JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Auto or Manual (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/auto-manual-231517/)

Burkedad 05-11-2012 04:49 AM

Auto or Manual

I grew up in a Jeep family - first vehicle was a 87 Wagoneer. Then moved to a 82 CJ, then to a 94 YJ, and now my 11 JKU. All of them have been stick (except the Wagoneer). All of my dad's Jeeps (dating back to the 50's have been stick. It was sort of ingrained into my brain that "Son, if you are goingot own a Jeep - it's got to be manual". But now adays I see so many JKs and JKUs that are autos. I just really could never seem to allow mysoef to buy an auto in a Jeep.
So - 2 questions. What advantage do autos have and why did you buy an auto. Not hat'n just really curious.

Cheers!!!! :beer:

rob_engineer 05-11-2012 04:58 AM

Many threads on this topic. Consensus I have seen is that the 2012 auto is awesome compared to previous years. Also seems that a majority think that the auto is superior for rock crawling. I have the manual just because I have. It had a manual in like 20 years and it was time for a change. I love it but I'm sure I would have loved the auto as well. The auto will definatly get you off the starting line quicker in normal driving compared to the manual. Even with the 2012 power plant I have car backing up behind me when taking off at a stop light unless I am driving very aggressive.

TrainerJuice 05-11-2012 05:05 AM

Easier to multi task. Auto is preferred where people live in cities with a lot of traffic congestion.

JKJA10 05-11-2012 05:40 AM

Lets not forget a jeep is a 4X4 vehicle, its meant to be a 4x4 vehicle, its meant to be driven like a 4x4 vehicle, its suppose to handle and operate like a 4x4 vehicle, manuals run and operate better for 4x4 vehicles, all problems i hear about tranny's are auto's. You want speed, your worried who's first when the light turns green then get a car. Yeah i have a manual, jeep is slow but its not a turtle and my tranny will not over heat. Everything runs, functions, and operates perfectlly. Stick with manual, you'll be glad you did.

ReconJeep 05-11-2012 05:44 AM

Manual!! My biggest mistake was getting my JK in auto. It's plagued with all kinds of issues that manuals never have. My CJ and TJ are not manuals and will choose them first for wheeling than my auto JK. I leave the JK as my daily driver and even for that I wish I had it manual.

knnphillips 05-11-2012 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by ReconJeep
Manual!! My biggest mistake was getting my JK in auto. It's plagued with all kinds of issues that manuals never have. My CJ and TJ are not manuals and will choose them first for wheeling than my auto JK. I leave the JK as my daily driver and even for that I wish I had it manual.

What exactly is your Auto doing? I use my auto for DD and Trail Riding and you won't see me bypass any obstacles so just wondering what your issues are?

mojoe 05-11-2012 05:55 AM

JK hands down get manual
JKU, consider trying the auto

ronjenx 05-11-2012 05:59 AM

There are lots of threads about problems with manuals, too. Both have their unique potentials for problems.

Greep 05-11-2012 06:10 AM

I've had both. With traffic in DFW, I prefer the auto. Plus if something goes wrong with the auto, warranty will cover it. If you burn up your clutch on a manual, you pay out if pocket...

JK4x4wrangler 05-11-2012 06:13 AM

Manual, better on gas more fun off road!...oh and to Mr. "Easier to multi task" YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE MULTITASKING WHILE DRIVING!!! PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD!!

ronjenx 05-11-2012 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by JK4x4wrangler (Post 3008825)
Manual, better on gas

You're getting better than 23 on the highway and 18 around town?

MacCTD 05-11-2012 06:44 AM

Test drove both before I chose, I found the manual with the drive by wire hard to drive smoothly, I ended up getting the automatic. It has only been a few weeks but it is great so far, I have a JK with 3.73s, seems pretty quick as well.

