Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any preferences on which brand of drop in filter to buy?

Old 04-26-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any preferences on which brand of drop in filter to buy?

I just Superchipped the Jeep and thought I would throw a drop in filter into the mix but not sure what brand to buy and if it matters and it it truly matters? Any help is appreciated
Old 04-26-2010, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you are thinking K&N or something don't do it. They do not filter well. Hold one up to the light sometime.

The jeep motor is not limited by intake airflow. You would have to re valve/re cam to cause it to be choking at the filter.

Get a WIX filter. They are excellent and they filter very well.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Pylot7
If you are thinking K&N or something don't do it. They do not filter well. Hold one up to the light sometime.

The jeep motor is not limited by intake airflow. You would have to re valve/re cam to cause it to be choking at the filter.

Get a WIX filter. They are excellent and they filter very well.
X2....The filter is not holding in some kind of beast if that's what you thought. Personally, I would go with a standard paper filter as that will provide the best protection for your motor. I haven't heard of a handful of people notice a difference with an aftermarket filter. Save your money.

A civilian I used to work with came by my office today and I was checking out his 08 Mustang GT. He told me he bought an aftermarket CAI and tuner....and after a dyno check, he gained approx 30 hp. This is an example of why CAI's have become so popular....on our 3.8's, we're not going to see this gain unfortunately....maybe 5 hp, if that's worth the $200-250 price tag.

Quick Reply: Any preferences on which brand of drop in filter to buy?