Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best way to de-chrome my Jeep

Old 03-16-2008, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to de-chrome my Jeep

So I think I got a little crazy with the chrome on my Jeep and now I'm heavily debating on changing my 4 KC hilites to black ones, changing my tail light guards to black, and down the line changing my mopar side steps to black.

The cost of 4 new Hilites in black and tail light guard is about $400 bucks and change. Hilites have a little bit of salt damage on the actual light guard from our very bad winter here, but the back of the them and the actual lights are fine. The tail light guards have the same problem but its only on one side. What do you guys think is the most cost effective way to do this? Could I sell the Hilites without the guards on the front of them? I'm thinking about selling them all at a discounted price because of the damage, even though the damage is minimal on certain items, no one wants to pay a descent price for something that isn't perfect. What do you guys think?
Old 03-16-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think you should just sell it to me for a rediculously cheap price!

You asked ...I told!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:27 PM
JK Newbie

Just , but if you can take things and get them dipped in chrome plated then there's gotta be a process to remove it. Either go to your local metal plater, auto body or powder coater and see about getting the chrome stripped either chemically, abrasives or blasted and then powder coated black. It's worth looking into if your willing to lose a couple hundred in the sale and then spend several hundred to replace
Old 03-17-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

Talking two words

Spray paint.... Or is that one word?

Anyways, clean 'em up, hit 'em with some sand paper, a coat or two of metal primer, and hit 'em with another coat or two of a flat black.... Same for your sidesteps... Primer, 6ish bucks, Sp, 6ish bucks, sandpaper, cheap, hour or two of work.......

Chrome looks nasty.

Why waste 400 bucks on new crap, when your old stuff just needs some work?
Old 03-17-2008, 07:32 AM
JK Junkie

Have em sprayed in Line X.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by The_Captain
Spray paint.... Or is that one word?

Anyways, clean 'em up, hit 'em with some sand paper, a coat or two of metal primer, and hit 'em with another coat or two of a flat black.... Same for your sidesteps... Primer, 6ish bucks, Sp, 6ish bucks, sandpaper, cheap, hour or two of work.......

Chrome looks nasty.

Why waste 400 bucks on new crap, when your old stuff just needs some work?
I agree with The_Captain.

But if you really want to sell your stuff and buy new, post it on the forum first, I'd bet it's all gone within hours
Old 03-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hypertech Representative

Look into getting the peices powder coated/ painted. I know most custom shops around here have guy that they use to paint chrome wheels.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm this is becoming a very tough decision. I'm leaning away from painting them cause I'm afraid that six months from now I'm gonna have to deal with them chipping and repainting and all that kinda crap. I'm just gonna start the slow process of ordering black ones and selling the chrome ones. Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Best way to de-chrome my Jeep