Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

BUG OUT ....Getting the JK ready...

Old 02-23-2012, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepguy553
Here is a quick aerial map of the parishes (counties) that concern me here in northwest Louisiana. I threw this together just as an example. It is formatted as a 12x18" standard military grid map with hatch marks every 1-half-degree of latitude and longitude. I haven't made a grid that shows UTM lines, but that is next on the update list. The imagery is 2010 National Agricultural Imagery Program data. The whole map, when finished, will be a MUCH larger mosaic of the areas in AR, LA, OK, and TX that concern me in the event of a SHTF situation.

Attachment 281149

I plan to complete the mosaic with imagery from all of the surrounding parishes and counties. Other important layers that will eventually be included are:
1.) Roads
2.) Water features (streams, lakes, etc.)
3.) Populated place polygons
4.) Law enforcement stations (state and local)
5.) National/state park and forest boundaries
6.) Military installations
7.) Elevation lines
8.) Mosaics of USGS 7.5 MOA Topographic Quads at 1:24,000 scale

As newer imagery is available the map will be updated to stay as current as possible. I will have at least one copy of this large scale map laminated and included in each of my emergency kits. It might be a good idea to go even smaller on the scale and make what is called a "mapbook" of the aerials on a county/parish scale. I figure that if all else fails and I can't use a GPS because my computer has crapped out AND the Jeep AND the phone GPS units both crap themselves, I can still rely on the old lensatic compass and time-of-day measurements to give me a pretty good fix on where I am and where I want to be.

If anyone out there would be interested in something like this for themselves, let me know. I can make these things all day long...and some of them actually CAN take all day to make. I can make these maps on an "a la carte" basis depending on your location and data availability in that region. I can also include any custom data you may have acquired using your handy-dandy GPS as long as you have accurate coordinates for points. I keep on-hand a pretty good-sized repository of GIS mapping data for the entire North American continent (US, Canada, and Alaska).

Side note...I REALLY wish there was a way to get my MyGig GPS to display this aerial imagery and the topographic maps. These images come geo-referenced and would be IMO worth their weight in gold in the JK's on-board GPS unit in the event of a get-the-hell-out-of-Dodge situation.
How much for one of these maps?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZMagic97
After giving some more thought to the idea, I have been invensting some more time and thought into what I would need. I plan on having the supplies more readily available and having a better amount of items. I recently purchased some more MREs, iodine tablets, and maps of the state. I still have a way to go, but I feel like I have the basic gear/camping supplies down and that my Jeep is well equipt for almost anything.
Except for a spelling bee! Kidding... I love this thread!!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SHREKICON
Except for a spelling bee! Kidding... I love this thread!!
You got me. I'm spoiled with Firefox and its spell check at home. My work computer only has IE.

As for being ready to bug out, I looked into some more info today as well as being able to bug in and having a get home bag.

http://survivalcache.com/urban-survival/
Old 02-25-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Went out yesterday and picked up some MREs, 50ft of paracord (about 20 ft of it woven and now clipped to my bag) fireproof matches, fire starters, glow sticks, a wire saw, and as a neat little book called, "SAS Survival Guide." I started to read it last night and it has a lot of good information for a pocket guide. It's a relatively small book (about 3"x4"x1.25") and talks about survival situations in any climate, how to get water, what to eat, how to ration water, making a shelter, and so on. It is written with the idea that you only have a few basic household items, or nothing at all and that any bug out items or gear you have is an added bonus. Even though some of the stuff was prior knowledge to me, a lot of good information was in there that i didn't know like how to make small emergency kits for your home, car, backpack, etc that contain basic items but can make a life or death difference in extreme situations.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default Vaseline Cotton Balls in a 35mm film canister..

Originally Posted by vtxrecruiter
STOP BUYING FIRE PASTE!
Make "Snotty Cotton" instead. Here's how-
Gat a bag 'o cotton balls. Get a jar of Vaseline. Make sure the Vaseline is WARM (nearly but not quite melted). Work the Vaseline into the cotton balls (one at a time). Store them in a ziploc or vacuum bag. To use- extract a cotton ball, tease a little of the cotton fibers up into a "puff" and hit with a few sparks. Instant fire. AND these work wet, burn a LONG time, and can even be used in an emergency to heat water. Just don't overload the cotton balls, some experimentation is good to get the amount right. I carried these in some BAD, BAD places and ALWAYS got fire.
You can stick 3 or 4 of the vaseline covered jumbo all-cotton cotton balls in a 35mm film canister...
Old 03-13-2012, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just quick question... Has anyone made or seen an "official bug out vehicle" decal for our jeeps?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ZMagic97
Went out yesterday and picked up some MREs, 50ft of paracord (about 20 ft of it woven and now clipped to my bag) fireproof matches, fire starters, glow sticks, a wire saw, and as a neat little book called, "SAS Survival Guide." I started to read it last night and it has a lot of good information for a pocket guide. It's a relatively small book (about 3"x4"x1.25") and talks about survival situations in any climate, how to get water, what to eat, how to ration water, making a shelter, and so on. It is written with the idea that you only have a few basic household items, or nothing at all and that any bug out items or gear you have is an added bonus. Even though some of the stuff was prior knowledge to me, a lot of good information was in there that i didn't know like how to make small emergency kits for your home, car, backpack, etc that contain basic items but can make a life or death difference in extreme situations.
Where does one aquire all of this stuff in one brick and mortar location?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FirewalkerSahara
Just quick question... Has anyone made or seen an "official bug out vehicle" decal for our jeeps?
If you label it as a BOV with decals kinda takes away from really being a BOV the whole idea is to get away not draw a crowd
Old 03-15-2012, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by longms

Where does one aquire all of this stuff in one brick and mortar location?
I got my stuff off Amazon because I had a gift card to use, but an outdoor superstore like Cabelas has almost everything.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:57 AM
JK Newbie

My bug out outfitt

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120316_065734.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	289652

Quick Reply: BUG OUT ....Getting the JK ready...