Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best Airfilter for New Pentastar Engine?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlupacchino
I am just looking for a base filter, nothing crazy. Don't want increased noise, or anything. The base K&N filter is $70, if it offers no real advantage of any kind over the mopar for ~ $30 then I am not interested. If it will last xtimes as long, or will filter better, etc. then I may be more inclined to spring for it.

If I could gain even half a MPG I would consider paying for the more expensive $200+ filters, as I do a lot of driving, and that would add up. But if the $300 K&N doesn't improve MPG any over the base $70 unit, then I see no point to it. I could care less about the noise.

Oh I gotcha. You had mentioned "significant" gains, so I was just letting you know that you would be disappointed. I'm not saying these filters won't do anything, but it won't feel like a racecar, haha.

If you can isolate the filter and get better air to it, you're going to feel a bit of gain. And with that, you may see MPG come up since you are getting a better power to weight ratio. A half mile per gallon is realistic, but you won't see like.... five MPG better.

Again, this is just my personal real world experience.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you notice any MPG or performance changes from the base K&N filter?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Did you notice any MPG or performance changes from the base K&N filter?

To be honest.... and I'm sure I'll have a bunch of people tell me I don't know what I'm talking about..... but I felt a bit of a drop power and MPG. I attribute that to the fact that the stock dryflow filter will let more air through than a cloth and oil filter. But I liked knowing that the K&N will block more dust particles than a stock filter.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm, that's interesting! I did not expect that to be the case. I wonder if only the higher prices / larger K&N filters will improve MPG or power then?

Dust is not a concern of mine. Did the base filter do anything to the noise?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

Hmmm, that's interesting! I did not expect that to be the case. I wonder if only the higher prices / larger K&N filters will improve MPG or power then?

Dust is not a concern of mine. Did the base filter do anything to the noise?
Very slight, and only at higher RPM. It will be a little deeper when you're really on the gas.

But as someone mentioned before, the K&N filter is supposed to last forever with proper maintenance. I'm not saying anything bad about the company or their products, but I think you will see more gains from an intake system vs a drop in filter. But the stock filter system is really well designed to keep stuff out
Old 01-07-2014, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

If an intake system will increase my MPG by even .5, I would consider purchasing it.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

If an intake system will increase my MPG by even .5, I would consider purchasing it.

Most should! But I would love to see some other people chime in with their experiences as well. I'm just one person who can have completely different results than the next person.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

The main thing I am worried about when upgrading to a CAI is water or mud getting in there with it being all open.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Not sure if this helps any, but this is my .02. I've had all different kinds of Jeeps and SUVs and tried all kinds of different filters. I started with K&N back when I was in high school and was always very happy with them, so I tend to stick with them. Currently I have a K&N Series 63 in my '12 JK and I do like it a lot. It was decently priced and extremely easy to install. For those concerned, it's also sealed up extremely well to prevent mud, sand, and other debris, etc from getting into it. Whether or not it's protected better than a completely sealed stock airbox is a whole other argument.

It's hard to say whether or not I noticed a power or MPG gain with the K&N because #1: I don't have an aftermarket exhaust (yet) and #2: I put on 35" tires after the K&N so obviously that didn't help MPG any lol Personally I think it's worth the money to spend if you're going to do other "performance" upgrades down the road. Basic engine principles = more air in and more air out (within limits obviously) is almost always going to make the motor run better and I do notice that with just the K&N.

However, I also have done a basic drop-in K&N air filter (into the stock airbox) on 3 different SUVs and the simple fact that you will never have to replace it justifies the cost to me if you're going to go that route. They're extremely easy to clean and from what I understand, if you EVER have an issue with it, K&N will replace it for free (million mile warranty). So if you factor in how much you're going to spend over time replacing basic OEM paper air filters, a more expensive drop-in that lasts "forever" is definitely worth it. Hope this helped a little...but go with the K&N Series 63 CAI kit, you'll like it!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:16 PM
JK Junkie

I've got the k&n drop in and I'm not sure I would do it again. I drive quite a bit so I went with the k&n for the million mile guarantee. It will last, no doubt there, but since it does pick up everything I end up cleaning it more often than I thought I would. I recently gave up the ghost on oiling it. It's probably about the same as any other dry flow filter now but it won't grab the microscopic dust particles without the oil. I grab more bugs than dust so I decided I should be ok.

Quick Reply: Best Airfilter for New Pentastar Engine?