Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best soft top for the money? Stock? Aftermarket? Opinions greatly appreciated..

Old 03-15-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best soft top for the money? Stock? Aftermarket? Opinions greatly appreciated..

I am about to place an order for a 2012 Rubicon and considering the Dual Tops option. Just curios if it's better to buy the hard top and go aftermarket for the soft top or get the stock one. It's about $1500 for the dual top option and only $700 for the hardtop only. Is there a benefit to stock vs. aftermarket or vice versa? Easy of use or durability? Any advice is greatly appreciated! I saw a full top on sale on sale online for about $800 after instant rebate today but not sure of the quality.. Thanks!

Last edited by Ronstar83; 03-15-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the hardtop from the factory, it's cheaper than you can buy even a used top and the rear wiper is already there. Then I bought a new Trektop NX for just about what used soft tops were going for around here. It worked out great for me.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

I guess my question is have the aftermarket companies done anything to make the newer soft tops any easier to put up and down or any awesome features that would make them better than stock? If not I would likely go with the dual top from factory for the additional $700.. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by revvinkevin
I got the hardtop from the factory, it's cheaper than you can buy even a used top and the rear wiper is already there. Then I bought a new Trektop NX for just about what used soft tops were going for around here. It worked out great for me.
I did the exact same thing. No cumbersome framework to deal with. And got a hell of a good price and free shipping with it. The hardtop will be for winter.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$700 for the soft top is a fairly good price.....
Depends if you like the trek top look..... I don't so I went factory myself. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ronstar83
I guess my question is have the aftermarket companies done anything to make the newer soft tops any easier to put up and down or any awesome features that would make them better than stock? If not I would likely go with the dual top from factory for the additional $700.. Thanks!

I would say the benefit of going with your own soft top is that you can pick style and color. There are companies that make great quality soft tops out there (Off Road Heros, etc) but you may end up paying a bit more.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got just the factory hard top and ten went with a Bestop Supertop NX and I love it. Back windows are tinted and will give it a good look once I get new wheels and tires next month.

Quick Reply: Best soft top for the money? Stock? Aftermarket? Opinions greatly appreciated..