Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Broke 2 Wheel Studs!!!Watch Out

Old 03-20-2012, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke 2 Wheel Studs!!!Watch Out

Hi all, this past sunday I was doing a 4 hour road trip in south georgia. About two hours in my back end started shaking and bouncing very badly. My jeep is always very bouncy on back roads so it took a couple of big jolts for me to realize that something was wrong. I rode it out about 5 miles to the next auto store. When I arrived I checked around the whole vehicle, and found two broken studs on my back left wheel. The remaining 3 where able to come off with my fingers. I almost lost my tire. Anyways I realized that this was from painting my rims the nuts were backing out slightly and these ones just went a little further. After checking the rest all of them were too loose. This is just a heads up for those of you changing or painting your rims make sure to regularly check and re torque them.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you paint your studs and not tape them off?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

No, I took the wheels completely off, but if you paint the spot where the lug nut sits it allows them to loosen, so just check them occasionally.

Quick Reply: Broke 2 Wheel Studs!!!Watch Out