Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone remove Soft Top completely instead of just down?

Old 02-22-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try Fastenal if you have one close to you, they usually have what you need and BTW if I have the time to do it I always remove the top instead of just laying it flat and take the doors off too!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh it is pretty light, weighs no more than I would say 15 pounds and it is only four bolts to take off so yeah I take it off all the time when I take it down.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:49 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the quick releases, and as everyone says they arent necesarry, but they sure are nice to have. One less tool i need to go grab if i want to do something to the jeep.

Strap the arms together & pull the discos, i can get it off by myself but it is easier with help. It isnt heavy, just a little akward to get on or off the jeep by yourself.

I try to take it off most times, but sometimes i use it as a safari top too, especially on days calling for heavy dew.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I have the quick releases, and as everyone says they arent necesarry, but they sure are nice to have. One less tool i need to go grab if i want to do something to the jeep.

Strap the arms together & pull the discos, i can get it off by myself but it is easier with help. It isnt heavy, just a little akward to get on or off the jeep by yourself.

I try to take it off most times, but sometimes i use it as a safari top too, especially on days calling for heavy dew.
Do you have the quick discos from Quadratec? I've considered getting those also, just to skip the looking for the Torx bit that fits step...
Old 02-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glwood6
Do you have the quick discos from Quadratec? I've considered getting those also, just to skip the looking for the Torx bit that fits step...
Yes, i do.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Probably have the roof off 7-8 months of the year

Can be a PITA when it’s raining but Hey! It's a Jeep thang, sure you understand ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MYJEEPwallpaper2.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	37609  
Old 03-17-2010, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Second season with the JK now and for the first time took the soft top off completely! Why did I not do this before? So simple and the Jeep looks much better without it folded down!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I considered the quick disconnects, but figured that would make it just a bit too tempting for thieves, since it'd be pretty much ready to go for them at that point. Not too worried about that, but also don't want to tempt them since I leave my jeep around all summer parked for long periods in remote locations without any supervision.

It looks to me like most (all?) tonneau covers require the top to be removed from the brackets, so that would be one good reason to have quick disconnects.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon

My sentiments exactly. That's why these are on my shopping list for spring. As well as a bikini top and half doors.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glwood6
Have you checked with a dealership in your area? They can't be more than a buck or two at the most. They're sort of odd in that they have the threads only on one end, not the whole bolt. Dealer would have them, or bolt and screw specialty shop, maybe. If you don't want to check those out, the quick discos would be the route to go.

If you need to know the size, I can remove one of the bolts from my top in storage and check out the size and threads...
I'm in the same situation. I just got a soft top but didn't get the torx screws. The dealer said they were 4.80 a piece and wouldn't tell me a description of the size/thread count. Anybody have a descriptions so I can try to find them at Fastnel or Lowes.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Anyone remove Soft Top completely instead of just down?