Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Am i wasting money?

Old 09-12-2013, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well some of these spots are fm roads cross through. That not where I have trouble but. Mostly the surrounding areas. Js it's real rocky and hilly going down the side. The part I hit is way to deep to actually get in.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rploaded

Not being a party pooper but..... If a game warden sees you in the river with a motorized vehicle "non watercraft" brace yourself for some nasty nasty nasty fines... All of the colorado is a watershed now...

We had a skid loader cleaning up dead stumps along the river at my old ranch..... $5800 later we we're all paid up.....hope you have better luck then I did..

Just be careful.. Tread lightly....
Thanks for the heads up. That sucks u got hit like that. I will watch where I go a little more.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancerayfr
I am in brownwood tx small town in central texas. I make my own trails. I do work for these farmers in trade I get to go wheeling in there creeks and rivers. Mostly around the Colorado river, but is easy getting in. The part I have a problem with is getting up the steep cliffs getting out.
Wow, I've been up some steep grades and never had trouble getting up them in my 2007 X. It sounds like you need a transfer case more than the regear. In general, gear for highway performance, transfer case for off-road performance. Do be aware that the Rubi transfer case isn't "better" because of its crawl ratio. It's just different. Depending on the type of driving one mostly does, either transfer case could be the preferred choice. Since I mostly travel overland/expedition travel, the stock X t-case is fine. Either that, or maybe a four speed Atlas. LOL.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If you are happy with your on road performance and the gearing you have now with the tire size you plan on running then a different transfer case with lower gearing is what you are looking for. Running lower gears in the axle will increase your climbing ability or over all crawl ratio but may cause you to run really high rpm's on the highway. a 2012, 6speed, 4.88 and 35's seem to be a poor combination if you run the highway a lot. Running a 4.10 with 35's seems to be a good fit for both on road and off. I would bet you are running 3.21 gears now and that is the real problem.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If you are happy with your on road performance and the gearing you have now with the tire size you plan on running then a different transfer case with lower gearing is what you are looking for. Running lower gears in the axle will increase your climbing ability or over all crawl ratio but may cause you to run really high rpm's on the highway. a 2012, 6speed, 4.88 and 35's seem to be a poor combination if you run the highway a lot. Running a 4.10 with 35's seems to be a good fit for both on road and off. I would bet you are running 3.21 gears now and that is the real problem.
What about a 2010, auto, 285/75/17s, and mostly city driving- which ratio?
Old 09-15-2013, 07:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

4.56 or 4.88 if you wheel

Quick Reply: Am i wasting money?