Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Back the dealership.....

Old 12-20-2010, 05:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Back the dealership.....

I have a 2009 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon and now it looks like I'm going to have to get the Jeep towed to the dealership tomorrow. I only had this thing for 4 months and now trouble with it already!! I started it up today using the command start and for some reason it shut itself off after only 3 mins. I started it back up with the key and it starts up fine, but when I go to step on the accelerator, the engine slows down and sounds like it's gonna stop. The check engine light is on and there is something on the dash that said AET8 or ATE8 or something like that, but I have no idea what that is. At least I have the full warranty on the thing.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 01-05-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is to bad, I am an automotive student currently and I think I just learned about your issue In emissions class. what was said in class was " after market accessories" like remote starts can cause misfires and set dtc's because it tied into the ignition system there are tsb's about it I guess. They say if it is not a really high quality one it can reek havoc on your vehicle, maybe jeep is using a not so very good one. I would take that off of my jeep not worth the trouble is my take on them.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problem. My factory remote start has worked fine since the day I bought my 08 two years ago. Hopefully it's a quick fix on your Jeep.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
Sorry to hear about your problem. My factory remote start has worked fine since the day I bought my 08 two years ago. Hopefully it's a quick fix on your Jeep.
Same here my remote start has worked fine, since i got it, my wifes 2006 pt cruiser was an add on mopar, still working fine.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

I decided to try starting it up this morning and it seems to be running fine. There's no engine noise and when I push on the accelerator it seems to rev up and have it's normal power now, although the check engine light is still on. Anyways, I was able to just drive it to the dealership and they'll be looking into the problem this afternoon. When I took it in, they noted the 2 recalls on the vehicle also...the transmision temp sensor and the fender liner thing.

I think my JK has the factory installed remote start so I don't know, it could be causing trouble with the sytem. I was talking to a friend of mine last night and he thinks I might have just got some condensation build-up inside somewhere just because it's been so cold lately. He said I should take the Jeep out on the highway or offroad more often to really work the engine and get the operating temps up. I guess underworking the engine isn't a good thing either. Maybe I'll have to start taking the long route to work...
Old 12-21-2010, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

Heard back from the dealership finally... They say the code was for cylinder #4 misfire. I always thought that if the cylinders misfired the check engine light would start flashing, but it did not. When I drove it earlier to the dealership there was no shaking or noise or anything like that. Thank god for warranties.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

Thumbs up

Got my Jeep back this morning. As it turns out, there was a faulty spark plug causing the misfire. I only ended up paying $60, but that's cause I paid for an oil change right away as well. Man, without a warranty they would have probably charged me $500 just in labor for time spent troubleshooting the problem. I am super happy I got my Jeep back.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:26 PM
JK Junkie

awesome !! i just had to take back my Jeep to the dealership because i found my Transmission leaking oil, again. They had me up and running in a few hours, like you said thank goodness for warranties.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Check engine lights on all new cars only mean the car is emitting more emissions then normal. The cause of that is vast so it is always good to address it. But, normally, if it runs and has fluids, you can drive it, at least to the dealership. No point in getting a tow just for a check engine light assuming there isn't a lake of oil or coolant on the ground.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:46 PM
JK Freak

Well it's been a little over a week now and I have the same problem again. It's doing the same thing as before just that this time the check engine light has not come on. I think they only changed the one spark plug and now maybe another one is down. This is the second time it's happened after using the factory remote start. I don't know, maybe the remote start is sending bad signals or some darn thing. All I know is this is getting really frustrating.....

Quick Reply: Back the dealership.....