Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Before You Sell/Trade-in Your JK ...

Old 11-02-2014, 08:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts
Default Before You Sell/Trade-in Your JK ...

My Jeep has been down for a couple weeks due to a cracked housing on the transmission. Don't ask; wasn't my fault--let's just say it happened and be done with that. Will have it back up and running in the near future--along with a few other repairs such as a new rear main engine seal that was leaking, a clutch pedal that was creaking, a new TOB (because the current one has 50K miles), and a 4WD light that's been stuck on for the past year or so.

But, that's not what this post is about. Rather, this post is for those of you who bought a JK and are now thinking of selling or trading it in. Need better gas mileage, too much risk of DW, wife doesn't like it (sick the kids on her!), just not your thang, or whatever sick puppy reason you have. If you're one of these people, this is a test to determine if you're really a Jeep person at heart.

Talk to a friend with a vehicle similar to the one you plan to replace your Jeep with. It doesn't have to be the same model--just something with similar performance, size and features. Tell him you'd like to swap vehicles for a week. Unless you're swapping your '07 JK for a 2015 Vette ZO6, he'll probably jump at the chance to spend a week cruising to work, the malls, etc, in your Jeep (probably a good idea to set limits about that off-road stuff, LOL). Make certain that the vehicle has an auto if your new one will be an auto, or manual if not. That's really important to get the best idea for what it's like to drive your next "dream" vehicle.

Anyway, I've essentially been doing this because my Jeep (mentioned above) can't be driven right now. A friend has loaned me a Toyota pick-up truck. An auto (I have always driven manuals). And I'm here to tell you that it sucks to not be in a Jeep. I miss driving mine every time I pass a Jeep and I want to wave. I hate that no one ... absolutely no one, zero, nada, zip ... takes even so much as a passing glance at me as I drive by. I'm a big nobody.

This is an entirely different experience than when driving my Jeep. People look; nay they stare and they point and they gawk. I enjoy the heck out of the wave (and don't get worked up if they don't return it--I enjoyed giving them one anyway). It's a manual which is so much fun to drive (how can anyone possibly enjoy driving an auto, they are soooo bore-ing!).

Anyway, if after the week you still want to get rid of the Jeep, then by all means do so. You won't be crawling back in a year wanting a new Jeep because you never really were a Jeeper. But, I'll bet that more than a few of you out there will decide to keep your Jeep. And don't be surprised if that fellow you loaned your Jeep to doesn't end up getting one in the near future, too!
Old 11-02-2014, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My jeep has been in the shop since last Wednesday so I'm borrowing my buddies 05 Silverado. Nothing against Chevy's or trucks, but I would take my jk any day of the week.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Since I got my rubi jk I had problem from day one when it was fixed the problems never happen again, finnaly I went off roading last time I got stuck in some deep water and the intake was still above the water anyhow water somehow made it in to my oil and my wareanty was a bust traided it in for a rubiX and got a big hit and this offroading I was helping a guy out so it hurts even more
Old 11-02-2014, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
My Jeep has been down for a couple weeks due to a cracked housing on the transmission. Don't ask; wasn't my fault--let's just say it happened and be done with that. Will have it back up and running in the near future--along with a few other repairs such as a new rear main engine seal that was leaking, a clutch pedal that was creaking, a new TOB (because the current one has 50K miles), and a 4WD light that's been stuck on for the past year or so.

But, that's not what this post is about. Rather, this post is for those of you who bought a JK and are now thinking of selling or trading it in. Need better gas mileage, too much risk of DW, wife doesn't like it (sick the kids on her!), just not your thang, or whatever sick puppy reason you have. If you're one of these people, this is a test to determine if you're really a Jeep person at heart.

Talk to a friend with a vehicle similar to the one you plan to replace your Jeep with. It doesn't have to be the same model--just something with similar performance, size and features. Tell him you'd like to swap vehicles for a week. Unless you're swapping your '07 JK for a 2015 Vette ZO6, he'll probably jump at the chance to spend a week cruising to work, the malls, etc, in your Jeep (probably a good idea to set limits about that off-road stuff, LOL). Make certain that the vehicle has an auto if your new one will be an auto, or manual if not. That's really important to get the best idea for what it's like to drive your next "dream" vehicle.

