Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best JK for commuting?

Old 01-25-2012, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best JK for commuting?

I can only justify and afford one car, and I want that car to be a JK I drive 60 miles round trip to work daily, and some on the weekends for errands and fun. My commute is mostly at 65 (posted) highway. There are some gentle gradual hills, but nothing big. Since I live in NC I think the JK would be great, driving top down a lot of the year. That all said...I am looking at 2012 2 door JK with 6 speed manual, soft top (or dual tops). What gearing should I get? Does 2 vs 4 door, manual vs automatic matter much on the highway mpg? I dont plan on doing any hardcore offroading, but I do want to be able to at least take it down a rough gravel path now and then.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 AM
JK Freak

I would go Automatic
Old 01-25-2012, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would go 4 door. You will regret getting a 2 door, not enough space.

As far as automatic vs manual its all really a personal preference. If you are not really going to be in rush hour traffic get the manual if that's your first choice. I love feeling in control driving manual.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

90% of the time it will be just me. 10% of the time will be weekend errands, etc when the kids (teenage boys) pile in.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

Sometimes the gearing in the automatics make them better at highway mpg, is that the case here, or is the gearing the same either way?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcanoe
I can only justify and afford one car, and I want that car to be a JK I drive 60 miles round trip to work daily, and some on the weekends for errands and fun. My commute is mostly at 65 (posted) highway. There are some gentle gradual hills, but nothing big. Since I live in NC I think the JK would be great, driving top down a lot of the year. That all said...I am looking at 2012 2 door JK with 6 speed manual, soft top (or dual tops). What gearing should I get? Does 2 vs 4 door, manual vs automatic matter much on the highway mpg? I dont plan on doing any hardcore offroading, but I do want to be able to at least take it down a rough gravel path now and then.
Hey Man
I am actually doing exactly what you have described. 2007 Jeep Wrangler X ( 2 door ), 4.10 gears, 16" OEM wheels and 245/75r16 Goodyear Duratrec's tires. I travel 60ish miles per day and get about 14mpg. This means that you will fill your tank every 4 days ( 1/4 tank per day ). The 012 will not have the 4.10 gears. So that will help some. And if you stay with the 225 tires, then that will help too. You could still change the 225 OEM tires to something that looks better like the Duratrecs. And you may be able to get 5 days on one tank. I'm pretty sure that te OEM gear-set will provide the best mpg. So changing any part of that gear-set will only decrease your mpg.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JKs suck for commuting. Best thing to do is buy the JK then leave it at home. Then go buy an automatic 99 Camry on Craigslist for 2k. It will pay itself off in no time.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:49 AM
JK Newbie

Hmm...so its cheaper to have a second car than to drive the JK? Thats insane! Plus, your not driving the car you want!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcanoe
Hmm...so its cheaper to have a second car than to drive the JK? Thats insane! Plus, your not driving the car you want!
Ya. Pay to play. I have a motorcycle that I use for commuting in fair weather. I have had the Jeep since new. It now has 80K miles. I have had the bike since new also ( 2008 ) and it has 25K miles. So that would have been added to the Jeep.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea I agree that a 4 door would be better, especially of this is your only vehicle. I have 2 door and it's my daily driver and now I'm looking for a 4 door. As far as transmissions, if you have moderate to heavy traffic where it's a lot of stop and go then you will hate the manual. That being said I have a manual and I love it because i feel it's more traditional but I have nothing against a auto jeep.
Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Best JK for commuting?