Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Basic Advice.....

Old 05-14-2017, 03:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic Advice.....

Hey, so I just bought a stock 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport for my 17 year old son. He is not going to go four wheeling - i dont think anyway...I would like to start modifying this Jeep him...actually he's going to do it with his bday money...So just so I can get some ideas...can you provide me with advice on:

If we were to lift Jeep how high would you suggest? keep in mind he is 6-3...this is his first car. Dont want to get too crazy.

How big of rims and tires? He wants black rims....Can anyone suggest good tires and rims at a reasonable price?

Are there any other modifications which need to be made in order to incorporate the larger wheels and rims?

Thanks for your help..sorry for the newbie questions.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

2" is the normal lift
easily fits 35"tires
Old 05-14-2017, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Tereflex Budget Boost is a nice complete kit that won't break the bank and provides 2.5" lift. It's available with new shocks or shock extensions.

17 " wheels are your best choice for price and tire selection. Discount Tire Direct is a very good source.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

2" and 35's on 17" wheels. On sport you want to check the axle gear ratio and if you have 3.21 you will likely want swap to a 4.56 for better performance. less wear and tear on the drivetrain, and better fuel economy. Typically a costly procedure running $1200-$2k for the gears, carrier, and labor. Add another $1500 if you add lockers into the mix which is a good idea if you ever think about going off road with it.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Agree with everything said above. I'd keep it at 2". Once you get up to 3+" it's going to start costing more as additional components will require attention. Keep in mind that depending on what springs you get and additional weight you may or may not have added to the jeep (bumpers, winch, etc.), you could likely achieve more lift than you think. Just because you buy a 2.5" spring doesn't mean you're going to see exactly 2.5" of actual lift.

In regards to wheels, look for something with 4.5" back spacing so you won't have to run spacers. Tons of wheels out there, but the look is all subjective. Also, many of the hybrid tires on the market are really nice these days. They offer more of an MT look without sacrificing all the AT on-road performance. The Nitto Ridge Grapplers are getting a lot of love recently.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good 2.5in lift will allow for 37in tires. as long as you trim your pinch seams you shouldn't get any rub.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default what do you think about these rims

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
The Tereflex Budget Boost is a nice complete kit that won't break the bank and provides 2.5" lift. It's available with new shocks or shock extensions.

17 " wheels are your best choice for price and tire selection. Discount Tire Direct is a very good source.

Thanks for the feedback. So my son has decided that he loves these rims...

[h=1]ULTRA MOTORSPORTS 203 HUNTER GLOSS BLACK WITH MILLED ACCENTS AND CLEAR COAT[/h]
What do you think? As mentioned I dont think he will ver purposely do any offroading.....can you suggest any tires to match up with these rims? THANKS
Old 05-24-2017, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default rims? tires?

Originally Posted by Bradmiq
A good 2.5in lift will allow for 37in tires. as long as you trim your pinch seams you shouldn't get any rub.

ULTRA MOTORSPORTS 203 HUNTER GLOSS BLACK WITH MILLED ACCENTS AND CLEAR COAT

What do you think? As mentioned I dont think he will ver purposely do any offroading.....can you suggest any tires to match up with these rims? THANKS
Old 05-24-2017, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default rims and tires

Originally Posted by Bradmiq

ULTRA MOTORSPORTS 203 HUNTER GLOSS BLACK WITH MILLED ACCENTS AND CLEAR COAT

Old 05-24-2017, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default rims and tires

Originally Posted by resharp001
Agree with everything said above. I'd keep it at 2". Once you get up to 3+" it's going to start costing more as additional components will require attention. Keep in mind that depending on what springs you get and additional weight you may or may not have added to the jeep (bumpers, winch, etc.), you could likely achieve more lift than you think. Just because you buy a 2.5" spring doesn't mean you're going to see exactly 2.5" of actual lift.

In regards to wheels, look for something with 4.5" back spacing so you won't have to run spacers. Tons of wheels out there, but the look is all subjective. Also, many of the hybrid tires on the market are really nice these days. They offer more of an MT look without sacrificing all the AT on-road performance. The Nitto Ridge Grapplers are getting a lot of love recently.

[h=1]ULTRA MOTORSPORTS 203 HUNTER GLOSS BLACK WITH MILLED ACCENTS AND CLEAR COAT[/h]

Quick Reply: Basic Advice.....