Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Auto vs Manual

Old 08-08-2014, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between auto and manual, this is my thinking in a nutshell:

- auto is better for offroad beginners
- manual is better for advanced
- pro drivers can manage both of them reaching the same result
- Gas mileage in favour of manual
- funny driving in favour of manual
- traffic jams survival tool: automatic

Am I wrong? :-)

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods...
Old 08-08-2014, 01:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Brizio81
Between auto and manual, this is my thinking in a nutshell: - auto is better for offroad beginners - manual is better for advanced - pro drivers can manage both of them reaching the same result - Gas mileage in favour of manual - funny driving in favour of manual - traffic jams survival tool: automatic Am I wrong? :-) There is a pleasure in the pathless woods...
I've read on here that the professional level rock crawlers all use automatics.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Howdy

Wanted to know what very experience rock dwellers thought about auto. Offen the begun with manual so they are not so used with auto and the 2012+ auto is better than older autos.

I looked what Wayoflife had to say about the thing and I think his real name is Eddie and is founder of this site and now have the wayoflife site.

His latest vehicle is the Rubicat 2012 Rubi with Auto. And he choosed a auto for wheeling!

And somebody ask him this in year 2012 and he was new to auto as a understand it.

"
Originally Posted by Eastwood

Which one do you prefer on the trials an automatic or a manual. For functionality and just personal preference, and which one do you think is easier to work on and modify.

i've been wheeling a manual forever and so, it's what i know best. however, wheeling an auto is SO MUCH EASIER. in fact, cindy and i joke that it's practically cheating.

From WAYALIFE.com : More than just a Jeep - It's a way of life! - RubiCAT

So it is very intresting that he is not used to Auto and is a expert manual driver but still states that wheeling an auto is so much easier to wheel with and then compared to a manual.

He is a very experienced manual 4x4 wheeler and knows very much about JKs and know a lot of other wheelers

Also he must have a lot of discussion with other wheelers about manual vs auto and got there input to state that auto is so much easier when wheeling.

Here is his rubicat, and take a look on his other videos, the are super. Look here https://www.youtube.com/user/wayalife/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WziJt-89k4&list=UU7wnnGoViGUkBbddXgBivoQ
Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Howdy again

Wayoflife states this

"I have driven and wheeled manuals my whole life and it's what I know best. I love them as they can be a lot of fun BUT, if you're asking which is better in terms of wheeling? You're kidding yourself if you think a manual would be better. Autos are so much easier especially on the rocks, Cindy and I call it cheating. BUT, if you play hard, it really is the way to go just as much as running lockers. Sure you can wheel open diffs but, lockers will make things a lot easier. But hey, I'm just a mall crawler."

From I need help! 6 speed or AUTO - Page 3

And he writes this from the same thread above

"Ummmm, nah. Gearing will help but the same can be said about an auto. Put in better gearing and/or add an Atlas 4-speed and it'll walk all over a manual on the rocks. Of course, there is a point where you can be geared too low and an auto won't stall the way a manual WILL. Depending on where you're at on the obstacle, this can really suck, make your ascent more difficult or allow you to slide or fall into a position that you weren't planning on. Like I said, I'm not saying a manual isn't fun or that wheeling it hard can't be done but, when it come to big rocks, an auto has a manual any day of the week. There really is no two ways about it. This is the reason why ALL competition race rigs run autos and why we finally gave in and chose to do an auto for Moby with his LS swap. Do I miss having a manual? You bet, I love them but, for what I do, I understood that going auto was the better way to go."

