT filthy rich with a JK??

I feel like all I ever see are these guys with $30k+ of aftermarket gold put into their jeeps, hell, I'm in the Army, I don't make THAT much money! Are there any guys/gals out there with normal jobs who have jk unlimiteds?
Old 06-21-2014, 09:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a Marine and I have a 2dr Jk and I will be taking it slow too. Lol
Old 06-22-2014, 01:43 AM
JK Junkie

Nope ... Def not.
Some of the more extreme modded jeeps, the owners make And install their own parts. Long arms, axle work/gears, cages, etc. Some of us are actually paying more in the long run.

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 06-22-2014, 02:53 AM
JK Newbie

It does seem that way. My '08 2 door is fairly stock except for rebuilding the sound system and some other inexpensive mods. I have aspirations of throwing thousands of $$$$ into it but I'm on a beer budget
Old 06-22-2014, 02:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

1. Keep your vehicles for ten years minimum.

2. Never finance a vehicle. If you can't pay cash, you can't afford a new one. Keep your old one.

3. Invest the money you'd make in car payments into the stock market--VFINX. Don't fret over whether it is going up or down. Just make your monthly payment.

4. After five years minimum, buy a new vehicle for you or the wife--when the markets are strong. Take out the excess cash on occasion to buy Jeep parts.

5. Take time building your Jeep. You'll have ten years to work on it. And do the work yourself--not only to save money, but to gain valuable knowledge for when you have problems--whether on the trail or at the mall.

Yes, there are certainly a few very well-paid people on this forum. And there are some fools who are financing their mods and living beyond their means. But the above let a retired GI--me--build the Jeep of his dreams ... and have a little extra to actually get out and use it ...

Explore Your World: http://youtu.be/0Yq51rHh8MY

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 06-22-2014 at 03:13 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are wise words from Mark. Take your time. I've been building mine steadily since 2009. I've probably got 600+ hours of work in mine now but it's saved me a fortune and is one of the enjoyable parts of owning and modding a Jeep. I like to find original solutions for mine but they need to be quality, look good and function well. That's what makes each of our Jeeps so unique. When I first began modding my JK I knew very little about mechanics of any sort. I spent hours researching how to perform certain mods and it wasn't unusual for me to be stuck in or under my Jeep with my laptop by my side, watching some jk-forum video someone had posted showing how to do something. Bit by bit I learnt how to do stuff until finally, 5 years later, I feel pretty confident to tackle anything except the engine itself. If I'd taken my Jeep to the dealer every time I needed something doing I simply could never have afforded the Jeep I now have. Take your time, do it right and you'll get there.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mark, great advice and very cool video.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Doing the work yourself saves a shit load of money. Money that helps you buy more mods plus it's never ending on stuff to do to a Jeep.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Another thing to consider, don't worry about "modding" your jeep. Wheel it for awhile and determine what you need. I went stock and decided I needed just a hair more belly room, so I saved up for a 2.5" spring lift. I went wheeling some more and realized I needed a compressor to air up... I'm not concerned with mods as much as necessity. Just a different way to look at it. My buddy's have much more on their jeeps than I do, but my nearly stock JKU keeps up just fine. Sent from somewhere I really shouldn't be! By the way, I am not rich either. I am 33, have two kids under 5, a wife and all of the bills that come with that and don't make crap a year, lol!

Last edited by LordV8R; 06-22-2014 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
1. Keep your vehicles for ten years minimum.

2. Never finance a vehicle. If you can't pay cash, you can't afford a new one. Keep your old one.

3. Invest the money you'd make in car payments into the stock market--VFINX. Don't fret over whether it is going up or down. Just make your monthly payment.

4. After five years minimum, buy a new vehicle for you or the wife--when the markets are strong. Take out the excess cash on occasion to buy Jeep parts.

5. Take time building your Jeep. You'll have ten years to work on it. And do the work yourself--not only to save money, but to gain valuable knowledge for when you have problems--whether on the trail or at the mall.

Yes, there are certainly a few very well-paid people on this forum. And there are some fools who are financing their mods and living beyond their means. But the above let a retired GI--me--build the Jeep of his dreams ... and have a little extra to actually get out and use it ...
Sound advice there. Take your time and mod it as finances allow, remember, it's not a race. As others mentioned, do the work yourself. You not only learn a lot but also get a sense of pride in the work you do.

Thanks for your service.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one NOT filthy rich with a JK??