Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Another dreaded Gas Mileage Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another dreaded Gas Mileage Thread

Ok guys so I finally picked up my jeep last saturday and couldnt be happier, 4 door mountain edition 33.5" tires 4" life, I am currently averageing 15.5 MPG, and I expect it to rise another MPG or two when then engine is finally broken in, my questions is if I install a new exhaust and possible just the mopar air intake, could I expect to see a 2-4 mpg increase like some seem to think? I did out some math and the mods would pay for themselves rather quickly if it really does increase the mileage but I wanted some of your thoughts/opinions/experiences. Thanks again
Old 09-28-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Sport that came with the 17" SR-A tires. I picked up a set of brand new Mountain Edition takeoff wheels and BFG MT's from Craigslist last week. I noticed that with the same exact tire size as the SR-A, 255/75/17 my gas mileage dropped about 2mpg with the BFG MT's, I was consistently getting between 16 & 17 MPG with the stock tires, now my MPG reads 14.7.

I have about 3000 miles on mi Jeep, on a long road trip I took about a month ago I averaged 20 mpg with the stock tires, I'm curious to see what a long trip with the new tires.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

I know that for the day I drove with the stock tires on after the 4 inch lift, I was only getting 13.5, when I added the Larger tires 33.5" TOYO open countrys mud terrains on to the stock mountain edition rims, I incresed my gas mileage almost immediately to 15.5 and they are mud terrains, I dont know why the BFG get's such aweful gas mileage but they do.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

When I had the stock SRAs on my Unlimited (auto, 3.73), I would get about 17 mpg. With Rubi take offs at 36 psi, I routinely get 19 mpg, and up to 21 on longer trips. With the doors off, I should add. I did bite the bullet and have the dealer program in the tire size. Mileage and power improved after 10k miles, and now that I'm over 40k, both seem to be the best they've ever been. No complaints- i love every minute behind the wheel.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wapiti
When I had the stock SRAs on my Unlimited (auto, 3.73), I would get about 17 mpg. With Rubi take offs at 36 psi, I routinely get 19 mpg, and up to 21 on longer trips. With the doors off, I should add. I did bite the bullet and have the dealer program in the tire size. Mileage and power improved after 10k miles, and now that I'm over 40k, both seem to be the best they've ever been. No complaints- i love every minute behind the wheel.
I have the same, Auto with 3.73... what do you mean by asking the dealer to program the tire size? the numbers on both the Goodyear and the BFGoodrich are the same 255/75/R17.

Do the BFG's need to run at higher pressure?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm just waiting for the all the hammerheads on this forum to start posting their claims of 20+ mpg.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarpenter
I'm just waiting for the all the hammerheads on this forum to start posting their claims of 20+ mpg.

And I'm waiting for all the douche bags to slam the OP for caring about gas mileage.

To the OP: don't go by the computer read out. You must do the math by hand if you want accuracy.

Word of caution, JKKnit- you will be called a non-Jeeper and traitor for anything from caring about gas mileage to caring about the reliability of your Jeep. A lot of members here are very junior highish. It's troll-city on this website.

Last edited by spartan99; 09-28-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I put on bigger tires at 180 miles and never got a true baseline. I have 33s, 2.5" lift, winch and winch bumper. Unlimited auto with 3.73s always gets 14 mpg no matter what.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NonHyphenated American
I put on bigger tires at 180 miles and never got a true baseline. I have 33s, 2.5" lift, winch and winch bumper. Unlimited auto with 3.73s always gets 14 mpg no matter what.
Why is this site full of so much misinformation? "Unlimited auto with 3.73s always gets 14 mpg no matter what."- This is completely untrue. Why did you post that? My JKU's mileage can be anywhere from the low teens (if I'm towing something) to low 20's (like when I drive from Tahoe to the Bay Area). It also depends on wind, grade, tire presssure, whether the top or doors are off or on, etc. Regular driving with the top down nets me 18mpg's. I get 410 miles per tank typically.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by spartan99

And I'm waiting for all the douche bags to slam the OP for caring about gas mileage.

To the OP: don't go by the computer read out. You must do the math by hand if you want accuracy.

Word of caution, JKKnit- you will be called a non-Jeeper and traitor for anything from caring about gas mileage to caring about the reliability of your Jeep. A lot of members here are very junior highish. It's troll-city on this website.
thanks for the caution, but people can say whatever they want in an online forum, I am just here looking for help, and a "true-jeeper" would just want to lend a hand to someone that shares an common interest with them, regardless if opinions of that interest differ from their own, I'm just here looking for some help

Quick Reply: Another dreaded Gas Mileage Thread