JKatfish 05-11-2012 08:06 AM

For the 2012, i got the auto after having my heart set to get a manual. The JK manual is not like a "normal" manual in a sports car and I coulnt get used to the long throws, shaking stick and finicky clutch and gas pedal. You may like it if you are used to Jeeps idiosycrasis. The new engine works great with the auto and I havent looked back and glad I got the auto! You Jeep tho, your choice!

Burkedad 05-11-2012 09:18 AM

JKJ10 - I think you and I are on the same page. Everyone has their right to an opinion - but I could never see myself driving a auto Jeep.

JKJA10 05-11-2012 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Burkedad
JKJ10 - I think you and I are on the same page. Everyone has their right to an opinion - but I could never see myself driving a auto Jeep.

Same here, feel the same way.

Phantasm 05-11-2012 10:28 AM

I bought my Jeep with a lifetime powertrain and plan to own it till I die... and I don't see myself driving stick in 30 years, also the wife prefers auto (she CAN drive stick).

Also I'm 6'3, the auto has tons more legroom without the clutch pedal there. I can pop on the cruise and fully stretch out my legs for a few moments on the HWY as needed.

Lastly, I test drove a stick.. I almost didn't buy a Jeep because I hated the foot position of it so much compared to my 4runner. Tried the auto and it turned me around.

the_cuse420 05-11-2012 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by JK4x4wrangler
Manual, better on gas more fun off road!...oh and to Mr. "Easier to multi task" YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE MULTITASKING WHILE DRIVING!!! PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD!!

Hell yeah. Right on brother. Manuals make u pay for attention to driving

littlecricket 05-11-2012 11:04 AM

got my auto because I wanted a 2dr and even with the seat all the way back my knee hit the bottom of the dash when I shifted. I wouldn't have minded but when I was 13 I injured my leg and have some scars right were it was hitting the dash, very painful.

Mredkilledmyz 05-11-2012 11:11 AM

I chose the manual in my JKU. Owning an automatic never even crossed my mind to tell you the truth. I have owned about 13-14 cars in my life and maybe 3 were automatics and that is just because they didn't make those vehicles in manual.

I don't really know why I like driving manual so much but it is fun to me. Shifting through the gears and having that extra bit of control makes me feel good. I live in the city now and even during traffic the manual doesn't really bother me. I can't think of any time where I thought to myself "man I wish I had an auto".

As long as they keep making vehicles in manual, I will keep buying them in manual. And it doesn't hurt that my girlfriend can drive manual as well.

woodyvw9 05-11-2012 02:06 PM

I bought mine used with a manual so I did not have much choice unless I picked a different rig. I am not anti-automatic but the manual works well on/off road and commuter traffic is not that bad.

I like the manual and probably would get another one with the stick!

im-ocd 05-13-2012 05:34 AM

For those that text & eat while they drive or have to endure daily traffic congestion the auto has an advantage.
I got the manual. No regret.

TJM12 05-13-2012 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mredkilledmyz
I chose the manual in my JKU. Owning an automatic never even crossed my mind to tell you the truth. I have owned about 13-14 cars in my life and maybe 3 were automatics and that is just because they didn't make those vehicles in manual.

I don't really know why I like driving manual so much but it is fun to me. Shifting through the gears and having that extra bit of control makes me feel good. I live in the city now and even during traffic the manual doesn't really bother me. I can't think of any time where I thought to myself "man I wish I had an auto".

As long as they keep making vehicles in manual, I will keep buying them in manual. And it doesn't hurt that my girlfriend can drive manual as well.

Couldn't agree more!

jason07 05-13-2012 06:03 AM

I drive a jeep.

TJM12 05-13-2012 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by im-ocd
For those that text & eat while they drive or have to endure daily traffic congestion the auto has an advantage.
I got the manual. No regret.

