Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Auto or Manual

Old 05-11-2012, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto or Manual

I grew up in a Jeep family - first vehicle was a 87 Wagoneer. Then moved to a 82 CJ, then to a 94 YJ, and now my 11 JKU. All of them have been stick (except the Wagoneer). All of my dad's Jeeps (dating back to the 50's have been stick. It was sort of ingrained into my brain that "Son, if you are goingot own a Jeep - it's got to be manual". But now adays I see so many JKs and JKUs that are autos. I just really could never seem to allow mysoef to buy an auto in a Jeep.
So - 2 questions. What advantage do autos have and why did you buy an auto. Not hat'n just really curious.

Cheers!!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 04:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Many threads on this topic. Consensus I have seen is that the 2012 auto is awesome compared to previous years. Also seems that a majority think that the auto is superior for rock crawling. I have the manual just because I have. It had a manual in like 20 years and it was time for a change. I love it but I'm sure I would have loved the auto as well. The auto will definatly get you off the starting line quicker in normal driving compared to the manual. Even with the 2012 power plant I have car backing up behind me when taking off at a stop light unless I am driving very aggressive.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Easier to multi task. Auto is preferred where people live in cities with a lot of traffic congestion.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:40 AM
JK Freak

Lets not forget a jeep is a 4X4 vehicle, its meant to be a 4x4 vehicle, its meant to be driven like a 4x4 vehicle, its suppose to handle and operate like a 4x4 vehicle, manuals run and operate better for 4x4 vehicles, all problems i hear about tranny's are auto's. You want speed, your worried who's first when the light turns green then get a car. Yeah i have a manual, jeep is slow but its not a turtle and my tranny will not over heat. Everything runs, functions, and operates perfectlly. Stick with manual, you'll be glad you did.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Manual!! My biggest mistake was getting my JK in auto. It's plagued with all kinds of issues that manuals never have. My CJ and TJ are not manuals and will choose them first for wheeling than my auto JK. I leave the JK as my daily driver and even for that I wish I had it manual.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ReconJeep
Manual!! My biggest mistake was getting my JK in auto. It's plagued with all kinds of issues that manuals never have. My CJ and TJ are not manuals and will choose them first for wheeling than my auto JK. I leave the JK as my daily driver and even for that I wish I had it manual.
What exactly is your Auto doing? I use my auto for DD and Trail Riding and you won't see me bypass any obstacles so just wondering what your issues are?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

JK hands down get manual
JKU, consider trying the auto
Old 05-11-2012, 05:59 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

There are lots of threads about problems with manuals, too. Both have their unique potentials for problems.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had both. With traffic in DFW, I prefer the auto. Plus if something goes wrong with the auto, warranty will cover it. If you burn up your clutch on a manual, you pay out if pocket...
Old 05-11-2012, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Manual, better on gas more fun off road!...oh and to Mr. "Easier to multi task" YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE MULTITASKING WHILE DRIVING!!! PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD!!

Quick Reply: Auto or Manual