Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone pulled over for running beadlocks on the street?

Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife bought a tricked out Mini Cooper ( man I hate to admit this here, but the thing drives like a freaking go-cart) and she would like to have a spot in the garage for it. My OEM's are currently taking "her" spot. Ironically, it's never "her" garage when it needs to be cleaned out!

I'm seeing a lie in my near future...." Nope, can't do it hun, all the guys on JK Forum say it's sooner or later....." <evil grin>
Old 05-09-2013, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beadlocks are the last thing they are worried about...trust me
Old 05-09-2013, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would be more worried about what your insurance company might say if you were in an accident. Saying that I be never had an issue and none of the guys I've wheeled with have.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

You law enforcement people do a good job. Thankless job to say the least.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Sorry for my ignorance, but what about bead locks makes them a concern for legal or insurance reasons?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:36 PM
JK Freak

The only real concern would be from improper maintenance. If the bolts are not maintained at proper torque, the concern would be a failure at freeway speeds. But, maintenance failures can happen with any wheel/tire combo. How many times have you seen someone cruising down the road with low pressures in their tires for whatever the reason. Other than that, there are no California laws/any state laws that I'm aware of. Mine are not DOT approved, which is the somewhat tricky part. But now they make DOT approved beadlocks, so I'm hoping it would not be a high priority item for any police officer to pursuit. I don't think they would care enough to commit to memory which manufacturer is DOT approved and which is not.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DesolationMania
The only real concern would be from improper maintenance. If the bolts are not maintained at proper torque, the concern would be a failure at freeway speeds. But, maintenance failures can happen with any wheel/tire combo. How many times have you seen someone cruising down the road with low pressures in their tires for whatever the reason. Other than that, there are no California laws/any state laws that I'm aware of. Mine are not DOT approved, which is the somewhat tricky part. But now they make DOT approved beadlocks, so I'm hoping it would not be a high priority item for any police officer to pursuit. I don't think they would care enough to commit to memory which manufacturer is DOT approved and which is not.
that's true but I think most DOT approved things are either stamped or an officer requires you to prove it with paperwork. Too many times an officer will write you a ticket and just let the courts figure it out. I know several motor officers and they're more savvy on vehicle violations like this than you think, especially CHP ones.

highly unlikely you'd get a ticket or pulled over for just beadlocks unless you've got other vehicle code violations though.

update- I just asked my brother in law who's a Chippy if he knew what beadlocks were and he said "what's that? some kind of gay dude thing?"

I think you're safe

Last edited by Fugg it; 05-09-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beadlocks, Dreadlocks...its all the same thing
Old 05-10-2013, 04:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by conifers4
Beadlocks, Dreadlocks...its all the same thing
Made me LOL...
Old 05-10-2013, 04:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree comments that the insurance coverage is a bigger concern. While you never know when you may cross an officer that knows what they are and that they are illegal. You have a stack-up of things going for you. One, most street officers don't know what they are. Two, even if they do it is pretty tough to tell the difference from a real VS fake bead lock from a distance. Three, (and the biggest in my opinion), For the officers that do know and can tell - Do they care? They usually have bigger fish-to-fry. (Don't be an idiot and become the big fish)

Insurance on the other hand, well they will look for any and EVERY opportunity to deny a claim. Not running DOT wheels will certainly get them off the hook. I had a good friend fall a sleep at the wheel and total a Super-Duty Ford Pick-up. He put a mild lift on it and changed the tires to "D"s. The insurance denied his claim stating that the truck was designed to use "E" rated tires and he might have been able to recover from the incontinent if he had proper tires installed. He tried to sue, but lost. I think you can agree that this rating is far less significant than a wheel that is not citified for highway use. (the real kicker is that his new (larger) "D"s had a higher load rating than the stock "E"s.)

Keep in mind that if/when insurance denies your claim, it is not just your rig that isn't covered. You foot-the-bill for EVERYTHING. My buddy had to pay to repair guard-rail, pavement, fence, and replant trees. Luckily his medical insurance still covered his small injuries. But if someone else had gotten hurt he would have been paying for that too.

I wouldn't worry about the cops... I would worry about the what-if and insurance.

Quick Reply: Anyone pulled over for running beadlocks on the street?