Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best Bike rack - Trailer hitch or Spare tire?

Old 04-14-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Bike rack - Trailer hitch or Spare tire?

I am looking at buying a bike rack to carry 2-4 bikes.

What bike rack would you guys/gals recommend?

One that hooks up to the hitch or to the spare tire?

Thanx
Old 04-14-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Junkie

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ight=bike+rack
Old 04-14-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

I prefer hitch racks. I don't like adding that much weight to the spare tire, especially if you already have larger tires than stock.
Check out the link kntr put up. It's a good one.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

I just installed the Thule 964 Revolver on my '08 Wrangler Unlimited (4-door) Sahara.

I was concerned about the "fit" from all the posts about racks not clearing the spare tire, but this rack fits PERFECTLY...without any hitch extensions.

I visited a local bike store to talk about racks that would fit a Wrangler (actually was interested in the Saris T-Rax Pro and Thule 964 Revolver before walking in there) and they happened to have the Thule 964 displayed and put together already. I figured we'd solve this "does it fit on a Wrangler or not" problem real quick, so I asked the guy to bring it outside and slide it into my hitch receiver to check it out.

We slid it in, lined it up and tightened it up and it fit perfectly. Problem solved.

It clears the stock 18" spare AND you can lower/raise the two bars that the bikes sit on down (in its folded position) and back up again (in its "bike holding" position) without making contact with the spare tire. In it's up position and when it's tighted to the hitch receiver, you have clearance about the size of the thickness of a pencil between the tire and the closest part of the rack.

Yes, this rack is pricey at around $400...but I decided on it and against the Saris because...1) I now had first-hand evidence that the Thule 964 fit my Jeep Wrangler, 2) I've owned other Thule racks and I know they're solid and have a good reputation...I actually know nothing about Saris and would have been taking a leap of faith in the area of quality/build, etc.. The Thule is solid with very little "give", 3) I ski in the winter, so I left open the option of adding on when the time comes, whereas Saris doesn't offer an add-on/attachment like that, 4) the swingout feature on the Thule is optimal for me and my family of 4...I know there will be times where my wife, kids and I will be driving somewhere to go bike riding and we'll need to stop somewhere, for some reason, and someone will need to get something out of the back and we'll be able to easily access the cargo area without having to remove the bikes, 5) the Saris sticks out an extra 5-6" from the receiver, which is good because it will give you MORE clearance from your spare tire if you need it, but I ultimately looked at that as a negative because I want my rack to be optimal on other vehicles too. For example, my wife drives a Toyota Sienna minivan...and if she ever wanted to go bike riding with or without the kids and knew she wouldn't have access to my Jeep, the Saris would (appear to) be sticking out sooo much further on a non-Jeep vehicle because of that extra clearance. It would still function just fine, but that was more of an aesthetic concern for me, 6) it fits!

That's it. I wanted to post this and help anyone out there who is on the same quest that I was just on.

Good luck and good riding!

Mike
Old 04-23-2008, 09:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up I love mine! Sparemount

I just installed mine last weekend, I love it. It's incredibly sturdy, when I shake the rack the entire vehicle shakes. THIS RACK WILL NOT WORK IF YOU INCREASE YOUR TIRE SIZE!

Here is what I got.

Thule Spare Me Spare Tire 2 Bike Carrier $143.95 on sale.

I had to get 2 - Easy-Out Bike Adapter for Women's / Alternative Frames @ 24.95 each. If you spend $150, you get free shipping. I did! Shipping was very fast as well.

I love this rack and the best part; I can open my gate all the way with both bikes on it. Try doing that with a hitch-mount.....

Here is the link for the rack. They have a great video showing how to install it, use the lock, add bikes, etc. Check it out!

hxxp://www.etrailer.com/pc-brstr~TH963.htm

Last edited by JackMac4; 04-24-2008 at 04:41 AM. Reason: please do not post direct links to non-sponsors
Old 04-24-2008, 03:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also bought the Thule 963 Spare Me. It works great for 2 bikes. I got a great deal on it too, $108 + shipping = $122. Check out this web site for whatever rack you are looking for. They are going out of business, so there prices are low.

hxxp://www.rack-city.com/index.php

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JackMac4; 04-24-2008 at 04:42 AM. Reason: please do not post direct links to non-sponsors
Old 04-24-2008, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

My old fortier fits just fine.
Yet another suv for this 90 buck ,3 bike unit to work with.

and here it a drawtite 11" extension added.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Trailer, if you have the receiver. I've heard horror sotries about sway when your using an extension. I went with a raxter rack myself, but it's only for a single bike, though they have racks for up to four bikes.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any rack that lets you open the door easy its a good one in my book. I have have both and Like the tire mounts way better because they allow for easy access to the rear of the jeep

Quick Reply: Best Bike rack - Trailer hitch or Spare tire?