Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone remove Soft Top completely instead of just down?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine comes off in late fall when the hard top goes on.... other than that it is just down unless I take it off for a specific reason
Old 09-16-2010, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RubiDude
I have recently got a soft top for my JK and am missing the torx screws to attach the soft top frame to the Jeep. Does anyone know what size I could use or should I get the quick discos?

I do not anticipate removing the entire soft during the summer months...but it will be folded down all the time! Any pics that someone can provide to help me figure what I need would be great.

Thanks!
I didn't read through the 4 pages of thread to see if your question was answered, but the size is #10-24 x 3/4 (coarse thread) if you need an emergency screw fix. One of mine fell out and I ran into Home Depot while on a road trip for a temporary fix. I suspect you do need the actual replica for proper top operation.

Sandy
Old 09-16-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ramfublio
You will find out quickly what you like. Dont waste money on quick disconnects. It takes zero time to take them off with a torx. I like it with no option to have the top on sometimes, it adds adventure. Sometimes I need to have an option and want to be able to be warm. You'll find your rhythm.
-Ram
I completely disagree. I have the quick disconnects. Love them
Old 09-07-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so I read threw 5 pages and let me see if I have this correct. All I have to do to remove the soft top is remove 4 torque screws holding the frame to the roll bar and the whole soft top will remove? Why I ask is I want to remove the soft top completly and put on a hard top. Is there anything else I need to do. I am trading my soft top for a hard top.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by njdan
OK, so I read threw 5 pages and let me see if I have this correct. All I have to do to remove the soft top is remove 4 torque screws holding the frame to the roll bar and the whole soft top will remove? Why I ask is I want to remove the soft top completly and put on a hard top. Is there anything else I need to do. I am trading my soft top for a hard top.
You will want to remove the door surrounds, roll bar brackets, and tail gate brackets. That's pretty much it.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

The brackets are just help in by screws? Are they the black frames I see on top of the doors? Once all that is removed the hard top will just sit in place?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by njdan
The brackets are just help in by screws? Are they the black frames I see on top of the doors? Once all that is removed the hard top will just sit in place?
The roll bar brackets are held in by screws. You will need to pull back the roll bar fabric to unscrew the brackets. The surrounds are hold on by a couple of thumb screws. Remove those and pull up on the surrounds. The tail gate brackets just clip on.

The hard top will need these "pucks" that allow you to screw the top down to the body of the jeep both of my jeeps came with hard tops so I am not sure if a soft top only jeep comes with those. Other than that that's pretty much all there is to it. You can verify if you have the hard top screw pucks just go take a look at the cargo area of your jeep. If you have screw threads in the holes that run along the top lip of the cargo area then you are good to go.

Last edited by newbiejeeper; 09-07-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK, I just looked. I have holes that run along the cargo area on each side, there are no threads in the holes just a hole about 4-5 on each side. Also where the roll bar is on top I have holes where the 2 big plastic type finger screws hold on the front of the freedom top.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Ok. So you need those pucks I am talking about. They will allow you to attach the top to the jeep. You will want to get these from the person you are getting the hard top from. I think my four door had three pucks on each side and my two door had two pucks on each side. I didn't drive either jeep today so I can't take a pic for you.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK, Thanks for your help. Tomorrow I am looking to do the swap weather permitting. I will remember to get the "pucks" you are refering to.

Quick Reply: Anyone remove Soft Top completely instead of just down?