Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bowless top for roof rack

Old 08-28-2019, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bowless top for roof rack

So I have actually googled the sh*t out of this but Never really found the right answer. The pics are of my 08 JK. The roof rack came with the jeep (got it used with 46k on it), which was perfect because as you can see I need it for carrying my surfskis and OC1. The jeep came with a hard top that you can see in the first pic however I found a used OEM soft top for $200 and couldn’t resist.

The issue is, this rack has two bolts in the front tubes that need to be unscrewed so that it can fold backwards and then I have to do the balancing act of holding up the rack and pulling back the soft top (not as easy as it was on my previous 98 YJ I had years ago). Getting it back up is even worse (insert joke here). A lot of the time, I take the windows out and ride safari style.

So I was thinking about going bowless. I don’t need the sunrider option seeing as I can’t use it now anyway (easily). It’s either totally up or totally down. Any thoughts on options? I know bowless may take longer to get on and off but if you add the bolting and unbolting time I have to do, it might just be the same.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I found a used Rugged Ridge bowless top for half the price of a new one. Looks like a good top that can be taken off without unbolting the rack to tilt it. Anyone have one? How are they to totally remove? From the video I saw it looks like there are a bunch of straps to undo.

Quick Reply: Bowless top for roof rack