Last edited by Omar Brannstrom; 08-09-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Okay, I'm guilty of not reading through this entire thread. But, from the few posts I've bothered to read, let me say that if you don't find driving a standard, for whatever reason, fun, don't do it. If you want to go rock crawl and find the auto easier and don't care that the 99% of the miles you put on your Jeep on the highway will be less fun (and that's assuming that you find road driving a Jeep with a manual fun), but making rock crawling easier is more important to you, then for crying out loud go buy an auto. If you are going to compete in the King of Hammers in your Jeep and you've noted that the past umpteen winners have driven autos and you think that will improve your odds, then don't listen to anyone else--go buy the auto. But, please, please, please: STOP trying to convince those of us who enjoy driving a manual that we're somehow wrong. We're not wrong. We just have different priorities. No one promised us that rock crawling should be easier. No one said we'd ever compete in the KOH. This drivel in this thread about so and so said this and such and such won this and that is just total BS. Good gosh. Give it a rest, and I absolutely promise you this: I will in no way try to dissuade you from your decision. I have no more business quoting such ridiculous things as who drives what and he's famous because of this and therefore you're wrong. You're not wrong to want an auto. You are wrong to treat it like some sort of religious zealot who thinks sex is wrong and you're bound and determined to rid the world of it.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mark do You have a bad day, this is normally not You
Old 08-09-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I prefer manual, they are more fun IMO. Wife has tried to learn how to drive manual but does not have enough hands to steer, talk on phone, apply makeup and shift. In my family having an auto is more inclusive and makes the Jeep fun for everybody.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my 2012 JK used from a large car reseller a week or so ago. Wanted a Jeep for years but needed certain features. Hard top was mandatory as I carry things in the vehicle that need to be a bit more secure. The JK I found was a Sahara with 7,500 miles and looked like it had never been driven in the rain. I would have bought it with either manual or auto - this one has auto. So far I am very happy with the way it feels. An added bonus is that I have a hand free at all times for the "Jeep Wave." I look forward to learning about off-road driving. I hear there are clubs that meet at Uwharrie Forest for events.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Omar Brannstrom
Howdy Wanted to know what very experience rock dwellers thought about auto. Offen the begun with manual so they are not so used with auto and the 2012+ auto is better than older autos. I looked what Wayoflife had to say about the thing and I think his real name is Eddie and is founder of this site and now have the wayoflife site. His latest vehicle is the Rubicat 2012 Rubi with Auto. And he choosed a auto for wheeling! And somebody ask him this in year 2012 and he was new to auto as a understand it. " Originally Posted by Eastwood Which one do you prefer on the trials an automatic or a manual. For functionality and just personal preference, and which one do you think is easier to work on and modify. i've been wheeling a manual forever and so, it's what i know best. however, wheeling an auto is SO MUCH EASIER. in fact, cindy and i joke that it's practically cheating. From WAYALIFE.com : More than just a Jeep - It's a way of life! - RubiCAT So it is very intresting that he is not used to Auto and is a expert manual driver but still states that wheeling an auto is so much easier to wheel with and then compared to a manual. He is a very experienced manual 4x4 wheeler and knows very much about JKs and know a lot of other wheelers Also he must have a lot of discussion with other wheelers about manual vs auto and got there input to state that auto is so much easier when wheeling. Here is his rubicat, and take a look on his other videos, the are super. Look here https://www.youtube.com/user/wayalife/videos YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WziJt-89k4&list=UU7wnnGoViGUkBbddXgBivoQ
dude, you're just a smart ass. And I thought I was a smart ass. Aren't you part of that group that insists on he "way of life stocker" on the rigs?

Learn how to have a discussion without being condescending. You might get some respect from people. We can chat next time I'm in SoCal, next week.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
dude, you're just a smart ass. And I thought I was a smart ass. Aren't you part of that group that insists on he "way of life stocker" on the rigs?

Learn how to have a discussion without being condescending. You might get some respect from people. We can chat next time I'm in SoCal, next week.
Howdy

It was not ment to be condescending, to any one. Where did You get that from, I have not mention any names or so. This information was more to the Brizio81 guy from Italy that we are trying to help between manual or automatic. This information was not to the manual guys, it was a helping information for thoose who dont have a JK yet. Brizio81 writes something about manual is for advanced drivers something and I gave information that a advanced driver here prefers auto.

Dude Is that not a word youngsters uses

As a am a information seeker I was looking after information from Jeepers that had long experience and and have experience from many different kinds of Jeeps and have driven manuals in terrain and the most important thing was that they had experiences from the new 5 speed automatic in terrain.

I found this guy Eddie and I dont know him but I really like his movies.

Eddie seems to know many other wheelers and I think he his buddies knows alot about jks.

Please share if You have information from some other that have more experience than Eddie when it comes to the new 5 speed auto and have driven manuals and have done so much rock crawling. There are many out there that Could have an other opinion

I was just qouting what Eddie wrote, I have no idea if he is correct, but he do have experience in the new 5 speed tranny

Anyway

Here are some movies from Eddie. He has a ponnytail and speaks and have the yellow rubicat Wrangler and he is the founder of this site and the wayoflife site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jXTL6dOdQc&list=UU7wnnGoViGUkBbddXgBivoQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ir8owS01g&list=UU7wnnGoViGUkBbddXgBivoQ

Last edited by Omar Brannstrom; 08-09-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Auto vs Manual