Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anybody Trade-In a JKU for JK?

Old 04-08-2009, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody Trade-In a JKU for JK?

Yes, I'm crazy. I'll get that out of the way up front. I have an '08 Unlimited Rubi and I'm pondering the idea of trading in on a '09 2-door Rubi. All the incentives have me interested. The JKU was originally purchased for all the obvious reasons to get a 4-door (kids, cargo, etc.). It's been a good truck for 16K miles but I have always loved the classic 2-door look better. I'm a previous owner of 3-CJs and 4-TJs.

Am I going to hate life dealing with a 2-door?

Just need a sanity check, humor, flaming, or whatever. This is a Jeep support group after all isn't it?

Regards
Old 04-08-2009, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've got one kid and a 2-door. We haven't missed the extra cargo room, but we're light packers and have the wife's Saab wagon for anything we don't need the Jeep for. It's definitely a tight squeeze into the back seat to strap the bambino into her car seat.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
We've got one kid and a 2-door. We haven't missed the extra cargo room, but we're light packers and have the wife's Saab wagon for anything we don't need the Jeep for. It's definitely a tight squeeze into the back seat to strap the bambino into her car seat.
Thanks. To compound the situation, I have 2 kids. My daughter is almost 7 and can strap herself in but my son is 3 and will be in a seat for at least 1 more year. Back when I owned my TJ I had a friend that would always complain about the lack of room (truck guy). I would just tell him that I did not buy my Jeep with his comfort in mind and shut up if he wanted a ride to lunch. However, I can't tell the kiddos that line too easily.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

I have to climb into my Unlimited to get my 17 month old strapped into the middle, I couldn't imagine trying to get him in by squeezing behind the front seats! My wife would hate it too. She looked at me this weekend and said, you do it.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Two kids would certainly complicate things. As for the child seat, my preferred style is to let her climb in the seat and then reach through with my feet still on the ground and strap her in. I'm 6'2" and the maneuver is actually really comfortable.

This obviously wouldn't work with a rear-facing infant seat, but it sounds like you're past that stage.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went JK > JKU. I would rather have the 2dr. The 4dr does not suit my needs at all. It's is very long. More difficult to park. Takes much more room to do a U Turn. etc. I regret going to the JKU. The space is not worth it.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by saltman
I went JK > JKU. I would rather have the 2dr. The 4dr does not suit my needs at all. It's is very long. More difficult to park. Takes much more room to do a U Turn. etc. I regret going to the JKU. The space is not worth it.
You really hate your Jeep don't you.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by saltman
It's is very long. More difficult to park. Takes much more room to do a U Turn. etc. I regret going to the JKU.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:54 AM
JK Freak

I have always had 2dr Jeeps (TJ's and JK's). I just don't care for the 4dr, although I definately see the advantages for certain people. My 2 kids have no problem climbing in the back (13 and 11), but for the long, lots of cargo trips, we take the wifes 2006 Pathfinder.

The only drawback I can tell you about is...the front passenger seat on the JK does NOT tumble forward like the TJ's did. I have no idea why Chrysler, in their infanant wisdom, took that feature out when they designed the JK. The front passenger seat only slides forward with the back of the seat tilted forward. If you only have to deal with your youngest for a few more years in the car seat, maybe, with the incentives right now, you would be happier with the 2dr . It sounds like you want one.

The deals are pretty good right now. I just traded in my 08 X I bought in Sept 07, for an 09 Rubi. Build date on it is 02/09, so it is brand new. I got a great deal on it.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepinMass
Compared to the 2dr it is as I described. You have to swing it around to park like a front wheel drive vehicle. This is normal if you are used to driving a long vehicle. I am not. I've never owned a 4dr. 6 2dr Jeeps, 2 M3s later it takes a lot of getting used to. The JKU can not do a Uturn in a normal 24' wide 2 way traffic road like the 2dr. It struggles even on a road with a turning lane. You can imagine how this impacts offroad ability in the trees. It is also very easy to high center.

I didn't need the space. I needed the performance. When I got it, I thought I wanted the space but I don't. Everyone makes mistakes.

Originally Posted by db99wj
You really hate your Jeep don't you.
I like my JKU. I miss my JK (not the constant problems). I LOVE my LJ. how about that.

Quick Reply: Anybody Trade-In a JKU for JK?