Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Another Reason Why I love Discount Tire

Old 07-14-2010, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Reason Why I love Discount Tire

So a few weeks back I got new wheels put on my Jeep, some Procomp 7089's with a nice set of black gorilla lugs to go with it.

So the other day I go to take a tire off my Jeep to check my brakes and I find out my Tire Iron (the 4 way star wrench thing) doesnt fit my Jeep. Now I'm thinking "whew good thing I found this out before I got a flat and got stranded on the side of the road"

So today I go out to walmart and pick up one of those Gorilla Power Wrenches and a set of deepwell sockets so I can eliminate this problem of taking off my tire. Turns out, none of the 8 Deepwell sockets that came in the kit I bought fits the wheel. Now im like "wtf size is this thing" So i head right next door where I got my new wheels and asked them.

One of their guys came out with a couple of his impact sockets and found out that the lugs/wheel required a thin walled 21mm deepwell socket. (try saying that 10 times fast) So I ask him where I can get one or if he could sell me the one he had (it was pretty banged up) he said to follow him and goes in the backroom and comes out with a brand new High Impact 21mm thin walled deepwell socket. I ask him how much and he says "Its Free" (That socket is like $20 each!!)

!!!!!!I LOVE DISCOUNT TIRE!!!!

Anyways. It's things like this that makes me buy all my wheel/tire needs from Discount Tire!
Old 07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish they were cool with Spidertrax spacers!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ski_bum
I wish they were cool with Spidertrax spacers!
I was going to call them next week to see if they would work with spacers. I have brought my other cars there in the past, but I may have to look elsewhere for the jeep.

Also they should have gave you the gorilla wrench adapter when they installed the wheels. I have bought a bunch of gorilla lug nuts in the past and always recieved the socket.

Discount Tire is still great to work with though.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

....I told the guy at my local DT that I was a member of this forum and he gave me a $100 discount on my Duratracs!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

i bought my MT/R Kevlars at the Discount Tire in Springfield, IL.
They saw I had spidertrax spacers and just made a note of it on my ticket and made sure i was aware about torquing them properly...

only thing that miffed me about the experience was it was a good thing i was watching them work because the dude mounting the tires mounted the first one on the rim backwards (MT/R-K's are asymmetric) ... i told the guy at the counter and he went out and showed the guy where it says "mount this side in" on the sidewall and made him remount the first one correctly...

good thing i was watching or that dude would have had way more work to do if he mounted all 5 wrong...

Mark

edit: forgot to add they price matched Quadratec's price which was the lowest i could find on 35x12.50R17
Old 07-16-2010, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have always went with Discount tire and they deserve serious props! Its hard to find companies that give quality Coustomer Service anymore.

When I swapped out my WE wheels and tires, they mounted up my new wheels and tires. It was r\getting late and it did not look like I would make it to theeir shop in time, one of their guys loaded up the new tires in his truck and delivered them to my house so that I could get them on that night.

Again very rare, but certainly appreciated, they have earned my business.

Quick Reply: Another Reason Why I love Discount Tire