Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any reason to keep Flashcal F5 over the Procal?

Old 07-24-2018, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any reason to keep Flashcal F5 over the Procal?

I needed a programmer for the typical requirements (adjust wheel size, TPMS, etc.). Had a Procal for my last Jeep and was happy with it, but decided to try the Flashcal F5 this go round because I thought the screen would be nice (which it is), and I thought maybe I'd possibly get some use out of upgrading to the Flashpaq tune software in the future if I ever went that route. However, I recently installed the EVO No limits manual sway bar disconnect and learned that the Flashcal doesn't turn off the swaybar light on the dash, so I ended up buying a Procal anyways. Now I have both. Two questions for you all...

1. Any reason to keep the Flashcal F5 now that I have the Procal? Flashcal does scanning, but I have Torque Pro App I can use for that, or I can just pull codes direct from the Jeep dash display. I'm not sure I'll ever be interested in upgrading to the Flashpaq software and playing with tunes. Is there any other reason to hang onto the Flashcal, or does the Procal do all the same and more?

2. If I chose to keep both, any issues using both the Flashcal F5 and the Procal on the same vehicle? For example, I already set tire size and TPMS with Flashcal. Any issues just plugging in Procal for turning off swaybar light, and maybe doing other adjustments in the future? Not sure if they can both be used, or if I'll have to set the vehicle back to stock on the Flashcal before the Jeep with take any programs from the Procal.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:12 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

If it were me, I'd sell the Flashcal. Upgrading and playing around with tunes is worthless IMO, and you can accomplishing what you need with the Procal. I think trying to use them both is just asking for trouble. Best to just uninstall the Flashcal to free up the vin on it, and proceed forward with the Procal. Recoup some funds and parlay them in to a different upgrade.
The following users liked this post:
smittycm (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 12:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
If it were me, I'd sell the Flashcal. Upgrading and playing around with tunes is worthless IMO, and you can accomplishing what you need with the Procal. I think trying to use them both is just asking for trouble. Best to just uninstall the Flashcal to free up the vin on it, and proceed forward with the Procal. Recoup some funds and parlay them in to a different upgrade.
This is pretty much what I was thinking. Just wanted to hear other opinions before I sell off the Flashcal. Trying to avoid one of those scenarios where I sell it off, and then learn after the fact about some weird reason why it would have been nice to have both. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I would definitely stick with one tuner since who really knows what is going on with each when it changes the parameters?

However, don't expect to get much for the Flashcal. It is now VIN locked to your JK and the last time I checked with SuperChips, it was $100 to get it unlocked so someone could use it on another JK. So given that a new Flascal F5 can be purchased for $190, you're looking at about $75 tops in selling a used Flascal. Personally, I wouldn't purchase a used Flashcal under those circumstances but that doesn't mean there aren't others who are less knowledgeable on the stipulations associated with purchasing a used Flashcal that might. Just an FYI.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I would definitely stick with one tuner since who really knows what is going on with each when it changes the parameters?

However, don't expect to get much for the Flashcal. It is now VIN locked to your JK and the last time I checked with SuperChips, it was $100 to get it unlocked so someone could use it on another JK. So given that a new Flascal F5 can be purchased for $190, you're looking at about $75 tops in selling a used Flascal. Personally, I wouldn't purchase a used Flashcal under those circumstances but that doesn't mean there aren't others who are less knowledgeable on the stipulations associated with purchasing a used Flashcal that might. Just an FYI.
Are you suggesting that uninstalling the Flashcal does not free up the VIN? Cuz that has always been my understanding with all these tuners.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by resharp001
Are you suggesting that uninstalling the Flashcal does not free up the VIN? Cuz that has always been my understanding with all these tuners.
I'm really unsure if it does or not.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:16 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Any of these while installed definitely tie up your vin, but when you uninstall or "set back to factory" should free your vin and be re-sellable. I could see how SuperChips might charge someone who bought one that wasn't freed up $100 for reset it.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

What they should do and what they actually do may be 2 different things and I'ld rather not be the guy on the wrong side of the purchase holding the bag if it doesn't work that way. Do you know for certain that if you set everything back to factory on the F5, if it can be used on another JK or not?
Old 08-03-2018, 04:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Do you know for certain that if you set everything back to factory on the F5, if it can be used on another JK or not?
My buddy has a shop, and when I regeared my axles, my Bully Dog was giving me issues setting the new gear ratio. My buddy had an F5 sitting on the shelf that someone had bought, used, and then decided they didn't want. He let me use that to get the gears set until I could figure out the Bully Dog issue (which needed a software update). Once I got my Bully Dog updated, I was able to uninstall the F5 and give it back to him. It was then used on a different jeep. Long story short, I've had experience doing it with an F5, and also with the Bully Dog 40417. I will, until the cows come home, continue to advise nobody buy the Bully Dog. I do like a few features on the Bully Dog, but sometimes it's really frustrating.

I do agree that any time purchasing a tuner used, it's buyer beware.
The following users liked this post:
Rednroll (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

On the options menu there was an option to "reset to stock". Once I did that, the option went away. My understanding is that unlocks the programmer from my VIN so it can be used on any other Jeep. Same process as the Procal. I see tons of these used programmers sold every day. I don't have a new Jeep to test it on, but I'm relatively certain it's no longer locked to my VIN and can be used on another Jeep. It's posted for sale in the market place.

Quick Reply: Any reason to keep Flashcal F5 over the Procal?