Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bad experience at the Miami airport this weekend

Old 07-22-2013, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny how the no compressed gasses rule on checked bags is a FAA rule and note TSA...
Old 07-22-2013, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Bummer. Guess you live and learn.

I am also with those who are ok with added security. Anyone remember back when you could fly with just about anything and nobody cared, yeah me too then this crazy thing called 9/11 happened. Life changes and the good old days are sometimes just old and not really good....
Old 07-22-2013, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take liberty over security any day...
Old 07-22-2013, 08:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know... That security could make the difference between life or death. I think I'd choose life over liberty.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Sure they're a joke until they catch some guy trying to board a plane with explosives in their shoes and end up saving 100's of innocent lives.

It's definitely one of those thankless jobs. Everyone feels hassled because they have to take their shoes and belt off, pull out their ID and not be allowed to bring shock absorbers on with them but when they actually deter terrorists or catch some wack job smuggling box cutters and other potential weapons everyone seems ungrateful.

I travel 2-3 times a month for business which ends up being 24 times a year. Been doing that for 12 years....frequent flyer miles adding up. I've never had a problem with TSA, other than them confiscating my toothpaste and the occasional lighter I forgot I had in my pocket. I'm glad they're there and doing a job that a vast majority doesn't seem to be thankful for. If it means I can feel a tad safer and I can't bring my rancho shocks and Tereflex lift kit on the plane with me, then I can live with the trade off.
knives are allowed....
Old 07-22-2013, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am a pilot for one of the big three, I thank you all for flying and dealing with the TSA. Every rule is a reaction to previous attempts to kill people. Not just in our country, but all over the world. When freight companies carry those types of items they are packed in large metal shipping containers. In a suitcase, those items cause a threat to airframe structure if they rupture ( hydraulic fluids are very corrosive). While you rag on the TSA and disapprove of the FAA mandated restrictions, I have the right to return home to my family every time I go to work. Just like you!

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 07-22-2013, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

And no, knives are not allowed!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dbmoorejr
And no, knives are not allowed!

I just saw where they dropped the plan to change it. I fly myself if possible

Old 07-23-2013, 03:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebelyell22
I just saw where they dropped the plan to change it. I fly myself if possible

Originally, anything over 2 inches in length and/or having a locking blade, was not going to be allowed but the rule was changed back to NO Knives

In early 2013, the TSA made a historic announcement that small knives were once again going to be allowed on planes. However, after receiving blowback from the public and strong resistance from the Association of Flight Attendants, the TSA decided to abandon the plan to allow small knives onboard.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-23-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbmoorejr
I am a pilot for one of the big three, I thank you all for flying and dealing with the TSA. Every rule is a reaction to previous attempts to kill people. Not just in our country, but all over the world. When freight companies carry those types of items they are packed in large metal shipping containers. In a suitcase, those items cause a threat to airframe structure if they rupture ( hydraulic fluids are very corrosive). While you rag on the TSA and disapprove of the FAA mandated restrictions, I have the right to return home to my family every time I go to work. Just like you!

Well said Sir, especially coming straight from the horse. (not calling you a horse)

Quick Reply: Bad experience at the Miami airport this weekend