Funny, I'm so used to driving manual that I can still eat, drink coffee etc. without much problem. I don't usually though. It's like anything else, you learn to improvise to the conditions. Having said that I don't see an auto as having that many advantages.

gunngee_.300 05-13-2012 06:22 AM

I have never owned an automatic until now. 2 big reasons I chose it is my wife drives it to and from work, with the busy roads the auto is easier for her. The other reason is she can't drive standard. I tried teaching her but I just don't think she's meant to drive one. With this, if we are out in the bush somewhere and I injure myself and can't drive, now she can get us out.
As for the off-road reasons to own a standard vs auto. There are so many pros and cons for each that really I think it comes down to personal preference.

Dkjk 05-13-2012 06:24 AM

I chose manual because it's part of the personality and experience of a Jeep. I've driven an auto JKU rubicon and for the life of me it felt almost like I was driving a boxy minivan. I just didn't have the same experience when driving an auto tranny Jeep. Out of all my friends that own jeeps, only one of them has an auto. He told me the only reason he didn't get manual is because the one he bought was already modded the way he wanted. Other than that he would've gotten manual.

Everyone is entitled to choose. I just think Jeeps are better with manuals.

TJM12 05-13-2012 06:32 AM

Another thought I had was that everything has become so automated today...we practically don't have to do anything anymore. Hell with the new iPhone and Siri we barely need to think or make decisions any more. I guess I enjoy holding onto the old school ways in some areas of life, driving is one of them.

Gowheelin 01-25-2013 04:15 AM

I had 03 rubicon with auto. I actually felt like I had it to easy. Traded I. For 2012 stick. I feel more engaged when driving. 6 speed gets slightly better gas. Also OffRoad it funner with less worry of fluid loss

CoachKen 01-25-2013 04:53 AM

Got a 2013 JKU about three weeks ago and went with manual. I enjoy being able to control the shift and feel more like part of the jeep. There is nothing like the feeling of the front having that little up down bounce when shifting gears on the jeep and letting the torque do its job!
When I brought it home my 15 yr old who got her permit a week prior asked what the third pedal was for. I told her it was mine and would explain it to her in a few months. :cool:

16 Unlimited Ways 01-25-2013 05:19 AM

JKU Auto here...

Rob 12B1P 01-25-2013 05:40 AM

If you know how to drive a stick, they are perfectly fine, but Ive seen plenty of people who would have had a better safer time if they would have just gotten an auto tranny. Me I can drive a stick but prefer an auto. Just less stuff to deal with when teetering up scary Cali mountains.

Tonka_yellow 01-25-2013 06:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well you can buy an auto and over hear them. Or you can buy a 6 speed and do this to throw out bearing.
Attachment 413755

All joking aside, jeep needs to step up their game.

Rednroll 01-25-2013 10:05 AM

Not another auto vs manual trans threads....This is as old as the 2dr vs 4dr debates.

Look, they both have advantages and disadvantages. If you read through all theses replies you should be able to soon recognize that they all come down to personal preferences. And everyone wants to try and convince you that their decision is the best decision because they need to personally justify that they never make the wrong decision. A disclaimer needs to be added to their statements that says "I never make the wrong decision for ME."

So you need to find out what is most important to YOU and how YOU will be planning to use the vehicle. Don't believe in personal preference statements which state a stick is better for rock crawling. That's nothing but personal preference crap. Both of them have advantages over the other for rock crawling. Heck rock crawling might not even be important to you. Find out what those important items are for you and make your decision based on what fits YOU best. Try not to get caught up in the personal preference bias where someone is only giving you the advantages of their personal choice while at the same time not giving you any advantages of the other option and disadvantages of their choice.

