Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is it a bad idea to get a 2012 JKU Rubi Automatic with the 3.73 gears

Old 09-17-2011, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxg765
Hi All,

Finalizing my details for an order and wondering the following. I am only looking at 2012's

I'm pretty much decided on the 2012 JKU Rubi over the Sahara with the Automatic transmission. Never owned an Automatic vehicle before but this way the wife can drive it should her car be out of commission.

As we all know, standard on the Rubi is the 4.10 Gears but I am considering getting the 3.73 gears. Is that a bad idea? I currently do not off road but wouldn't mind starting some very light off roading in the future. I will never mod it or do any heavy off roading. I don't own anything to tow/pull. I do own classic cars but have never towed any of them, I drive them...so not sure if I'll ever start pulling them. this will be my primary vehicle for work and recreational use. I spend a lot of time on the road. Mixed between city and highway usage the South Florida region.

So which gearing would be best for me? Would the 3.73 in the Rubi just be a bad idea? Would getting a 3.73 hurt resale in anyway being a Rubi with 3.73? I know, I didn't even get it yet and I'm asking about re-sale value, but i gotta be practical and think ahead. What if the diesel engine comes out in 2 years...

Anyone out there have a Rubi with the 3.73? How's the gas mileage on the highway compared to the 4.10.

There happens to be a 2012 on a lot with all the options I would order but with the 4.10 gears. So far whats holding me back is 3.73 or I'd be there making an offer...

Thanks in advance for the opinions.

Max
Originally Posted by f2fast4u
If I could do it over again, I'd have gotten the 3.73's on mine instead of the 4.10's. The new Pentastar makes so much more power that it makes the 4.10's really over-kill for DD. Plus, with the better geared transfer case of the Rubicon's I don't see where the 4.10's are needed anyway. I drove a 2003 Sport (modified) for years over all kinds of off-roading and didn't have 4.10 gears or the better transfer case. I think my old one was 2.7:1 (?) on the transfer case gearing.
Originally Posted by maxg765
Hi All,

Thanks to all that have posted. Your feed back is appreciated.

I like the rubicon because of its tires and height. I want a truck with the look of a truck.

In comparison here is what I would love to own. Keep in mind that I have never gone off roading as of yet aside form tours.
1979 to 1983 Toyota FJ-40
1993 Defender 110 NAS
Old Vintage jeeps from the 40's, 50's and 60's
I's love to own any of those. I came very close to buying a fully restored 1993 Defender 110 last year, it got sold just before I got to it.
I just love the looks (safari) and utility of them.

I would like to get into some off roading but it will never be rock crawling. It would be light recreational paths.

I want a fully loaded unit with leather (I have young kids), NAV (I'm in a new city and country), plus both tops (I'm in Florida now), body color matching hard top and fenders.

The Sahara should really be the model for me. Its got the 3.73 and comes loaded with what I would want. Thats said, when I set the two models next to each other the Rubi just looks more safarish. It looks higher and more aggressive. If I got the Sahara I would probably want to change the tires which would add an additional cost narrowing the price gap.

I think I'm going to order a 2012 Rubi with Automatic, the 3.73 gears, saddle leather, side air bags, NAV, tow package, matching fenders and hard top, dual tops plus I think there was something else I'll have to check. It will live a pampered life but will get used as my DD and family/kid hauler. Camping will happen along with light off roading. Who knows maybe I'll get more into the off roading as time goes on.

Would towing a small classic car with the 3.73 be an issue?

Now for the color. Was looking at Dozer, want to see the new crush and Green, "Black Forest Green" or white (safari) as my fall back color.

Thanks and best regards,

Max

First, the 3.73 gear is the perfect all around ratio for street/drags/offroading/towing ... I don't think you would be disapointed based on what your plans are. I ordered a 8.1L 3500 Cargo Van with 3.73 vs. 4.10 standard gears and I'm glad I did. Typically an engine will scream with 4.10s on the highway... but depends on your final drive ratio.

Go out to Randy's Ring and Pinion and put in your combo and see where your RPMs and MPH are with the different ratios....

Sometimes you can simlate this by driving your current ride around in 3rd gear at 70 MPH...

Will it tow a small classic car? ... I'm into classic cars so what do you have and how much does it weigh with the trailer?

YOU need to understand GVWR before determining if the JKU can tow your rig with 3.73s vs 4.10s .....

Chrysler Jeep should be able to give that number....

EDIT: Randy's calculator link...

http://www.ringpinion.com/Calc_RPM.aspx

Last edited by m998dna; 09-17-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

'12 with 4.10 turns 2600 rpm at 70 mph with Auto.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ranjr
'12 with 4.10 turns 2600 rpm at 70 mph with Auto.
Actually that's near the sweet spot ... when towing, 4.10s may help the slight HP drop between 2400 and 3800 RPM.

Randy's recommends towing with a V6 between 2000 to 3000 RPM.

