Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Another dreaded Gas Mileage Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
Why is this site full of so much misinformation? "Unlimited auto with 3.73s always gets 14 mpg no matter what."- This is completely untrue. Why did you post that? My JKU's mileage can be anywhere from the low teens (if I'm towing something) to low 20's (like when I drive from Tahoe to the Bay Area). It also depends on wind, grade, tire presssure, whether the top or doors are off or on, etc. Regular driving with the top down nets me 18mpg's. I get 410 miles per tank typically.

I agree. My first three tankfuls I averaged 17.5 mpg, I expect a slight increase after break in but am happy with 17.5. I get more than 14 when I pull my camper.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

To the OP: don't go by the computer read out. You must do the math by hand if you want accuracy.
Is the computer that much off?
Old 09-28-2010, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by johnnyblender
I agree. My first three tankfuls I averaged 17.5 mpg, I expect a slight increase after break in but am happy with 17.5. I get more than 14 when I pull my camper.
17.5 mpg is close to what I got before I switched tires. I did check the air pressure today, don't know why I didn't before, and found that he tires had LF 29, LR 27, RF 28, RR 27 and the spare had a whopping 14psi. The valve covers say that they were filled with nitrofill, I am going to stop by the local tire shop and see if they can top the off to 35 psi and see what that does.

The tires I have now are BFGoodrich MT KM, 255/75 R17 on stock Mountain Edition 17" wheels.
I'm guessing that these are also the tires that come on the Rubicon, can someone please confirm what the recommended pressure is for these tires?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jknit
thanks for the caution, but people can say whatever they want in an online forum, I am just here looking for help, and a "true-jeeper" would just want to lend a hand to someone that shares an common interest with them, regardless if opinions of that interest differ from their own, I'm just here looking for some help
I applaud your maturity regarding trolls. Nicely said. But you will be fed misinformation by people looking to derail your thread, when all you're doing is looking for help.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why is this site full of so much misinformation? "Unlimited auto with 3.73s always gets 14 mpg no matter what."- This is completely untrue. Why did you post that? My JKU's mileage can be anywhere from the low teens (if I'm towing something) to low 20's (like when I drive from Tahoe to the Bay Area). It also depends on wind, grade, tire presssure, whether the top or doors are off or on, etc. Regular driving with the top down nets me 18mpg's. I get 410 miles per tank typically.
Would love to be getting the mpg that you mention. I have a stock '07 Sahara that I purchased off lease two months ago and have barely broken 16 mpg. Just threw on a Magnaflow muffler and K&N drop-in element and no increase in mpg as advertised by the muffler shop. I am talking a city commute and I see the mpg usually in the low 15's. Guess I should start reading more of the how to increase your mpg posts on this forum
Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been keeping track of highway fuel mileage with my Jeep with each stage of the build up, and here is what I have come up with.

2010 Rubicon two door w/ auto trans

stock 255/75R-17 tires and 4.10 gears: 18 mpg
Goodyear 35x12.50R-17 tires and 4.10 gears: 12 mpg
Goodyear 35x12.50R-17 tires and 5.38 gears: 15.5 mpg
Dick Cepek Fun Country II 35x12.50R-17 tires and 5.38 gears: 16.5 to 16.9 mpg
Old 09-28-2010, 05:06 PM
JK Freak

i can get over 18mpg with 35's and a 4 inch lift if you winch yourself the whole way there playing leep frog along the way lol saidly i dont do this but would be an interesting thing to watch i get about 12.5 and if im lucky 13.5 the price you pay for getting the best vehicle to get you anywhere
Old 09-28-2010, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

To kinda hi-jack from my earlier post...

The Rubi tires (pretty sure the same as the Mountain edition ones) are a skosh bigger than the SRAs- I had the dealer reprogram the computer just to CYA in case of any warranty issues. Funnily enough, to this day I have never had to make a warranty claim, so it was probably a waste of cash. Oh well. As far as the tire pressure, I'm not sure what Jeep suggests, but I was running them at 32.5 for about a year before I bumped them up to 36. That alone added around half a mile per gallon- more on long trips. Ride quality (to me) was unaffected. My mileage numbers were hand calculated for a good long time until I got bored- they were always .6 off from the computer, so that's what I go by. Today on the way home from work, the display said 20.9. By the way, it was 80 degrees, the doors were off, and I was grinning the whole way home. The decent mileage is just a bonus.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
You will never average 19.5mpg with a 3.8L in a lifted JK. Probably never 18mpg, maybe 17 if you lucky with the mods. It's just not in the cards, unless the moons align for you. Aerodynamics is brutal on this, lift it 4"...even worse. Combine that with a small engine and it's just not in the cards.

35s, 4.10s, superchips, and muffler swap I get 16.5mpg on average. Driving like a grandpa with a 6spd to help keep it at the right rpm. Thats as good as mine gets on average for a tank these days.

If someone says their 4" lifted 4dr gets higher than 17 on average, I'm impressed! Is EVERYONE actually calculating their milage? My display says 18-20 and I get 16ish on paper...
I agree with this. Lifts, tires, etc= mileage goes to shit.

Uncc,

on a stock Jeep, mufflers and filters won't do anything. Matter of fact, it seems the only mod that increases mpg's is the flashpaq. That being said, you can get 18 mpg's by going very easy on the pedal and staying below 65mph. But man, the second you mash the pedal, your mileage will drop. It's very touchy.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Re: Another dreaded Gas Mileage Thread

I'm just waiting for the all the hammerheads on this forum to start posting their claims of 20+ mpg.

And I'm waiting for all the douche bags to slam the OP for caring about gas mileage.

To the OP: don't go by the computer read out. You must do the math by hand if you want accuracy.

Word of caution, JKKnit- you will be called a non-Jeeper and traitor for anything from caring about gas mileage to caring about the reliability of your Jeep. A lot of members here are very junior highish. It's troll-city on this website.
You seem to be the biggest troll around...if you don't like th site, or the people here, why not go elsewhere?
Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Another dreaded Gas Mileage Thread