Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bad experience at the Miami airport this weekend

Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbmoorejr
I am a pilot for one of the big three, I thank you all for flying and dealing with the TSA. Every rule is a reaction to previous attempts to kill people. Not just in our country, but all over the world. When freight companies carry those types of items they are packed in large metal shipping containers. In a suitcase, those items cause a threat to airframe structure if they rupture ( hydraulic fluids are very corrosive). While you rag on the TSA and disapprove of the FAA mandated restrictions, I have the right to return home to my family every time I go to work. Just like you!

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
I have my A&P license. I work on planes and I can tell you for a fact that shocks in a cargo area of the plane are not a threat to the airframe structure. Even with the compression and decompression changes. They Will not cause damage. As for the hydraulic fluid... Obviously you just fly the bird.. And you don't work on them. There is always some kind of fluid leaking, fluid residue or spilled. If its not leaking that means its empty and you have bigger problems than some shocks in the cargo area.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The TSA regulations are only as effective as the agents supporting them. Like other posters here, I take dozens of flights throughout the year. Of the eight airports I frequent, four of them uphold the rules consistently (I've since learned that those are OTJ training locations). Another two of them seem to have less stringent regulations that vary every time I pass through and the last two run completely hot and cold.

I've come right out and asked TSA agents why the differing regulations. The ones with the superiority complex tell me that it doesn't happen, it only looks that way to me. (yeah, ok buddy). The honest ones tell me we already know, which is there are lazy people in every industry, this one is no different. One specific example is keeping a separate bag with liquids in it and removing it from your bag. I don't have a bag just for liquids, I use a bag with all my toiletries in it. Sometimes I remove it, some times I don't.

Yes, another thankless job where people give you shit all day long. No, they weren't forced to take the job and knew what they were signing up for.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for the record, the shocks were in the original box as bought and divided over 4 suitcases to minimize the weight of the suitcase. (hard plastic samsonite's)
they were not in my hand-luggage.

As said before not bashing security regulations, they are what they are.

But very dissapointed in the way Iberia-airlines handelded this matter, they would keep them in custody until midnight which was about 7hours, but I was on a 11 hours flight...so by the time I got home there was nothing I could do.
Checked in my bags 3hours in advance which is required for an international flight but they notified me only 20minutes before check-in.

I am going to stop whining about it and keep enjoying my Jeep Wrangler with stock shocks.

BTW We had a great vacation in (not so) sunny Florida !
Old 07-23-2013, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=jerryb501;3626349]

But very dissapointed in the way Iberia-airlines handelded this matter, they would keep them in custody until midnight which was about 7hours, but I was on a 11 hours flight...so by the time I got home there was nothing I could do.
Checked in my bags 3hours in advance which is required for an international flight but they notified me only 20minutes before check-in.

QUOTE]

This does seem poorly handled, but at least you had a good vacation!

Quick Reply: Bad experience at the Miami airport this weekend