There's a reason the JK has BOTH available. So you have the ability to choose what fits YOU best.

jeepmojo 01-25-2013 10:58 AM

6 spped manual here

they rock out of a rut better too ! I love driving a standard shift , I do feel Chrysler should invest more in building a solid tranny
theve always made a crap one ive heard for many years ! why:thinking: yould think with all the brains and years of dealings theyd fix the issues right ? it just makes no sence to me here we are in 2013 and my 12 makes odd sounds when in idle theres just no need in this . now ill say this I still wouldn't drive a automatic but someone tell Chrysler to resolve their manufacturing
flaws and they would keep a lot more customers I certainly wont come back for another one from what I see is poor quality and brushing off customers with a (they all do this / and its a jeep thing ) the bail out should have told America something !
now im going to enjoy my jeep for what I payed all this money for if it kills me ! but we shouldn't be worried if the dealer will fix it or shrug us off !Attachment 413835

Rednroll 01-25-2013 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by jeepmojo (Post 3398322)
they rock out of a rut better too ! I love driving a standard shift , I do feel Chrysler should invest more in building a solid tranny
theve always made a crap one ive heard for many years ! why:thinking: yould think with all the brains and years of dealings theyd fix the issues right ? it just makes no sence to me here we are in 2013 and my 12 makes odd sounds when in idle theres just no need in this . now ill say this I still wouldn't drive a automatic but someone tell Chrysler to resolve their manufacturing
flaws and they would keep a lot more customers I certainly wont come back for another one from what I see is poor quality and brushing off customers with a (they all do this / and its a jeep thing ) the bail out should have told America something !
now im going to enjoy my jeep for what I payed all this money for if it kills me ! but we shouldn't be worried if the dealer will fix it or shrug us off !Attachment 413835

I have had no problems with my auto tranny, 60K miles on it. Plus, mine came with a lifetime warranty. Since, you own a manual it doesn't really sound like you're speaking from experience.

jeepmojo 01-26-2013 06:45 AM

ive had both auto and manual get the manual autos are for

,people who cant drive manual for one reason or another to answer the post above speaking from experiance your most likely a dick anyway go grab on to some 480 volt busduct :taunt: end of story

Rednroll 01-26-2013 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by jeepmojo (Post 3399507)
,people who cant drive manual for one reason or another to answer the post above speaking from experiance your most likely a dick anyway go grab on to some 480 volt busduct :taunt: end of story

Sounds like you need to go work on your English before trying to insult anyone. Your post above and your original post could really use some work. I decided to let it slide and not make a point of it before, but since you chose to throw stones and call names....now is the time for me to point it out.

I have no problem driving a stick. Just got back from a business trip where I was test driving a Scion FR-S for an entire week. Oh, that's a stick by the way. The 1st car I ever drove was a stick. So, I grew up driving a stick. After that car which I drove for 3 years, I went out and purchased another stick which I drove for 6 years and put well over 200K miles on it. Contrary to what you might think, just because someone chooses to not buy a stick, does not necessarily mean they do not know how to drive a stick. That would be a pretty ignorant assumption to make, but then again after reading your posts, they sound pretty ignorant. So like they say, "If the shoe fits..."

KG6SLC 01-30-2013 12:20 PM

AUTO vx MANUAL

I've owned both automatic and stick (this is my 5th Jeep). This go around I SPECIFICALLY got a manual. My Jeep is my DD and I coast around 100 miles PER WEEK(engine off). One can't do that with an auto without damage to the trans. Some drivers, (particularly those without coasting experience), believe dead engine coasts are not safe. I have been doing this for years and if you were riding with me I would challenge you to tell when I was coasting and when not. One rule that I have is that I do not impede traffic during my coasts.

One of my previous vehicles (an automatic) developed a transmission leak during an outing and that was where It stayed. At least with a stick I have a better chance of making it home if the starter, battery, or transmission computer fails or my trans developed a leak.

It comes down to preference... My preference is for a manual. Even for my 4 door.

Eugene

madmike232 01-30-2013 12:41 PM

I have a 09 auto and I think I am going to convert it to a stick. The new autos with the penstar are good.

gsxr1000dave 01-30-2013 01:26 PM

I personally would have bought a stick but thats not what my wife wanted(she drives it mostly). The auto trans are lazy and make it feel like a big dog. Stick all the way!!!