Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

BFGOODRICH KM tire review

Old 09-19-2009, 08:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFGOODRICH KM tire review

bought my wrangler on LT255 75 R17 BFGOODRICH Mud Terrain KMs on Rubicon rims and with the Rubicon suspension in it. Unfortunately with college and stuff, i dont go wheeling as much as id like, but i DO GO! OH HELLS YEA! how are the tires on/off road? how do they wear? when should i rotate them? any other things u can suggest
Old 09-19-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Freak

They are good tires , I have 35000 on mine they are worn but I still wheel...lol...they are good in mud, snow and definatley good on the rocks..i will go to either the KM 2 or the pro comp xtreme terrain next but for stock tires the KM's are great
Old 09-19-2009, 08:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattyhfd
bought my wrangler on LT255 75 R17 BFGOODRICH Mud Terrain KMs on Rubicon rims and with the Rubicon suspension in it. Unfortunately with college and stuff, i dont go wheeling as much as id like, but i DO GO! OH HELLS YEA! how are the tires on/off road? how do they wear? when should i rotate them? any other things u can suggest

They chunk very easily on rocks and do not have very durable sidewalls (both unlike the new KM). I am not impressed with them , I do a good amount of wheeling on rocks and at 6000 miles i'm looking for a tire that will hold up better. One has two plugs in the sidewall, other has a good sidewall gash ("Spare").

Not trying to freak you out or anything, but you do need to be fairly cautious. Oh and they cake with mud unless you keep the wheel speed up lol
Old 09-19-2009, 10:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been fairly impressed with mine overall. However, I should preface that as I expected them to be horrible as DD tires. I was never a fan of my BFG A/Ts and this is my first M/T on a DD.

They aren't nearly as scary in the rain as I thought they'd be, they get the job done, and they're wearing better than I expected. They have gotten much louder than new, and much louder than I thought they'd be, even with rotating them in a 5 wheel rotation every 3000 miles.

Off the pavement they've been great, but I expected that given that I've gotten by with A/Ts before now. I suspect that they will be lacking in the snow compared to the quality A/Ts I've become used to. I'll find out next month on that matter, but I expect to be disappointed.

At 15k miles, they're wearing decently, but I'm doing a 5 wheel rotation, rotating them every 5k, and not abusing them so I'm hoping they wear well. I still am disappointed at how loud they are getting. I also should expand that they are not overly impressive in the rain, I just haven't felt like they are horrible in the rain like I suspected they might be. They're actually better than some of the poor quality A/Ts I've run in the past. As far as DD performance, they're about on par to my experience with BFG A/Ts. Which I should provide that I was never very impressed with their rain performance. Once again, I haven't had them in the snow yet and the BFG's did pretty well there. Almost as good as my Revos did, which were the best tires I've ever owned.

That all being said, I will more than likely be replacing them with Duratracs. This is due to their snow and rain performance while still being a durable enough tire to meet my needs.

Last edited by Atl JK; 09-21-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Atl JK
I've been fairly impressed with mine overall. However, I should preface that as I expected them to be horrible as DD tires. I was never a fan of my BFG A/Ts and this is my first M/T on a DD.

They aren't nearly as scary in the rain as I thought they'd be, they get the job done, and they're wearing better than I expected. They have gotten much louder than new, and much louder than I thought they'd be, even with rotating them in a 5 wheel rotation every 3000 miles.

Off the pavement they've been great, but I expected that given that I've gotten by with A/Ts before now. I suspect that they will be lacking in the snow compared to the quality A/Ts I've become used to. I'll find out next month on that matter, but I expect to be disappointed.

At 15k miles, they're wearing decently, but I'm doing a 5 wheel rotation, rotating them every 5k, and not abusing them so I'm hope them were. I still am disappointed at how loud they area. I also should expand that they are not impressive in the rain, I just haven't felt like they are horrible in the rain like I suspected they might be. They're actually better than some of the poor quality A/Ts I've run in the past. As far as DD performance, they're about on par to my experience with BFG A/Ts. Which I should provide that I was never very impressed with their rain performance. Once again, I haven't had them in the snow yet and the BFG's did pretty well there. Almost as good as my Revos did, which were the best tires I've ever owned.

That all being said, I will more than likely be replacing them with Duratracs. This is due to their snow and rain performance while still being a durable enough tire to meet my needs.
Bridgestone Dueler Revo's? If so PM me, i'm looking at putting Revo 2's on my JK and i'd like to get whatever feedback/input that I can on the original revo's as the two tires arent much different.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Adam3612
Bridgestone Dueler Revo's? If so PM me, i'm looking at putting Revo 2's on my JK and i'd like to get whatever feedback/input that I can on the original revo's as the two tires arent much different.
PM sent...

Last edited by Atl JK; 09-20-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Atl JK

At 15k miles, they're wearing decently, but I'm doing a 5 wheel rotation, rotating them every 5k, and not abusing them so I'm hope them were. I still am disappointed at how loud they area. I also should expand that they are not impressive in the rain, I just haven't felt like they are horrible in the rain like I suspected they might be. They're actually better than some of the poor quality A/Ts I've run in the past. As far as DD performance, they're about on par to my experience with BFG A/Ts. Which I should provide that I was never very impressed with their rain performance. Once again, I haven't had them in the snow yet and the BFG's did pretty well there. Almost as good as my Revos did, which were the best tires I've ever owned.

I've got an X and I replaced the SRA's with the KM's after about 15k miles. I've put about 10k miles on them. The only time I ever hear them is the day I do the tire rotation and maybe the next. BUT even then it's VERY minimal. Other than that, I can't hear them with the top up or down, high speeds or low.....
Old 09-21-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

What everyone already said plus I've had no problems with them in the snow at all. Actually I found them quite capable in snowstorms last winter.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have about 15,000 miles on mine and they ok. They are quite which i great for a daily driver and work good in mudd and real good on rocks. However, I will agree with the person who said they chunk out easy. One of my tires is a dedicated spare becuase almost an entire lug was ripped off along with a puncturing the tire and I am running with a plug in one of the others. All the tires have lots of chunks missing from them. I don't wheel very hard most of the wear has come from driving on my farm. I will say that some of roads on my farm would be classified as a class 2 trail.

In summary, if you are going to use them on the road, and lightly on the trail you will probably be happy. If you are going to wheel them hard probably need to find some other tires.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by stlfan06
I've got an X and I replaced the SRA's with the KM's after about 15k miles. I've put about 10k miles on them. The only time I ever hear them is the day I do the tire rotation and maybe the next. BUT even then it's VERY minimal. Other than that, I can't hear them with the top up or down, high speeds or low.....
I'm surprised you could decipher any of that. Holy crap, I must have been drinking when I posted that. I had to go back an edit it so that it makes sense.

They aren't obnoxious or anything, they're just getting a lot louder. Its kind of surprising since I'm rotating them every 3000 miles and trying to take care of them...

Quick Reply: BFGOODRICH KM tire review