Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best JK for commuting?

Old 01-25-2012, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2 door is much more fun to drive I have driven both the 4 door is fun but not nearly as nimble to drive as the 2 door plus 400 pounds lighter and with the 6 speed manual u will have tons of fun shifting gears and feeling completely in control vs the auto even though has improved not nearly as fun to drive and 2 door easier to take the top down tons of fun either way you will have tons of fun
Old 01-25-2012, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Hey Man
I am actually doing exactly what you have described. 2007 Jeep Wrangler X ( 2 door ), 4.10 gears, 16" OEM wheels and 245/75r16 Goodyear Duratrec's tires. I travel 60ish miles per day and get about 14mpg. This means that you will fill your tank every 4 days ( 1/4 tank per day ). The 012 will not have the 4.10 gears. So that will help some. And if you stay with the 225 tires, then that will help too. You could still change the 225 OEM tires to something that looks better like the Duratrecs. And you may be able to get 5 days on one tank. I'm pretty sure that te OEM gear-set will provide the best mpg. So changing any part of that gear-set will only decrease your mpg.

You only get 14 mpg? I have an Unlimited on 35s and some armor and I do 15-17mpg. Are you hitting a lot of hills?

Also, to the OP; I got around 18.5 mpg consistently when my 2011 JK Unlimited was stock. That was with the 255s on it and 3.73 gearing. My ex GF had a two door and got the same mpg as me (actually less because she drives like an asshole haha)
Old 01-25-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

It really comes down to what you want.... I drive a 4 door just cause I have lazy friends and they really like riding in the jeep plus I like watching them try to get my rig. It's funny watching regards in skinny jeans ( my kids ) try to jump in a lifted jeep. :roflmao:
Old 01-25-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

This is where my 2WD actually comes in handy - my '08 JKU is my DD, and I'm consistently getting 19-20MPG. YMMV (literally!)

Agree on the 4-door, the extra room is worth it IMHO.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigcanoe
Hmm...so its cheaper to have a second car than to drive the JK? Thats insane! Plus, your not driving the car you want!
You will save ALOT of money and be happier.
1. You can get the 2 door and not worry about space since you have the 4 door camry beater.
2. You can get an auto camry and still get a manual JK for fun.
3. It makes you appreciate the Jeep more when weekends come around and you get to drive it.
4. You can still drive the Jeep on really nice days with no top or foul weather like snow.
5. You save money on insurance because you can list the JK as a limited use vehical and beater as regular car. (ie Listing my 99 Camry as primary car and Jeep as limited use, saves me 42 dollars a month over than only insuring my jeep)
6. Beater gets approx twice the mpg and 60 a day would save you approx 10-12 dollars every day in gas. That adds up to about 2000 dollars a year (hence beater pays itself off).
7. Less miles on Jeep increased value when you go to sell.
8. You have a spare car for times when your jeep is inop (like installing a lift, axels, ect)
9. When you are tired of the beater, you can usually turn around and sell it for whatever you paid.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Maybe I can offer some insight here. I have both a 2011 2dr stick and a 2011 4dr auto. The 2dr is what I drive every day it is a more traditional Jeep for me nimble, stick shift, choppy ride, great manuverablity and a blast to drive. That being said the 4 dr rides much smoother on the highway more comfortable and less choppy on bumps. We use it for trips plus the extra room comes in handy. You said you had kids too so I would definately get the 4dr for that reason. If you put 4 people in the 2dr you only have the space behind the rear seat so a weekender gets dificult without a trailer or cargo rack. This choice will be more suv like with the benifit of being a Jeep wrangler. You also said you wont do much wheeling so the longer wheelbase would not be much of an issue. The 4dr highspots much easier than the 2dr at stock ride heights. This can be corected with bigger tires and a small lift. The 4 dr does feel less tippy of road too due to the extra weight and longer wheelbase. As for the stick or auto decision that is up to you unless you are in stop and go traffic every day either would be a good choice. I am assuming you are getting a 2012? If you are considering a 2011 i would go with the stick the auto downshifts alot on hills revving the engine alot. The 2012 has a five spped auto and ability to select a gear too much better choice and of course more power and better mpg (suposedly )
Old 01-25-2012, 06:36 AM
JK Junkie

I've got 3.21 gears in my '08 JKU Manual, and get 20+ mpg. I love all the cargo space and room for friends, dogs, climbing gear, everything.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by B 1000
You only get 14 mpg? I have an Unlimited on 35s and some armor and I do 15-17mpg. Are you hitting a lot of hills?
Yep. Bone stock ( except for changing my 225 tires for 245 tires ).
60 miles per day
4 days per tank
240 miles traveled / 18 gal tank = 13.33 miles per gal.

It has been that way since the day I got her.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 01-25-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The ///Man
I doubt you drive to empty though, I usually fill up with 16.xx gallons.
You are correct. There is always some in the tank. But the Low Fuel Light is usually on. So probably not much differance. And I do not keep up with actual milage. As you see above. I base my mpg on daily usage. I'm afraid that if I get down to counting, I might get skerd.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Just like Delux2769, I CONSISTENTLY get 20-21 mpg in mixed driving. 2010 2dr, 6 speed, 3.21 ratio.
Ordered a Superchips Flashpaq yesterday. Hope to increase power and get better throttle response, but keep the MPG...

Quick Reply: Best JK for commuting?