I say it depends on his towing weight ... get that number and if it's near the Max GVWR then I would go with 4.10s.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by m998dna
Actually that's near the sweet spot ... when towing
Maybe, but it sure doesn't help fuel mileage. I get 16.5 city and 16.5 at 70. 2600 rpm is about 200 rpm past the 'green' area on the tach. Those with 3.73 and 3.21 are getting a couple more MPGs than those of us with 4.10s.

I only got the 4.10 because I'm planning to run 35s, this is why I say those sticking with 32s or 33s should highly consider the 3.73s or even 3.21s if not planning to go off road much.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

you mentioned a roof rack? stick with the 4.10's.

If you want to squeeze a couple of extra MPG's out of it there will be after market options for that soon.

I'm assuming if you're thinking roof rack, it'll have weight on it. Keep in mind as you add weight, or decide to do a slight tire increase you give up a little power - which is the primary reason most switch gears, to compensate for the bigger tire, bumpers etc...

Even with the 3.6 HP and 5 speed, a roof rack will have drag and IMO the 4.10's will make you happier in the long run.

Also keep in mind the Rubi sits taller = additional wind drag. just a brick that wants to fly....

with additional weight and wind drag, the 4.10's will do a better job of keeping in the power band when weighted down, towing capacity on Rubi with 4.10's is also better.

Just guessing if you're mentioning a roof rack you will be doing outdoor stuff, not necessarily 4-wheeling

not sure what effect 3.73's would have on the d44 lockers..

I was averaging 19 - 22 mpg on long trips @ 70-75mph- around town 15-16 when stock - I use the cruise control as often as possible.

Last year I found a gas station that sold real gas, no ethanol and my mileage/performance was awesome! too bad they got bought out by Shell...

almost forgot, Rubi setup weighs more - D44's front and rear add more weight

Last edited by jeeeep; 09-17-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

Maybe, but it sure doesn't help fuel mileage. I get 16.5 city and 16.5 at 70. 2600 rpm is about 200 rpm past the 'green' area on the tach. Those with 3.73 and 3.21 are getting a couple more MPGs than those of us with 4.10s.

I only got the 4.10 because I'm planning to run 35s, this is why I say those sticking with 32s or 33s should highly consider the 3.73s or even 3.21s if not planning to go off road much.
I didn't read the whole thread but that's excellent advice you gave there...

I guess I'm more concerned about his plans to tow another vehicle with a trailer... if he's near the MAX GVWR with the JK then he needs to consider he higher ratio for that purpose only...

Not sure how often, the distance, over grades, etc... that should play a part in his decision. Otherwise he may be specifying the combo for the lower spec tolerance. Then he goes to tow his pride and joy and runs into trouble on the road while towing. That 200 rpm may be the difference he needs. Of course he should be towing at 55 mph anyway...

Where's the RPM at 55 MPH? ...

I think I have the same auto trans in my 2010 Jeep SRT ... I have 3.73's but it won't tow anything.

My old 1991 Cherokee has 3.55s with a AW4 .... 31's and it struggles, not to mention the brakes aren't worth a shit for towing...

Old 09-17-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by m998dna
Where's the RPM at 55 MPH?
If I remember right, about 2000 rpm in OD. And I agree with you 100% that the 4.10 ratio would be better for towing but bow much of his time will he be towing. If it's a small amount, the 3.73 left in 4th gear may work just as good and provide better mileage when not towing.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

I can attest to the drag of a roofrack! We sed one on an 09 Suburban that usually getS 20+ hwy on a trip to FL two years ago and the mileage dropped to 14ish...it made crazy noise and you could really feel it!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

If I remember right, about 2000 rpm in OD. And I agree with you 100% that the 4.10 ratio would be better for towing but bow much of his time will he be towing. If it's a small amount, the 3.73 left in 4th gear may work just as good and provide better mileage when not towing.
Yes correct .... I run my '91 Cherokee in 3rd all the time. And that should be a viable alternative to use the lower gear ratio or to prevent from swaping to a higher ratio. And since you have the W5A580 5-speed automatic, then running in 4th or 3rd gear could be the best possible combination.

BTW ... the W5A580 5-speed automatic you guys have in the 2012 JKU is a good transmission... it's the same transmission used in the 2006-10 Jeep SRT8 and Mercedes Benz E55 AMG.

It's known to hold up to 600 rwhp .... it will take some abuse.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

reading the posts I think some are hung up on mpg's - the Jeep will never be a mpg contender until it gets a diesel and maybe not even then.

I bought a Jeep for it's capabilty to take me pretty much where I want to go when i want to go. Personally, I like the mountains and outdoors and the Rubicon package has not let me down.

if you're looking to buy a Jeep, mpg should not be a consideration - JMO

to get an idea of the 3.73 with Rubi weight, add about 300lbs to your Jeep and drive around for a week - see what it does to overall performance

Last edited by jeeeep; 09-17-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Is it a bad idea to get a 2012 JKU Rubi Automatic with the 3.73 gears