Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bedliner paint job

Old 10-06-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bedliner paint job

So I was walking lit of a store the other day and stumbled upon a JK that had been covered from top to bottom (basically replaced the paint job) with bed liner. It actually looked pretty good and you can tell it was professionally done by the prep and detail that was taken in doing the job. I wish I had taken a pic.

Have any of you seen this or done this? Any idea on where this can be done in Texas? Any idea how much this would cost? Worth it?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've seen that before. It looks good because the texture of the bed lining material hides a lot of ills. You would just have to get the prep right for maximum adhesion and you could do it in your back yard. My concern with this would be that the texture collects a lot of dirt. This will require real scrubbing to get clean on a regular basis.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

What about extra weight....It is estimated that the average bed liner is 1/4'' thick and Line-X weighs 1.4#'s per sqft at 1/4'' thick. I would estimate that coating the interior and exterior of a JKU would add 200+ pounds. With sagging suspensions and poor gas mileage every pound counts to most Jeepers, but I am sure some of y'all carry around 200#'s worth of junk at all times

Also, lets not forget that most bedliners are aromatic, meaning they will chalk ad fade in the sunlight. Therefore, the bedliner would have to be top-coated with an automotive grade polyurethane to prevent discoloration.

Yes it would be very low maintenance and look awesome, but with a sluggish motor is 200 #'s worth it?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

That was my first thought. However, i don't think they covered the interior, just the exterior. Thats still 100 unnecessary lbs if your calculations are correct. Anyway, it was just something I found interesting. I might give it a shot but I'll do the test run on the hard top and see how that pans out first. I understand you can also add color to the liner? That may also open up a few avenues.

Quick Reply: Bedliner paint job