Anyway, I've essentially been doing this because my Jeep (mentioned above) can't be driven right now. A friend has loaned me a Toyota pick-up truck. An auto (I have always driven manuals). And I'm here to tell you that it sucks to not be in a Jeep. I miss driving mine every time I pass a Jeep and I want to wave. I hate that no one ... absolutely no one, zero, nada, zip ... takes even so much as a passing glance at me as I drive by. I'm a big nobody.

This is an entirely different experience than when driving my Jeep. People look; nay they stare and they point and they gawk. I enjoy the heck out of the wave (and don't get worked up if they don't return it--I enjoyed giving them one anyway). It's a manual which is so much fun to drive (how can anyone possibly enjoy driving an auto, they are soooo bore-ing!).

Anyway, if after the week you still want to get rid of the Jeep, then by all means do so. You won't be crawling back in a year wanting a new Jeep because you never really were a Jeeper. But, I'll bet that more than a few of you out there will decide to keep your Jeep. And don't be surprised if that fellow you loaned your Jeep to doesn't end up getting one in the near future, too!
I sold my 93 YJ in 2001, and I suffered immensely until I bought my 08 JK in late 07. I'll never do that kind of thing again. The Jeep only goes if there is another waiting in the wings. With the lifetime powertrain warranty, that may be a good, long time. The JK only has 86k miles on it as I type this. Anytime I am not driving it, I'm wishing I was.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm having to drive my GFs Rav4 while I'm repairing my front axle, life without my Jeep sucks
Old 11-03-2014, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only reason I would sell my Jeep is to get another Jeep.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though I have no intentions of selling the Jeep, I did have full intention of giving it to my daughter when she turned 16. I have since changed my mind. I will keep it and get her either her own jeep or something else that she wants. Additionally, I travel every week, often hitting a few cities every week, with multiple flights in between. With that said, I end up in a different rental car about every day or so. 2-3 different cars a week. Even after 5 years of this and driving every car imaginable, I still look forward to my return trip home and driving my JKUR. Hell, the other day, I gave it the "once a year" detailing treatment and went for a drive just because I wanted to.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

"...you never really were a Jeeper..."? Metallica put it best; "you label me, I'll label you". I'm just the opposite, I don't have any loyalty to any manufacturer, so far I've always bought American, but maybe not next time. I don't consider my 11' JKUR anything special, though it is great offroad, but pretty poor on-road, and sucks more gas than a full size truck. I also don't want any unecessary attention from anyone; either people in general or LEOs or bad guys, my JK is about as low profile as it can be, all black. Whatever I buy next will be the best vehicle for me, not based on some miss-guided sense of loyalty to a manufacturer that couldn't care less about me.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by navin r
"...you never really were a Jeeper..."? Metallica put it best; "you label me, I'll label you". I'm just the opposite, I don't have any loyalty to any manufacturer, so far I've always bought American, but maybe not next time. I don't consider my 11' JKUR anything special, though it is great offroad, but pretty poor on-road, and sucks more gas than a full size truck. I also don't want any unecessary attention from anyone; either people in general or LEOs or bad guys, my JK is about as low profile as it can be, all black. Whatever I buy next will be the best vehicle for me, not based on some miss-guided sense of loyalty to a manufacturer that couldn't care less about me.

I don't think it really has anything to do with brand loyalty, whether misguided or not. I think many, if not most, of us on the forum are aware of the short comings of Chrysler. That is part of why there is such a big aftermarket. If they were perfect from the factory we wouldn't need/want to mod them out.

While I never worried about my old XJ, it went everywhere, I put it through hell and it always took it, I worry about my JK, it feels more fragile (if nothing else the sheet metal is insanely thin), but I'm sure eventually it will have proven itself as well. There is just something about driving a Jeep that is a ton of fun. The next version of the Wrangler might turn out to be complete crap. Whether it does or not I will probably just keep driving the JK I have until the wheels fall off (like I did with the XJ).

I spend a ton of my free time either on the forums, or on Northridge4X4.com, or Quadratec.com, or other Jeep related sites, it probably isn't healthy, but some us, myself included, can be a bit obsessive about our Jeeps, others are not.

To each their own.

Happy Jeeping.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by navin r
... Whatever I buy next will be the best vehicle for me ....
As well it should be. But I've been around this forum long enough (over seven years now) to see folks get rid of their Jeeps, then come back when they missed it too much--it really was the best vehicle for them after all. Not all, certainly. But a very large number of them. Which is why I wrote up my suggested self-test for anyone contemplating getting rid of their Jeep.

Quick Reply: Before You Sell/Trade-in Your JK ...